A quick-thinking Sunday school teacher likely saved the life of a young boy on Sunday.
While his parents were listening to Sunday's service at Family Life Christian Church service, 5-year-old Daniel Moreno had just finished his Sunday school lesson.
He had gone outside to play some soccer when some hard candy lodged in his throat.
Jean Keiser, who teaches the preschool-kindergarten class on Sundays, said she didn't know Daniel had taken the candy from a bin full of prizes for each child (not all the prizes were candy). In fact, she kept three girls inside until they finished their candy, and she would have kept Daniel inside had she known.
"He came up to me with his hands around his neck," Keiser said. "I tried to get him to talk to me, and he couldn't."
Seconds later, Daniel's face turned red, and he appeared to be choking, Keiser said.
"Then I knew it was real," she said.
Keiser then performed the Heimlich maneuver by giving Daniel a jolt in the back, and the candy flew out of his mouth and into the grass.
While Keiser was relieved that Daniel was all right, he wanted to go back and play.
"I'm OK," he told her. "I still want to be goalie."
Meanwhile, Keiser's husband, Rick, who is the church's children's pastor, tapped Shalissa Moreno, Daniel's mother, on the shoulder and asked her to come to the back of the room where the service was being held.
"I don't want you to panic," Rick Keiser told Moreno. "Daniel just choked on a piece of candy, but he's fine."
The normally talkative Daniel, wearing a New York Yankees cap on Monday, said he didn't remember what happened, but he admitted being scared when he was asked.
Jean Keiser said she was glad she had just taken a renewal course in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation a month ago through the American Heart Association at the Woodbridge fire station.
Because Daniel seemed to be back to normal within 30 seconds, no one called 9-1-1.
A kindergarten student at Marengo Ranch Elementary School, Daniel has attended Family Life since he was 3 months old, his mother said.