- Mike Gillespie at a glance
Occupation: Assistant superintendent for Gateway Community Charters in Sacramento.
Education: Bachelor of Arts in psychology from University of the Pacific with teaching credential; admin credential from California State University, Sacramento in the Bilingual Leadership Training Program.
Family: Wife Kimberly teaches at St. Mary’s High School; two sons attend Lodi High School.
- Volunteer teacher’s assistant at a Navajo reservation.
- Fifth-grade teacher in Greenfield for two years.
- Migrant education program at Lodi Unified School District.
- Vice-principal at Heritage Elementary School for three years.
- Founding principal of Joe Serna Jr. Charter School, where he served 12 years.
— Christina Cornejo
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 12:00 am
A former principal at Joe Serna Jr. Charter School in Lodi, Mike Gillespie believes he is the leader San Joaquin County needs to help school districts weather the upcoming changes in education.
“We need someone from the outside who doesn’t have a particular agenda or a set of experiences that influence them,” Gillespie said. “I can go in there and make changes without people thinking I have an axe to grind.”
Saturday, May 17, 2014 12:00 am.