Should fences be installed to protect people from tracks?

Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 10:00 pm

Friends and relatives of Monique Garcia said that safety barriers should be installed along the railroad to deter people from walking across tracks betweens streets.

"There are no safety barriers," Angela Tovar, Garcia's cousin, said at a candlelight vigil Sunday night at the Downtown Lodi train station where Garcia was killed. "Any teenager could have done what she did."

• posted at 8:03 am on Sat, May 2, 2009.

Should fences be installed to protect people from tracks?No.

• posted at 2:53 pm on Fri, May 1, 2009.

DONT GIVE THE CITY ANY IDEAS. HELL THEY WILL PROBABLY PUT UP TOLL BOOTHS. MAKE US PAY FOR THE FENCES 25 TIMES OVER THEN INSTALL THEM DOUBLE THE TOLL FOR MAINTENCE. THEN SEND LPD OUT THERE TICKET THE HELL OUT OF US NEAR THE FENCE.

• posted at 1:53 am on Thu, Apr 30, 2009.

Well, DUH...of Course! Install fences on every mile of track! Then on every single street where cars travel. Around lakes and rivers! In fact- all humans and animals should be restrained with leashes to prevent errant wanderings. Lawyers should follow them around with cameras and sue all possible examples of non-compliance.We've been WAY to slack for too long in this country.

• posted at 1:57 pm on Wed, Apr 29, 2009.

daredevils

• posted at 1:56 pm on Wed, Apr 29, 2009.

The first article stated that the two girls became friends because they were the only 2, I will place the word daredeils here, that would jump off the bridge.Are not daredevils an endangered species that ignore all common sense for the thrill of escaping death? or not escaping in this case? No fence will work for daredevils or trespassers that become daredevils.

• posted at 1:38 pm on Wed, Apr 29, 2009.

" I double checked before this post and yes, There IS a Railroad Property, NO TRESPASSING sign NEARBY where she died!"

• posted at 1:13 pm on Wed, Apr 29, 2009.

Bob Hussein Loblaw wrote on Apr 28, 2009 9:21 PM:" Jeromeway -- Everytime you open your mouth something callous and insensitive comes out. No wonder you can't spot it. "CAN I GET A AMEN TO THAT!!!!?Jeromeway--seems you have serious anger problems. Lightin up!!everything you say is negative and insensitive...

• posted at 5:44 am on Wed, Apr 29, 2009.

Jeromeway wrote at 6:30am: And Lee - you're one of those who simply can't compete. But thanks for playing anyway. On your way out, pick out a couple of nice parting gifts at the door. "Now Jerome is stealing his comebacks from real facts. Pathetic.

• posted at 5:34 am on Wed, Apr 29, 2009.

Law of ton-age, respect it. If it is bigger, faster, weighs more...repect it and leave it alone.

• posted at 1:30 am on Wed, Apr 29, 2009.

• posted at 6:03 pm on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Bob Hussein Loblaw 9:21 PM:That's about right, Bob.

• posted at 5:16 pm on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

I'm sorry, Bob Hussein Loblaw, but you are simply being disingenuous. The problem that you (and others) seem to have with me is that you just can't keep up. That's neither callous nor insensitive.I do like to argue (debate) about many different subjects; I find a certain sense of satisfaction in it. And there are a few here who behave in the same fashion. But then there are others who simply believe that this is either a day-care center, senior center or a lonely-hearts club. It's none of these things. I've never participated in this forum with the intent of getting to "know" anyone or become life-long buddies. For all I know we've got some real shady characters among us (and I believe it based upon their posts). So personally I choose to keep my distance from everyone. I am aware of only two people who post here that I know in the real world; and that's where I like to leave it.But any time you want to actually debate, Bob Hussein Loblaw, just let me know, ok? I'll let you have a stab at me (not literally). Until then – "blog on."

• posted at 5:07 pm on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Acampo_Mom - where on this page do you find anything about, "Darwinism/Natural selection, . . . [or] idiocy?" As for the word "stupidity," yes I used it, but it was set forth as more of a question for later discussion rather than any sort of accusation; yet I was respectful in the manner in which I approached the subject. Still, it should be understood and accepted that there are many on earth that are indeed stupid; and many more who simply do stupid things. What, we can't talk about them either?What you seem to miss, Acampo-Mom, is that this subject (here) is about whether or not fences should be erected. The point of the story was not to memorialize the young lady who was killed by the train. That article was published earlier. Admittedly, I didn't spend much time on it because of the nature of the story. There is a right and wrong time to raise different subjects (IMO). But you appear to believe that in no event should any subject be debated vigorously. This isn't a coffee clutch; it's a forum for spirited (and respectful) debate.

• posted at 4:26 pm on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

LodiSafeway you said:"But clearly there hasn't been any level of disrespect or insensitivity leveled against either the victim or her family and friends. In fact, the first diversion came from someone pointing fingers at Conservative Republicans. What's with that?"Actually the first diversion came from a couple of someones pointing their fingers at Liberal Democrats.I thought you said you "re-read" all the previous posts?There were a few mentions of Darwinism/Natural selection, stupidity, idiocy, and many of the posts just generally dripping with disdain. The comment about Conservative Republicans was a sarcastic stab at the "Thank you Liberal Dems" comment(s) that a couple found so witty. Which by the way...I still don't understand at all how political affiliation has anything to do with... A) This girl's death.B) Building fences.And for the record, not that it matters, I too believe that fences would be a waste of time, effort and money.MANY MANY people posting on these blogs see fit to get pissed off about something...I saw fit to get pissed off about this.So sue me.

• posted at 4:21 pm on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

• posted at 4:20 pm on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

T&C - Come here and I'll show you.

• posted at 4:05 pm on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

hey Bob Loblaw: "How the heck do you grafitti a chain link fence"?

• posted at 3:25 pm on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

dogs4you - with all due respect, just why would you think that "No need to say anything else, it's all been said?" Are you inferring that "you've" said all that needs to be said; or are you implying that no one else needs to say anything more because you've determined that the conversation here is now over? That was a bit confusing, even to me - an old guy, but not so old as to have been around before the tracks were laid.

• posted at 2:53 pm on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

I would verture a guess that those tracks were there before anyone that has offered a post today was born. If not, your really, really old. No need to say anything else, it`s all been said.

• posted at 1:55 pm on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

lodisafeway- Well said!!! This discussion forum is so people can discuss there opinions with others.No one is trying to say anything negative about Monique Garcia,so i hope the family and other accusers can understand that..As far as the fence. I have to agree with you all after thinking about it more.It does really come down to commen sense,and being respective of something that can kill you.

• posted at 12:32 pm on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

I just re-read every post on regarding this article. I read nothing that could be considered even remotely callous or insensitive. Either we have too many overly-emotional folks trolling around this forum, or there are those who when noticing someone's blog name, see red and simply can't control their disdain for them setting forth their opinions.This is not an obituary; this is not a memorial or funeral for the young girl. It is a discussion forum designed for those who, for whatever reason, just enjoy a good discussion. Unfortunately, logical or intelligent discussions are usually diverted on ridiculous tangents by those who either cannot join in or find their own sense of enjoyment by either acting as the victim or picking fights. Having stated these things, I'm hoping that this tragedy might force parents to better educate their children as well as educating all of us to the dangers that are simply inherent around railroad tracks.But clearly there hasn't been any level of disrespect or insensitivity leveled against either the victim or her family and friends. In fact, the first diversion came from someone pointing fingers at Conservative Republicans. What's with that?

• posted at 11:44 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

What difference would it make if they fenced off the railroad right-of-way. It is fenced off and posted no trespassing where I live. People walk that right-of-way all the time and sometimes they even get run over by trains in the area. You can't protect ignorant people from themselves no matter how hard you try.

• posted at 11:31 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Wingit, I agree. This is not an article about the young lady. It is an article about whether fences should be installed to prevent such events.Fences do not stop people from breaking the law nor do they prevent people from making bad decisions.

• posted at 11:29 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Fences at the track are not a good idea. In fact, that's just ridiculous IMO. Maybe old-fashioned education would help. Did she think she had more time to cross? Possibly, as teens often misjudge things and don't always expect the unexpected (tripping). We don't really know exactly what happened so it's hard to say what would have prevented this accident other than reminders to "beware the train". What we do know is that a family is without their little girl tonight and they are in incredible pain. They need support from their community.

• posted at 11:17 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Acampo_Mom: These callous comments come from people that have either never had a teenager or were unable to raise their teenager well. It's despicable and shows their lack of character and respect for this young life lost and her family.

• posted at 11:12 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Bob Loblaw, while I do agree people can be a little harsh and some young girl has lost her life which is tragic, this is a discussion board about what was in the article, and not afeel good site. For those people who just want the feel good stuff might I suggest the online guest book in the obits.

• posted at 10:17 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

t jefferson, I love your 6:06am comment.I walked to school on train tracks as a kid. When the train was coming, we gave it the respect it deserved. It was bigger, faster, and dangerous.As I read the story yesterday I wondered how does a person walking (or running) get hit by a train? It is not like it creeps up on you. It is there... as big as day. It was not an accident. It was terrible judgement... trying to outrun a train.

• posted at 10:02 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Hey Acampo Mom: You are right that most posts here are callous and insensitive. It would be nice to think a teenager can make a mistake or do something dumb without having to pay the ultimate price. It really riles me that I have to agree with these heartless ghouls, but a fence is a bad idea. It'll be a graffiti magnet.

• posted at 9:39 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

i once cut my foot on the bottom of a chain link fence, whos gonna protect me from this fence your talking about

• posted at 8:27 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

People need to use their own brains. We can't protect and shield each and every person from every danger out there.

• posted at 8:24 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Hey Acampo_mom. Get real. I lost a good friend who died crossing a road. What she did was a tragedy. But it was also her own darn fault. Ron White said it best. "You can't fix Stupid."Go look at the online Darwin Awards to understand what I mean.

• posted at 7:40 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Call me what you want, it's fine if you need something to help inflate your ego. But what surprised ME, was everyone's callousness in reaction to this girl's death. With all the talk of Libs this and Libs that, I only assumed that it MUST be the Cons spouting off with the insensitive remarks. Political affiliation has NOTHING to do with how this girl died, it has NOTHING to do with how it could have been prevented, it has NOTHING to do with how much her family is grieving. You guys are arguing about FENCES!?!?And what? I'm supposed to be embarrassed?

• posted at 7:12 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

T-Jeff 8:54am-- BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!I could not have said it better.What surprises me is that there is a bleeding heart liberal living in Acampo. She must be a transplant, lol.

• posted at 6:49 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

warrenb1973, and everyone else who wants this fence. what makes you think crossing at Lodi Ave is any safer? it cant be. Like so many have said, its not hard to look before you cross. its like the train can swerve. The only way to stop this is to have Kettleman and Turner-esque RR crossing all through Lodi. Never gonna happen. People need to take responsibility for themselves.HOwever, dont take this to mean what happened to this poor girl isnt a horrible thing. RIP Monique.

• posted at 6:29 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

I wonder if we would be talking about fences if she had been in the area that is ok to cross at?She still would not have made it, what if she was in a car the same scenerio.People will continue to make bad choices or miss time walking running or driving across the tracks. Very sad situation for all, there is NOTHING that will keep people off the tracks and making dangerous decisions that is just human nature and teens think they are indestructable!Very sorry for the family, the young lady , her friend and the driver of the train, this is a no win situation.

• posted at 6:22 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

"Any teenager could have done what she did."---well then, tell me how many teenagers suffered the same fate?Common sense is what we need, not fences.

• posted at 6:14 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

lodisafeway... I agree 100% with your post at 10:59 AM. This was no accident. She knew exactly what she was doing as she approached the Cherry Packing Plant and heard the train whistle warning. She made the PERSONAL choice to trespass and place her life in DANGER! Liberals always want things "Sugar Coated"! This death was Avoidable clearly! Bad decisions = bad consequences! No one can dispute that FACT!

• posted at 6:10 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

" You CANNOT force anyone walking to school or home, headed for the RTD station or City Bus Station "Illegally trespassing on Railroad Property to use "Common Sense!" An 8 foot quality Chain link fence, monitored by the City and folks like me will keep it repaired. Spoiled people who HAVE to Trespass can just walk to Lodi Avenue or Pine Street, REGARDLESS of their Age! People are expected to conform to the law for our own safety & protection, not Violate the law because it is convenient to them!

• posted at 6:09 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

You CANNOT for anyone walking to school or home, headed for the RTD station or City Bus Station "Illegally trespassing on Railroad Property to use "Common Sense!" An 8 foot quality Chain link fence, monitored by the City and folks like me will keep it repaired. Spoiled people who HAVE to Trespass can just walk to Lodi Avenue or Pine Street, REGARDLESS of their Age! People are expected to conform to the law for our own safety & protection, not Violate the law because it is convenient to us!

• posted at 5:59 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

motoracn116 - while agree with the majority of your recent post, I submit that her death, while tragic, was not an "accident." While it was entirely preventable, if Monique Garcia had not been where she was not supposed to be, she would be alive today. In fact, she was trespassing on UP property. Nothing went wrong beyond the control of anyone involved, ergo - no accident.It's way beyond the point where we've gotten so politically correct that we can no longer identify things as they truly are; not as we wish (or want) them to be. Taking responsibility for our actions is a great place to begin teaching our children when they’re young that hopefully will result in them actually thinking before moving ahead with something as foolish and dangerous as hanging around an active railroad.

• posted at 5:48 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

The other article mentions a video from the train. If this is a forward facing camera then the investigators should have a good view of what really happened.But like other have said here, if you try to beat a train you will lose. It is like my daddy taught me when driving, never cross an intersection unless you know you can make it across or that the other cars can stop if you stall. Cars may honk and friends may encourage you to beat the train across, but it isn't their lives they are risking.

• posted at 5:31 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

HUM, how about should we install some device so only smart people can make our decisions for us? Come on people, one can only do so much then people need to be responsible for themselves! This is a tragic accident but nothing we do can every prevent all tragic events. I feel really badly for her and her entire friends & family, but it was an accident.

• posted at 5:10 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

I don't believe anyone here is trying to be cruel or insensitive to the pain this family is obviously feeling. In their grief I'm not at all surprised that they need to find someone/something to blame for the death of such a young person. I just hope that once they begin to emerge from their sorrow some hungry lawyer doesn't convince them to file a lawsuit. If this happens, they will be criticized, and rightly so.The really tragic part of this is that it simply didn't have to happen. This was no "accident," at least not if the definition of the word is applied correctly. If no other factors exist (mental defect, drugs, alcohol, etc.), this boils down to arrogance or stupidity. But until these facts are revealed, I'll withhold judgment on the deceased child and her family.But I won't stand by and say nothing if the "tracks" are continued to be blamed; those inanimate objects are completely innocent; as are those who controlled the train that operates upon them.

• posted at 3:54 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Fences are NOT going to help - Using common sense will. She tried to beat the train, even if she was in a legal place to cross, she wouldn't of made it. As I said, she was tring to beat the train. If they build a fence, someone will just through it, over it or under it. That will NOT help. Perhaps they can build a 50 foot wall, then pay extra to have the stupid waste of money murals painted on it.

• posted at 3:54 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Acampo_mom - So personal responsibility is now cold heartless, republicanism. Do me a favor, keep your pampered victims at home and don't inflict the rest of the world with their presence.You are the problem with this country today. Liberals don't ever build or create anything. They just tear down that which their betters have created. In some ways I blame you and your ilk for this tragedy. This victim mentality and complete sense of entitlement probably emboldened this person to jump in front of a moving train as opposed to taking the logical/rational approach of waiting. You will never take responsibility for anything as long as there is someone else to blame. Nuff said, looser, keep your brats at home in their sheltered existence.

• posted at 3:50 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Acampo_Mom - into many of our days, a little darkness must come. But it isn't because of "cold, heartless Conservative Republicans." Yet I'm not surprised you think this way. Once again, this forum is for the discussion of the issues that are laid before us. And while the death of any child is tragic, there are lessons to be learned.Many might believe that a fence would solve this problem; I don't believe it would. Keeping our children safe begins when they are young through the use of education and discipline. While we don't know the history of Monique Garcia in this regard, something obviously went wrong. But it isn't the train's fault; nor the railroad's; nor the conductor's; nor the tracks'. It is the fault of the very same youngster who defied the odds and walked too close to an obvious danger.Many of us here are simply trying to be realistic; not cold or heartless. The sun doesn't shine on us every day, Acampo_Mom, in spite of what you might like to believe (or desire).

• posted at 3:39 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

The title to this story is quite telling: it was the "tracks" that caused this tragedy! I'm sure the railroad will be sued for having such irresponsible tracks in that one area that caused the death of this young lady. "Any teenager could have done what [Monique Garcia] did," the article reads. Yes, this is true; but they should be taught NOT to do these types of things.This reminds me of stories where "SUVs" are somehow held responsible for the deaths of people in auto accidents; not the people actually driving them; or those who somehow get in the way of them.Even at 17 we are expected to take care of ourselves. Those tracks have been in place for a very long time. Certainly anyone over the age of 12 understands if you stand too close to them or even on them when a train is approaching that there is a risk of injury and death. I would have thought the blaring horn might be a reminder. But sadly, this won't be the last time someone dies because of circumstances like these. Would a fence solve the problem? Not a chance.

• posted at 3:35 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Acampo Mom, are you serious? We're upset with what T-Jeff calls the "Victim Mentality."Perhaps in your scenario we should install fences along all streets and overhead walkways at the crosswalks?My heart goes out to the family of Monique but this 17yo girl made the choice to cross the tracks with the train approaching. She tripped and a terrible accident occurred.Those train tracks have been there forever and only recently has this become a problem. I believe this is due to poor judgement plain and simple.

• posted at 3:34 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

An 8 Foot Fence with a HIGH Quality CCTV with adequate lighting will ensure a good CLEAR picture of dumb people cutting a whole in the fence! Grow up and walk over to Lodi Avenue or Pine Street. If ya can't leave home a few minutes earlier to go to SCHOOL or RTD or City bus, someone has a problem. Life is precious and you only get one chance to be safe! "Do you think this tragic loss will deter anyone from crossing ILLEGALLY behind the Cherry Packing Plant? No! I am soory, no offense, but I find it very hard to believe this was an accident! The train blows their whistle long before they hit someone, the ground shakes under you and there was only ONE set of tracks to cross! The railroad ties face East to West, making it near impossible to trip on! Regardless of how the accident/death occured, it could have been 100% AVOIDED had she walked over to pine Street or Lodi Avenue, and she refused to do that!

• posted at 3:33 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

You have got to be kidding!A fence? When a million pounds of earth shaking and whistle blowing steel comes hurling down the tracks and still people get close enough to get killed it means one of three things. The person was under the influence, suicidal or plain irresponsible.

• posted at 3:25 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

When we were 7, 9, and 10 (beyond and perhaps younger) we loved to put a penny on the tracks just before the train passed. We also spent hours walking along the tracks, picking up rocks and cracking them open to see if we could find a crystal inside. We put our ear to the tracks to try to judge its distance -- just like in the movies! Yes, we knew that the train could kill us if we were on the tracks but......duhhhhh. How silly to put up barriers to protect anyone over the age of 5 from being hit by such an obvious hazard.

• posted at 3:14 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Seriously???? Fences???? If the City puts fences up - they'll cut them and go through them anyways. Then there'll be lawsuits because the fences weren't kept up and someone else got killed by a train. Where's the common sense and personal responsibility here? While it is a tragedy, and I feel for her family - where were they when she was growing up? Was she drinking when she crossed? How could she NOT hear the train coming? Did her parents not tell her to look both ways before crossing the street - or train tracks in this case? I am tired of people not taking any responsibility for their own actions.

• posted at 3:12 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

People will do what they want to. If you put a fence in their way they will find a way around, through or under it. These are tragic accidents that could be avoided if people just take the few extra minutes and save their lives by walkiing a few extra yards to the street crossing, or just wait for the train to pass.

• posted at 3:00 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

"Should shields be installed to prevent people from looking at the sun?"

• posted at 2:59 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Ok, forget the fence, they will just cut through it, get hit, and blame the city or railroad for trapping the kid inside when the train came by. Let’s build an elevated railway through the whole city. That will cut down the deaths substantially… well except for the taggers who managed to find their way up there. But hey, who honestly will care about that? In the Lib Dem mind, a project like this would be worthwhile and justified. Throwing money at problems fixes everything, right? Slap on some grape art and the council will be sold, but that’s another discussion. Hmmm, I think I’d rather see parents slap some sense into these kids.

• posted at 2:47 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Thanks Conservative Republicans for your cold, heartless, pointless drivel. Thanks for that; it really darkened my day.

• posted at 2:45 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Trains, they're huge, they're loud, and you know exactly where they're going. Bad judgment is the only way you'll get injured by one. We can't idiot proof the world. This was nothing more than a horrible accident because someone put them self in harms way.

• posted at 2:43 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

BUILD IT!!! OUR GANGBANGERS AND CRACKHEADS WILL PATROL THE AREA....FOR US!...

• posted at 2:35 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

A fence will never work. You can climb it, you can cut through it, and you can knock it down. And who is going to PAY for it? Oh I know, US the tax payers. How about building a centralized toll crossing? Everybody that wants to cross the tracks can go there to cross. It will be safe and the money it brings in can go to build a tunnel. That's it, a tunnel. It won't hurt to climb it, you can't cut through it or knock it down. Cars can cross at Turner and Kettleman. To heck with the cars because, it's all about keeping people off the tracks, right. It all comes down to the parents that you see that show their kids how to cross streets against red lights, without looking, or just not paying any attention. It’s the parents place to teach their kids about the dangers of crossing railroad tracks. PERIOD. It’s not the schools, City’s, railroads or anybody else’s place. Even kids have brains, they just need to start using them. To bad this happened but as sure as I’m sorry, it won’t be the last time. People and trains don’t play well together.

• posted at 2:24 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Wow warren, really be hard to walk a 100 yards in each direction. Tell me you are not that naive to believe a fence in one area would solve the problem. I fear that you can vote....

• posted at 2:22 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

This just blows my mind that were even talking about this. t jefferson said it best "Thank you Liberal Dems for creating this victim mentality in this state. "

• posted at 2:06 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

I agree with you all. But the fact is that these people cross at the same spot, at the end of Walnut st. a fence from Walnut to lodi ave, would help. its not a solution but its a small price to pay to try and make these people walk to lodi ave to cross!!!

• posted at 2:02 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Its Darwinian.If a person is foolish enough to simply walk across BIG SHINY STEEL RAILS without looking back and forth first....and if a person is so mentally unaware to HEAR and FEEL a GIANT GROUND SHAKING train...well, its a "natural selection" thing, isn't it?If fences need to be built, well, there's other places where they have higher priority than endless miles of railroad track, don't ya think??

• posted at 1:44 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

The question is ridiculous. These trains make a racket blowing their horns at many crossings before they reach the downtown. When trains move out of they station they are noisy and slow moving. Fencing is an overreaction. Whatever happened to additional posting and enforcement of the pedestrian railroad crossing laws? Why should we pay for and endure an eyesore that will be ignored anyway? The same logic would likewise dictate we should fence every major roadway.

• posted at 1:19 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

Why not prohibit the trains from using the tracks....no that will not work. I know how about looking before you cross and if a train is coming dont cross less expencive and it works.

• posted at 1:06 am on Tue, Apr 28, 2009.

No fences should not be put up. While this is a tragedy, it is avoidable. Trains do not move off the tracks, they do not accelerate or decelerate quickly. Waiting until the train had passes would have been an option. Millions of people everyday cross over train tracks without incident, why penalize all of these people with the burden of paying for fences that won't work and will just be an eyesore. This country has lost all sense of personal responsibility and I fear what is coming. Thank you Liberal Dems for creating this victim mentality in this state.

• posted at 10:23 pm on Mon, Apr 27, 2009.

A 6ft wall isn't that big, anyone with a little upper body strength can climb this with little to no problem at all, but an extra 4ft to make it 10ft tall and it'd be a bit more of a challenge to even the average height person.Also the City of Lodi should consider moving RTD's boarding area at the Lodi Train station. Have them board where Greyhound use to board (where the abandoned Greyhound office is); this side of the station is closer to the gates/signals.