Tokay Development Co. plans to build the subdivision just north of Windwood Drive toward the Mokelumne River. The San Joaquin County Board of Supervisors approved a rezone last year to pave the way for the subdivision. Now the county Planning Commission will review the development map at a meeting Thursday.
Among the conditions Tokay Development faces:
• The new subdivision will not be gated.
• Benedict, Riverwood and Windwood drives must be swept and cleaned daily of construction materials and dust. Construction vehicles can drive no faster than 15 mph.
• Any sewer plant upgrades to accommodate the subdivision must be paid by the developer.
• Security guards must watch the area at night.
• Construction offices, trailers and porta-potties must be located in the northernmost area of the property, away from existing residents.
• Construction is limited from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays.
• No radios will be allowed at the construction site.
Additionally, the Woodbridge Sanitary District must monitor any odors wafting from its sewer plant north of Benedict Drive and adjacent to the luxury subdivision.
Tokay Development has three other identified expenses, according to the settlement - $20,000 to the Law Office of William Yeates, who represents the Woodbridge residents, $3,000 per acre to the San Joaquin County Valley Land Trust and $1,500 per acre for the county Multi-Species Habitat Conservation and Open Space Plan.
- News-Sentinel staff
The subdivision will be constructed in phases, with the first phase beginning in the summer of 2007, said Stockton attorney Mike Hakeem, who represents Tokay Development.
The proposal met intense opposition by some 20 to 25 nearby residents who didn't want the homes - albeit luxury homes - to be built near them. Six of the residents, known as the Mokelumne Habitat Protection Group, eventually filed a lawsuit to block the project.
However, the Mokelumne group agreed to allow the subdivision to be built, but with cash payments to two nearby homeowners and several restrictions.
The settlement has been signed by the four major parties. However, it won't kick in unless the Planning Commission approves the housing project and all appeals and legal challenges are resolved, according to the settlement.
Anyone who opposes the Planning Commission's decision will have 10 days to appeal the issue to the Board of Supervisors. If someone sues over the development, it could delay construction by six months, Hakeem said.
The settlement calls for the developer to pay $20,000 to Tony Gordinier and Susan Adams-Gordinier and another $10,000 to Lawrence and Suzanne Seiler. Owners of seven other parcels will get a 33-foot strip of property to expand their backyards, Hakeem said.
The Mokelumne Habitat Protection Group filed the lawsuit on March 4, claiming that the Woodbridge Sanitary District violated state environmental laws by not stating how the subdivision would affect the environment near the Mokelumne River.
Thursday's county Planning Commission meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the Public Health/Planning Auditorium, 1601 E. Hazelton Ave., Stockton.