Monterey County family reunited with their dog in Lodi, which they thought had been euthanized

Posted: Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:00 pm

When Diane Cosentini agreed to foster Jack, a rat terrier from Monterey, she couldn't even imagine what troubles he had faced.

"All we knew was that he was in a shelter and had been attacked by some wild animal," Cosentini said.

• posted at 4:03 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

Brian Feulner: Nice photo! :-)

• posted at 4:02 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

I love this picture of Jack with Mr. Thommarson. Jack's face is just priceless.

• posted at 4:01 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

OTH: I know. It's hard. Ya just want to take them all home. It's really sad what people have done, and continue to do, to loving pets. Humans can be disgusting.

• posted at 3:59 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

cmd: I too wish the bill would pass. There is really NO reason it should not pass. Oh, and the males (human men) that have an issue with their dogs being neutered are just immature weak cowards. They need to get over it and do what is right, like a real man would do.

• posted at 5:16 am on Sun, Aug 10, 2008.

LodianI have a cat now that wondered into my life. The shelter said he would be dead in 3 days, and I just couldn't do it. I would keep him but he's an outdoor/indoor car and I have 2 females that are strictly indoor. He is part orange tabby and has that sweet disposition.To the ladies who saved this dog, bless you. I think God has a special place for people who go out of their way for animals.

• posted at 3:19 am on Sun, Aug 10, 2008.

Hi WY - hope your summer is going well!

• posted at 9:36 am on Fri, Aug 8, 2008.

Lodian - I agree. However, I do not think the spay/neuter bill will pass in CA requiring animal owners to do so unless they have a special permit as a breeder. I wish they would pass that bill even though I have several male friends who are absolutely against neutering b/c they cringe at the thought. However, the immediate problem is that lots are being put down before they have enough time to either be found or adopted out which is really sad.

• posted at 8:26 am on Fri, Aug 8, 2008.

Hey there nylodian... long time no see

• posted at 1:24 pm on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

I believe that irresponable people should be spayed or neuted. An animal is only as good as the person that ownes them. I`m not sure who came up with the microchip idea , but for a person that loves his dog its a way home if the animal should ever get lost. Well said Lodian. Both my Labs have been chiped, look for Discount Pets, they run a low cost chip program every now and then, well worth the time to stand in line.

• posted at 9:21 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Congratulations to the Sentinel for putting this story on page 1. It's refreshing to read news about wonderful volunteer organizations like Ratbone Rescues and caring volunteers like Diane Cosentini, who is willing to have a "hairy house" so dogs like Jack can find a good home (or their original one). Thank you for the smile.

• posted at 7:10 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Good doggie! I've seen estimates that 96% of people are basically good and decent; the other 4% do bad things. Yet the 4% usually get the front page of the newspaper or the lead story on the nightly news. Why don't we put the 96% on the cover of newspapers or as the top story on the evening news?

• posted at 6:50 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

GOOOO, JACK! :-)

• posted at 6:49 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

To be very clear... In no way is my previous post directed towards the abused, neglected and abandoned pets. It is directed, with disgust, at irresponsible pet owners. Just want to be clear. Thanks

• posted at 6:43 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

cmd: The REAL crime is that irresponsible pet owners do not spay/neuter their pets and also allow them to run around breeding. This creates thousands of animals that have to be put down in our local shelters, leaving no room for a cat/dog for more than a couple of days. I would love to see the day when our shelters can only take care of a beloved family pet that just got away from home one day. For that to happen all the human idiots would have to be spayed or neutered in order to kill off their lazy kind. The killing of thousands of animals in our local shelters, due to complete morons, is appalling to me. A shelter should be there only to help out with pets that run off, get away from their responsible owner or need help due to a disaster etc, not because some jerk is too lazy to "care" for their pet. The shelter should be there for pets like JACK!

• posted at 6:38 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Ratbone Rescues is such a wonderful organization for helping rat terriers in need. Thank you to LNS for running such heartwarming story - too bad all news can't be this good!

• posted at 6:18 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

that happy picture of jack being scratched makes me want to give my dog a hug and a good scratch

• posted at 6:17 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

I think it is horrible that budget crunches have left shelters being able to only keep dogs for 3 days. Could you imagine going away on a cruise, paying the neighbor kid to feed and look after your dog, returning a week later to find out that he left the gate open, your baby got out and is now euthanized because you realized what happened and started calling on day 5 or even day 4 of your dog being in the shelter. Sad! I only hope that the microchip in my dog will help then contact my parents if I am away and my dog is found.

• posted at 6:11 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

I was so happy for Jack and his parents I had tears in my eyes. Thanks LNS for running this story to remind us there is much good happening in the world! :)

• posted at 5:56 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

What a refreshing way to start my day when I read the front page story about Jack. There should be more stories like this in the news. Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

• posted at 4:18 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Lodian, well said.

• posted at 4:17 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Nicole, knowing Diane as I do, your parent's baby was well taken care of and well loved. Last time I saw her she was bragging about what a cutie Jack is.

• posted at 4:13 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Wow! I would have loved to witness that reunion. What a happy story. Jack has surely got a couple of angels by his side... I think their names are Diane and Catherine (and I'm sure there are many more too!). I'd say "Good luck, Jack!" but I think he already has lots o' luck. Happy tails! :-)

• posted at 3:53 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Catherine and Diane are both truly amazig people! Pat and Wendell are my parents! They were both heartbroken when told Jack had been put down. My mom's gut feeling wouldnt quit. She was overjoyed to find out Jack was not put down but actually alive and living with Diane in Lodi!Thank you both for taking care of Jack! My parents are so relieved and happy that Jack is finally home! We are having a welcome home party for him this weekend!Again, thank you!

• posted at 3:06 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Diane, you are an amazing person for running a rescue for these dogs. God bless you and job well done.

• posted at 3:04 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Rat Terriers are terrorists. Not much effort went into locating our missing menace.