State requiring eighth-graders to be tested in algebra

Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 10:00 pm

Under a new state requirement, all eighth-graders will be assessed in algebra before moving on to high school. Lodi Unified is hoping that by using a tested and true curriculum that teaches math concepts early on, this feat won't be as difficult.

In July, the state Board of Education voted to adopt the governor's recommendation to require all middle school students be tested in algebra by the end of the eighth grade. This requirement is set to start in 2011, but districts across the state have balked at the cost of hiring more teachers to teach algebra, and the issue has even gone to court.

• posted at 4:47 pm on Sun, Oct 26, 2008.

edumacation...Yes, I've had my moments where I've actually agreed and disagreed with several posters on these blogs, even dogs4you.Everyone can agree and disagree now an then, if we didn't we would then be wallowing in the "we are all the same crowd" would we not?I hadn't actually given myself the "liberal" label. Rather, I was labeled that by many on the LNS blogs, because of my liberal point of view. But just because a person may lean left, doesn't mean she can't be a right sided thinker now and then.You said "We have agreed on many issues, but I see some disharmony." In this case...where do you see the disharmony? Other than the fact that I lean left and you lean right, it looked like again we agreed (for the most part).With my "liberal point of view" comment I was just demonstrating that we don't all fit the stereotype that you (and many others) like to classify us as.

• posted at 4:32 pm on Sun, Oct 26, 2008.

dogs4you...Why do you feel the need to be so insulting? I don't think I even so much as hinted to thinking that I felt my kids deserved anything without working for it first. As for my daughter getting C's...I am talking about a 7th grader taking algebra 1, which is a high school level class. She will have the opportunity to retake it which she will then probably get A's in it the second time around. My oldest daughter has worked long and hard to maintain honors every single quarter since 4th grade. I'm proud of my kids, and yes they probably WILL have to go to a couple of years of community college, I definitely can't afford four years for the both of them at a university. The sour grapes in this case seem to be rolling off your own tongue dogs4you.

• posted at 3:01 pm on Sun, Oct 26, 2008.

To Acampo_mom: We have agreed on many issues, but I see some disharmony. FACT: Most all of us are responsible for our own lives. The few exceptions include kids born with a platinum spoon in their mouths, and professional whiners who get through life by blaming everyone else for their failures. Individual success is what is most important, not liberal groupthink, collectivism and the "we are all the same" crowd. This is one reason I chose to homeschool. I went to one too many elementary school "awards ceremonies" where almost every student received an award! Disgusting! Now you know why children have a since of entitlement for doing NOTHING. In the last assembly I saw a child "of color" who was the brightest, most productive kid in his class, but HE received nothing because of "poor attendance". His mom had financial difficulties, so he got "punished" and the losers were rewarded. Thank you liberal do-gooders.

• posted at 1:15 pm on Sun, Oct 26, 2008.

Acampo_Mom as far as fruits of your labor are conserned, sounds more like sour grapes, and with your daughter getting a C, sounds to me like she is off to a coummity college. If you "lib`s" have to try harder, perhaps your not as smart as the conservitives your raging on. You can be a conservitive and still have to work hard for everything you have, I know since I did.

• posted at 9:58 am on Sun, Oct 26, 2008.

dogs4you...When I said "How's that for a liberal's point-of-view?"The point I was getting at was this: just because we have a liberal mindset doesn't mean we are teaching our kids to skate by on other people's hard work, as most conservatives like to infer. We work just as hard as anyone else, and like to enjoy the fruits of our labors just like anyone else. The implication that if a person is more liberal than conservative that they couldn't possibly be hardworking, serious, intelligent people, couldn't be further from the truth.And by the way...our family tried the "conservative way" for a while, it didn't suit us. The only reason why us libs "have to try harder" than anyone else is because unlike the doctor's and lawyer's kids down the street, our kids college educations and futures aren't already bank-rolled for them, they will have to prove themselves worthy to attend the good universities, they will have to earn their scholarships, etc.

• posted at 7:09 am on Sun, Oct 26, 2008.

Acampo_Mom Anything worth doing is worth doing well. How`s that for a liberal`s point of view you ask. Mom, here`s a clue for you, you don`t have to be a liberal to know that what your saying goes for anybody. Maybe more for liberals than anyone else though since they have to try harder.

• posted at 4:38 am on Sun, Oct 26, 2008.

My youngest daughter is in the seventh-grade. Apparently a test she took last year (in sixth-grade) showed that she is ready to take algebra, so she is now taking algebra 1 in 7th grade. I didn't really think she was quite ready for it yet, but she wanted to take it so badly I figured I'd go ahead and let her and if she needed to repeat it in 8th grade then that's what she could do.She is struggling, however. A lot has to do with how fast they cover the concepts in class, and move on to the next. But most has to do with the fact that she wasn't ready for it. The tests are not accurate measures of these skills. I think she'll get by with C's this year (which is too bad, because it will hurt her GPA) and then have to retake it next-year.I'm frustrated for her, but I'm going to push her through it, nevertheless. She's holding her own, and we stress in this household that "anything worth doing is worth doing well". How's that for a liberal's point-of-view?

• posted at 2:16 pm on Sat, Oct 25, 2008.

Envision Math is probably the worst math program available. I have a friend who is a teacher and he says that about 25% of the lessons are below grade level. I understand they didn't even pilot the program first. Every teacher I know who is using it is frustrated and sure that test scores will go down this year.

• posted at 11:28 am on Sat, Oct 25, 2008.

t jefferson and edumacation both make excellent points. As an Algebra teacher myself, I find it frustrating that my district(not LUSD) is moving towards a policy of "all are the same". For example, administrators want ALL schools to have the same course descriptions AND want all math teachers teaching from the same book, doing the same assignment, with the same amount of homework problems, etc. There is to be no creativity when it comes to teaching. Teachers are expected to all be clones of each other.

• posted at 10:18 am on Sat, Oct 25, 2008.

Couldn't agree more..

• posted at 9:26 am on Sat, Oct 25, 2008.

To: t jefferson: This track system is used in every other country but the US. In the United States, everyone has the same intelligence and opportunity. Unfortunately for the liberals, the hard workers, the serious and the intelligent rise to the top. The losers stay on the bottom or get promoted via some social do-gooder program like affirmative action.What we need is a three tiered system.1) Proven results from motivated and pruductive students.2) Middle of the road average studentsand3) The slackers, hiders, losers and gangbangers.Strict objective criteria via written tests would be the classification methods, similar to the military. No affirmative dversity plan and games and no preferential treatment beause of mommy and daddy, (or daddy and daddy and mommy and mommy, and various other unknown combinations if prop 8 does not pass).This method will be cheaper since these kids already know who they are anyway. Someone is always first and someone is always at the bottom. Why pretend they are all "baby geniuses"?

• posted at 8:20 am on Sat, Oct 25, 2008.

t jefferson agree with you, if a kid can`t get the basic`s of 2+2, he or she will never grasp algebra. If a student is capable of learning, move them ahead. Many are in school only because the LPD found them walking the streets, they could care less reguardless of how much the parents do to keep them in school. Those are the ones that end up being the slacker`s and do nothings and end up in a gang. As you say, a teacher can only do so much, the way the kids dress these days they look more like tomorrows hookers and pimps.

• posted at 2:43 am on Sat, Oct 25, 2008.

Time to create another crisis, and talk about the algebra gap. What a stupid idea. We really need a multiple track school system. One for college capable children and another one for teaching the basics until the children are proficient. There is a total lack of understanding of what goes on in the schools. The school system has changed radically in the 25 years since I was a part of it. A lot of the kids in school today don't care if they learn anything and neither do their parents. Not a good combo, because the teacher can only do so much.