Lodi inmate counselor charged with five felonies relating to alleged abuse of wife

Posted: Friday, September 4, 2009 10:00 pm

A Lodi correctional counselor and firearms instructor was charged Friday with five felonies relating to the alleged abuse of the woman he married in China four years ago.

Michael Patrick O'Riley, 60, is being held on $950,000 bail. Police who arrested him also seized more than $20,000 in cash and 12 firearms.

• 1 Use your real name. You must register with your full first and last name before you can comment. (And don't pretend you're someone else.)
  • 3 Don't threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
  • 6 Stay on topic. Make sure your comments are about the story. Don't insult each other.
  • 7 Tell us if the discussion is getting out of hand. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.

• posted at 11:23 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

he said she said. doesn't sound like a strong case for the woman. maybe an abuse of our 911 system. kinda like callin 911 cuz they ran outta mc nuggets.

• posted at 3:19 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

Does Officer Metcalf collect guns? If not, maybe that explains why O'Riley had more than she. The guns were in cases, so again where is the crime. I hope some man haters are not on the jury because you know what will happen. As far as Country's statement, I have dated men and broke up with them so had nothing good to say either. So what? Doesn't mean the men were abusers. wmckellips' statement should carry a lot of weight as she knew both people involved.

• posted at 3:13 am on Thu, Sep 10, 2009.

If I were leaving some who was supposedly hysterical, the first thing I would do is load my guns and money in the car. Lord knows what the woman would have claimed if she played with the gun and shot herself. Ever hear of gun collectors? Usually they keep their guns in cases. Where is the crime? wmckellips, thank you for your statement. The girls who dated him, could this be sour grapes? I'm thinking so. I'm a woman and have seen women in action before.

• posted at 3:35 am on Wed, Sep 9, 2009.

The wife sounds crazy - but the reporting on this is even crazier. The story makes the officer sound like a keystone cop. I hope the REAL truth comes out. I hope he gets a non-man-hating DA to prosecute him.

• posted at 2:58 pm on Tue, Sep 8, 2009.

this guy counsels inmates? yikes!

• posted at 12:53 pm on Mon, Sep 7, 2009.

I hope those that have inside information about this case will take their knowledge to the police.

• posted at 11:33 am on Mon, Sep 7, 2009.

There are two accounts here in the comments section re: women who've been in relationships with this guy, and both say this story's probably true. I believe that much more than I believe any speculation.

• posted at 10:04 am on Mon, Sep 7, 2009.

Good Point Dogbark, if the officer was in her car, what good would pulling out her weapon do especially if she is right handed, shoot through the wind shield. She backed up too distance herself from the man with the gun cases, stopped her car and drew her gun again. In the interum, she must have returned her weapon to it`s holster, and at the approprate time, drew it again. After stopping her car, she partially stepped from the car, again if she was right handed, in order to use her weapon if need be, she would have been fully exposed, behind the door. To have $20,000 in cash is not a crime, nor is having rifles in cases. The office stated she has never seen anyone that scared, how long has she been on the force. If she wants to talk scared, talk to some of the veterans who have taken fire.

• posted at 6:20 am on Mon, Sep 7, 2009.

Hey Godfather, isn't the shotgun you are specifically speaking about the "Lupero?"

• posted at 6:15 am on Mon, Sep 7, 2009.

""The officer, still in her car, drew her gun and unlocked the passenger door so the frantic woman could get inside. Metcalf drove in reverse down the alley to get some distance from the man with guns, then stepped partially out of the car and drew her gun on the man."""Lets see, she drew a gun while still in the car, then drew a gun after stepping out of the car. No mention of reholstering. Hmmm, so, did officer sixshooter draw two guns on the man with guns, er, ah, I mean gun-cases?LNS note: not a well written sentence.

• posted at 4:27 am on Mon, Sep 7, 2009.

I would like to say I believe her. I dated this guy and know him. All of youare referring to HER.....believe me, that sweet talk ain't the real HIM!!

• posted at 3:32 am on Mon, Sep 7, 2009.

pd2care wrote on Sept. 6, 2009 11:34 AM:" Do you people honestly think they are going to publish their evidence in the newspaper? They still have to get a non-biased jury."I have NEVER asked much of Lodi, and have given countless hours to help Lodi look nice! Please Lodi, just this "ONCE" grant me this one request: "Put me on your Jury List"!

• posted at 3:28 am on Mon, Sep 7, 2009.

To saoirse: "Verbal abuse is NOT a crime. It is not nice but NOT a crime. Millions and millions of couples, be they "HETRO or GAY" argue,, scream, and say things at times that are said in the heat of the moment. THAT IS NOT A CRIME...so I can see your confusion. saoirse, Just hang in there saoirse... things will get better for you. Someone wanting out of a marriage to an AMERICAN will say anything they can to "Punish" the American for wanting to end their marriage!

• posted at 3:24 am on Mon, Sep 7, 2009.

6 police calls and she is alone at home? It is sad that women from foreign countries are smart enough to make a plan on how to hook any man, come to America and then dump him! Bottom line, he made the decision to "Separate and was taking with him what he wanted when the police arrived and "She" played the "Save me routine well"... but sorry not well enough. His weapons were in cases. Separation is not a "FUN" time in anyone's life. QUESTION: "How many times in many cases do couple have domestic arguments as their love is ending?"There is absolutely NO PROOF HERE of a crime, no criminal history either! She KNEW he had money and wants 50%! The prosecutor here, as often times is the case.... "Will cost the city as much money as he can in order to make a "REP"for himself! We have seen this in the past many many times. Just another way of showing Lodi is "Wasting" our money!

• posted at 6:26 pm on Sun, Sep 6, 2009.

"He had way more guns than I have," Metcalf said. SO? All the officer could see were gun CASES, heck might have been pool cues or golf clubs inside. I guess the officer was beeing prudent in drawing her pistol.But then the statement above makes me question; isn't this still America?(I too have the right to bear arms, as many as I care to purchase. Which to date is none.)Also of concern to any citizen facing charges, is that he doesn't seem to have been contacted after any of the previous 911 calls. He said, she said.As for "I have never seen a person so scared." Didn't we have an incident a few years back where LPD "saw evidence of rats and rat droppings" at a residence which allowed them to remove the kids; such evidence later could not be verified by a pest control inspection?

• posted at 2:48 pm on Sun, Sep 6, 2009.

I catch the scent of a rodent.....

• posted at 8:04 am on Sun, Sep 6, 2009.

In Sicily, women are more dangerous than shotguns.

• posted at 6:34 am on Sun, Sep 6, 2009.

Do you people honestly think they are going to publish their evidence in the newspaper? They still have to get a non-biased jury, and that can't happen if they tell all in the paper. No one should/could make any judgments about this case, because no one her has ALL the fact.

• posted at 5:08 am on Sun, Sep 6, 2009.

I am a Chinese woman living here in America. I personally know this couple. I and my husband have more than once had dinner with them and I have had telephone conversations with her. I am not going to pretend that I know what went on behind closed doors with Mike and his wife. Only they know for sure. However, I do know that during my conversations with her (which were always in Chinese so that neither Mike nor my husband could possibly have understood what was being said), she never gave me any indication of problems with her marriage. My husband and I never saw any abuse of any kind. In fact, she always seemed happy and acted as though she was in love with her husband. I don't quite understand why so many of you are in such a rush to condemn Mike without more proof. I think that everyone should wait until all the facts are presented before passing judgement.

• posted at 4:28 am on Sun, Sep 6, 2009.

Only don't tell me your innocent because it insults my intelligence and makes me very angry.

• posted at 3:17 am on Sun, Sep 6, 2009.

You may be onto something there, edukater!

• posted at 3:10 pm on Sat, Sep 5, 2009.

Okay, so women come to the US as mail order brides and it doesn't work out. I'm sure they use the men just as the men use them. Doesn't anyone find it interesting that this guy couldn't find a woman in the U.S. to marry???? After all there are more women that men in our population...think about it he is just as desperate as she is. They both probably deserve each other!

• posted at 12:30 pm on Sat, Sep 5, 2009.

saoirse... "Repeat after me"... "Its ok to feel confused"!

• posted at 11:50 am on Sat, Sep 5, 2009.

Sorry to all you females out there. This isn't about how he hurt her feelings. This is about what can be proven in court. And in this case, NOTHING. A quote from the Officer HERSELF, "they found nothing in the home that showed she was physically held against her will, and that she had no visible injuries"If he was ABUSING her in ANY way, why didn't she just leave? Answer that ladies. WHY DIDN'T SHE JUST LEAVE?You know why. It wasn't the plan. The plan was to dupe this guy into bringing her into the US and then cut him lose.Mrs S-Did you not read my comment concerning why he was loading his guns? He was putting them into a vehicle IN CASES. Which is legal. He was LEAVING with his possessions. Isn't that what all you women want. If he wanted her dead, she'd be dead.You ladies wanna bet on the outcome of this case? He walks after pleading to a misdeameanor for some trumped up charge of threatening. THAT'S IT.

• posted at 11:06 am on Sat, Sep 5, 2009.

saoirse hit the nail on the head. Sorry, Galtguy, etc. Some people, especially people who are employed in "the system" know how to hide their dark sides from the public. I don't think the police are finished gathering evidence. The fact that Mr. O'Reilly was loading lots of guns into his car, verifying part of what his wife alleged, and the fact that he didn't stop immediately when ordered by the police might turn out to support her story. I, for one, will stay tuned.

• posted at 10:47 am on Sat, Sep 5, 2009.

I know this dude. I know his ex-wife and his kids. I know thier story. Guilty trust me.

• posted at 10:12 am on Sat, Sep 5, 2009.

The fact remains that none of us know what really went on; only those involved do.That said, the first thought that went through my mind when I saw the preview article yesterday was how there is little difference between the crooks behind bars and those on the outside doing the guarding. LOL!I have to say, too, that I find those who automatically assume the woman is lying are the very same who are so gung-ho to lock up "terrorists" because they "might" do something.Ver-r-r-y interesting. ;)

• posted at 8:55 am on Sat, Sep 5, 2009.

No more boom-boom for you.

• posted at 7:43 am on Sat, Sep 5, 2009.

First of all I am not a man, thank you. History speaks for itself. Too many of these mail order brides get their free meal tickets, then guess what, all of a sudden the meal ticket becomes an abuser. Sorry. doesn't add up for me.Last time I checked verbal abuse was not a felony. Mr. O'Riley is charged with 5 alleged felonies. Come on people, where is the proof? This man may be hung out to dry because wifie didn't get the new shoes.

• posted at 7:28 am on Sat, Sep 5, 2009.

I have seen plenty of women from foreign countries marry American men for a meal ticket and a free trip toAmerica. When I was in the military, it happened a lot. I am not saying some of them didn't work but most failed after a while and the woman got what she wanted. Who knows why he was mad,,,but I can imagin why.

• posted at 6:54 am on Sat, Sep 5, 2009.

"I've seen a lot of scared people, but I've never seen anyone that terrified," the officer said.It's true what the men said regarding mail order brides; however, a lot of men who "purchase" these women then think they "own" them like they do their cars or houses, and can do what they want with them.There is also a thing called *verbal abuse* of which, I think, O'Riley being a councilor, would know something about....and verbal abuse never leaves physical marks.

• posted at 5:41 am on Sat, Sep 5, 2009.

All prior comments seem to be made by men, interesting. You are ignorant to domestic abuse and captivity. In the Jaycee D. case, when she showed up at the parole office, they had no idea based on her apprearance she was a victim either, until she was questioned. Now everyone is horrified - You have just judge this woman based on your prejudice.

• posted at 5:32 am on Sat, Sep 5, 2009.

I'm sorry, but I'm confused...did any of you actually live in that house? If not, how in the world do you know what really happened in that house, and what kind relationship they had?

• posted at 4:45 am on Sat, Sep 5, 2009.

Galtguy, LodiJoe & T&C hit the nail right on the head. So much for "me love you so much Michael." Here is another case of mail order bride gone bad. Men with money and prestidge need to wise up. A free trip to America, then bye bye. Absolutely no evidence in this case. What the heck.

• posted at 3:50 am on Sat, Sep 5, 2009.

LodiJoe "you are soooooo right! Anything a woman can do to "Get citizenship to an American they will do"!

• posted at 1:01 am on Sat, Sep 5, 2009.

"Me love you long time" or at least until I get to America and can screw you out of everything I can. Another "mail order" bride deal gone bad. Statistically, the percentages are extremely high. These women want a ticket out of their country and to America so they can get their "free" stuff.

• posted at 10:33 pm on Fri, Sep 4, 2009.

This is such an obvious case of him being a Sap who was used. Now this Black Widow is doing the same to the LPD.What exactly did he do that you can prove? There is no evidence whatsoever. It's obvious the reason he came back for his guns was so that she wouldn't sell them. That's the first thing a guy who's leaving does. He grabs his tools and his guns. LPD even stated they were in a case.You heard it here first folks. This has plead to a misdemeanor all over it. She will get everything she set out to get, which is legal residence in the US. And this poor Sap will get no jail time (other than waiting to make bail) and a huge bill from his attorney. Which by the way he will have to pay because he has a decent job.Mr. O'Riley you sir have my sympathy. You were taken, happens to the best. Good Luck.

• posted at 10:23 pm on Fri, Sep 4, 2009.

1- "his nicely-dressed wife never appeared to be under duress."2-"They look like a happy couple," said Mary Coker, who said she never saw any signs of abuse"3-"they found nothing in the home that showed she was physically held against her will, and that she had no visible injuries"4-"with the woman saying they were only "arguing,""after receiving a 9-1-1 call. The line was open but nobody was talking, so dispatchers sent two patrol cars to check the home" (to make Officers respond in a agressive manner, not knowing what they faced)"criminal threats, two counts of sexual penetration by force and two counts of forced oral copulation" (Can you say, He said-She said)So LPD and the DA, besides the statements of a dubious "victim" what exactly are you going to use as evidence? No physical signs of abuse. No evidence whatsoever of holding her against her will. No corroborating witnesses. The dubious claim that he raped her, try proving that one, they were married and one would assume had "relations". Tell me why again you even arrested him in the first place?