Several area residents allegedly involved in sex crimes appeared in court this week. This update includes a former Lodi Unified School District bus driver, a former Lodi Boys and Girls Club employee, a Lockeford landscaper, and a Stockton resident who allegedly stockpiled child pornography.
Below is a recap of their court cases:
The case against Richard Dale Evans, 59, a former bus driver who faces felony sex counts, will continue June 30 in Stockton Superior Court. Evans was in court for a pre-trial hearing Thursday, but no new developments took place, said Kristine Reed, San Joaquin County deputy district attorney.
Evans, a former Lodi Unified School bus driver, is facing multiple felony counts, including kidnapping a victim under the age of 14 and lewd acts upon a child. He is accused of sexually assaulting an 8-year-old girl with special needs on separate occasions in October and November.
He was arrested by the Stockton Police Department last year and has been incarcerated in the San Joaquin County Jail since Nov. 4, 2010.
Evans is being held on a $2.4 million bond, according to the San Joaquin Sheriff's Department website.
The trial of a Lockeford man accused of child molestation will continue next month when the court receives reports on the defendant's mental ability to stand trial.
James Timothy Pratt, 33, will return to court when officials from Valley Mountain Regional Center issue a report to a judge July 12, said Reed the deputy district attorney.
Pratt is charged with six felony charges of lewd acts on a child younger than 14, and the district attorney's office alleges that Pratt's acts all involved the same victim over a period of several months when he was employed as a landscaper.
Pratt remains in custody on a $525,000 bond, according to the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Department website.
The trial for Michael Allan Porter, 21, a former employee of the Lodi Boys and Girls Club, will begin July 8.
Porter is charged with two counts of lewd acts on a child and arranging to meet a minor for lewd acts, said Robert Martinelli, deputy district attorney for San Joaquin County.
Porter is being held on a $510,000 bond and has been incarcerated in San Joaquin County Jail since April 1. If convicted, Porter faces a maximum prison term of eight years and eight months, Martinelli said.
James Dombeck, 40, of Stockton, has been indicted by a federal grand jury for allegedly possessing, receiving and sharing child pornography, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.
Dombeck allegedly downloaded and shared pornography depicting children from January 2006 and May 22, 2011, the attorney's office said in a press release.
The indictment also alleges that Dombeck was in possession of child pornography as recently as June 2.
The case was uncovered as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative by the Department of Justice, the attorney's office said.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Kyle Reardon will prosecute the case. If convicted, Dombeck could face between five and 20 years in federal prison for the receipt of child pornography. The maximum penalty for possession of child pornography is 10 years in prison, according to the attorney's office.
Contact reporter Jordan Guinn at firstname.lastname@example.org.