- WestEd at a glance
- A nonprofit, public research and development agency exempt under Section 115(1) of the Internal Revenue Code. It’s a joint-powers agency governed by public entities in Arizona, California, Nevada and Utah. Board members represent agencies from these states and nationally.
- Headquarters: San Francisco, but there are 16 offices nationwide, including one in Sacramento.
- Annual revenue: More than $126 million.
- Funding sources: Approximately 400.
- Projects: 450-700 at any given time,
- Scope of work: Assess students’ knowledge of science, develop mentoring programs, create fair and effective standardized assessments to inform instruction, and improve programs for English learners and students with disabilities. Also works on evaluation and research-based projects, and in partnerships with schools, education agencies, policymakers and others in education and human development.
— Source: WestEd
- Ann Hern at a glance
- Occupation: Education finance specialist for the Comprehensive School Assistance Program at WestEd. Works with national, state and local education agencies to support district and school improvement through resource alignment; supports labor management research and technical assistance; and conducts cost-effectiveness and efficiency studies for program services such as special education, technology and administration.
- Experience: 20-plus years supporting school operations and finance; previously an education consultant, supporting school districts and county offices of education throughout California with multi-year financial planning, cash management, resource alignment and special education program reviews.
- Education: Master of Business Administration and Bachelor of Arts in business administration from California Coast University.
— Source: WestEd
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2013 12:00 am
A consulting firm that employs the spouse of Lodi Unified School District’s top business officer has been hired to audit aspects of the district’s special education program, leading some parents to question whether the contract presents a conflict of interest.
Ann Hern, wife of Lodi Unified’s chief business officer Tim Hern, is a finance specialist for WestEd, a nonprofit consulting firm.
Friday, June 21, 2013 12:00 am.