'Dare to dream'

Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 10:00 pm

Rachel Scott, a student at Columbine High School during the 1999 shooting, was shot and killed during the rampage as she ate lunch with her friend.

Shortly after her death, her parents found one of their daughter's many scrawlings on the back of a clothes dresser.

• posted at 10:13 am on Wed, Dec 5, 2007.

that is sad, because that girl wuz kind, sweet, innocent. and not only that,she had a true, future goal, which is, from whut i heard, she wanted 2 B an actress. if you r so upset at someone, and you decide to kill that person, you betta think twice B4 you do so, and try to find a betta way to handle, or ignore the situation. because then innocent people, ends up gettin hurt or killed. and because she was killed, her dream wuz ruined! KILLING DOESNT SOLVE ANYTHING!

• posted at 8:09 pm on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

Taxpayer (the one that can spell---due to Spellcheck!)... You are an ignorant fool. You must have been one of those kids that did all the bullying in school, huh? Grow up. You're not in high school anymore and you still don't have a clue. Sad.

• posted at 5:11 am on Sat, Dec 1, 2007.

There was more than that. Yes, that was the biggest lesson, but she never said that was the ONE reason they did it. She also talked about the negative stuff they put in to their minds with violent video games. She also made the point that THAT wasn't the ONE thing that caused it either. It was a mix of things. This is why she had FOUR lessons in her presentation. Besides...even if that was the ONLY lesson, why shouldn't kids learn to be nicer to each other?

• posted at 4:19 pm on Fri, Nov 30, 2007.

This one woman does not get to keep all $3700. It costs money for her to travel, as well as lodging and food. It included 5 speaking engagements as well as training sessions with a smaller group of students at each school. It includes a character education curriculum, something that doesn't get focused on in todays test-driven culture. She's not some greedy beggar trying to profit off of a tragedy. She's trying to prevent future tragedies. It was a powerful presentation and well worth the money spent. My students are still talking about it.

• posted at 11:47 am on Fri, Nov 30, 2007.

Well, life is too short. I remember being five years old like yesterday, and now my 18th is upcoming in less than two months already. I am going to CSU Northridge in July. Time goes by too fast. I want you to keep in mind: say "I love you" and spend as much as time as possible with your family and friends, people you love. Make unforgettable memories because time will be gone before you know it.

• posted at 3:49 pm on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

(cont) I just wonder if you had any child there in the crowd? or are all you children, if you have any, are grown and gone. Maybe you dont have a child in the shcools at all and feel that your 'tax dollars' should go to what, lining the pockets of the employees at the top of the food chain, instead of teaching children any way that gets the point across to st least one student. that would be better than shooting up the school and causing the loss of any lives. God Bless you Nicole.

• posted at 3:48 pm on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

Out of all of the presentations I've seen during my school years, this one was by far the most impacting, thought provoking assembly I've ever seen. To the girls who were making fun of Nicole, that is EXACTLY what Rachel wanted to get rid of! I certainly hope you didn't sign that banner during lunch. Most of my friends were crying when we saw this (including some guys). It really opened my eyes and made me realize, we -could- die at anytime. So we need to make the most out of life and care for our friends and family.

• posted at 3:42 pm on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

You just showed all who read the comments just how heartless people are in Lodi. lets do the math, $3700 for 5 speeches equals $740.00 each. Just try adn get any speaker for that little money and see just what answers your request. maybe you should stop being so worried about the money and see just what this young girl has to say to the children of Lodi Schools. If what she said changees just one student would the cost be worth it?

• posted at 3:00 pm on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

It sounds like the lesson was: "This tragedy was caused because people picked on those two boys too much." I don't agree with that assessment of the situation in Columbine. It was a cold calculated slaughter, perpetrated by two psychopaths. Teasing and bullying are a real problem, but that cannot be the only reason for the massacre.

• posted at 2:17 pm on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

It's seems like some of you feel white people should be ashaned to be white.

• posted at 2:16 pm on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

Samantha, Tokay senior: Unfortunately, Samantha, some people will never change and become kind, tolerant or educated. That's a very sad fact.

• posted at 2:06 pm on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

Ashamed: Those students should have been escorted out, parents called and then sent home. That should not have been tolerated for one minute.

• posted at 11:41 am on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

(More) Sure, I can't hear, but I don't even view myself as a deaf person. I view myself as a normal functional person without the ability to hear, that's all. Everything else I act, think, and function exactly like any other hearing person. I have known some Tokay students ever since fourth grade. That's eight years, and some of them hasn't changed their attitude or treatment of me even a bit. Eight years and nothing changes. It's about time that the public get educated about tolerance and kindness.

• posted at 11:39 am on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

I attended the presentation yesterday and honestly, I feel very grateful for Nowlen to have come. There is a meaningful lesson to be learnt. Born deaf myself, I grew up in the normal hearing world. I can personally attest to the countless times that I've been taunted, teased, condescended upon, mocked, etc. all because of a plain trait that is part of who I am.

• posted at 9:54 am on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

You're one of those parents, aren't you. Lily white Lodi. LOL

• posted at 9:03 am on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

What a sad story. I cannot imagine the horror that this girl witnessed that day in the library. But I guess $3700 a day makes it worth retelling the story. As a taxpayer, I am concerned about the financial cost to the district. I am sure the presentation was great, but $3700 a day?

• posted at 8:55 am on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

Ive read your foolish comments for so long and I'm always amazed when you top yourself with another goofy thought.

• posted at 8:04 am on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

My son invited me to the presentation last night and I am so glad we went, especially together. It was very powerful. (I cried - how can you not?) Sounds to me that some of you people should have been there as well - and actually listened to what Nicole had to say! Treat others with kindness - that was the message. We can ALL learn from that.

• posted at 7:41 am on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

When I got home from work last night, I was greeted with a long hug and kiss. My son told me how much he loved me and was sorry. I was shocked as he is almose 18 years old. I asked him why such a sudden display of affection. He told me that we could all die at any time, and we should appreciate our loved ones. THANK YOU for having this wonderful speaker, we need more of them!

• posted at 7:29 am on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

I am totally offended! Becausae I am PROUD to be white does not make me a racist. What is the difference of an African American being proud to be black or a Hispanic being proud to be Mexican? Why is it that it is okay for other races to show pride, but when a white person does it, it is racist?

• posted at 7:13 am on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

i like it

• posted at 5:55 am on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

Couldn't have been those non-racist little white kids, could it?I could imagine the nice remarks from livable, lovable lily white Lodians if she were a minority. These kids get it from their own parents, some of whom sit on council and management seats right here in your lovely racist town.

• posted at 5:16 am on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

Note from Editor Rich Hanner to Ashamed. I understand your concern and you may have information that would be useful to us. Please call to discuss; I will also explain why we can't post your comments at this time. My number is 369-7035. Thank you.

• posted at 5:15 am on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

students that were mocking Ms. Nowlen, wake up. It's because of people like you that "different" students have complexes. Let's see how those girls look and act after they have been through a horrific incident in their lives. Shame on you, we are all human beings, be kind, the different ones may turn out to be the best friend you ever had.

• posted at 3:46 am on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

I attended an Every 15 Minutes presentation one year and there were some girls making fun and saying stuff like "Oooo she's dead they said, but I saw her in class this morning.... It's so stupid." The fact is some young adults grow up slower than others. I just hope none of these young "ladies" ever have to face anything like this.

• posted at 3:12 am on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

The fact that you are even blogging about that incident is ridiculous. What's the matter with you. The whole world does not need to know that there were some high school girls making fun of the speaker for her weight and appearance...... Why would you even post something like that? You have no tact.

• posted at 1:35 am on Thu, Nov 29, 2007.

My son attended this presentation and said that while Nicole Nowlen was speaking, there were several Tokay girls mocking her for her "weight" and criticizing her as being "ugly". They also made comments about how "this couldn't really happen". So apparently while a serious lesson was being taught, there were students who obviously weren't getting the message.