A Lodi recycling center was closed Wednesday after a late night fire burned as many as 150 tons of recycled goods, fire officials said.
There were no injuries, and no structures were destroyed, said Battalion Chief George Juelch.
Hours after the fire broke out around 11:30 p.m., Lodi firefighters remained at Central Valley Waste Services, 1333 E. Turner Road, while smoke lingered in the air Wednesday morning.
At one point, 16 firefighters were called to the blaze, Juelch said. Though they soon gained control of the fire, several firefighters remained at the scene for hours while the debris smoldered.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known, though Juelch said there was no reason to believe it was suspicious. Waste management officials said the blaze likely started because a flammable item was accidentally added to the pile, though they did not know for sure.
The recycled goods are stacked in a heap encased by a net before they are bailed or packaged and then sold, said Thom Sanchez, director of business development for Central Valley Waste.
The $10,000 net will have to be replaced, and the damaged goods were valued at $30,000 to $40,000, Sanchez said.
Though the buy-back center was closed Wednesday, it will be open again today for those wanting to sell their recycled goods.
"Everything is back to normal," Sanchez said, adding that waste pick-up services were not hindered.
After firefighters gained control of the blaze and waste officials arrived on the scene around 12:15 a.m., they began using front-loading tractors to pull the remaining goods into the open air so the fire would not continue moving through the pile, Juelch said.
Though no hazardous materials were involved in the blaze, paper, plastic and other sorted recycleables were burnt. The remains will have to be transferred to a landfill rather than being recycled, due to the damage, Juelch said.
Contact reporter Layla Bohm at firstname.lastname@example.org.