Lodi Middle School’s Paige Blevins is Lodi Unified School District’s teacher of the year
Paige Blevins teaches a class at Lodi Middle School on Monday, May 6, 2013. Blevins, a math teacher, has been named Lodi Unified School District’s Teacher of the Year.
- LUSD BOARD TO DISCUSS GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
In addition to honoring Paige Blevins as Teacher of the Year, the Lodi Unified School District Board of Trustees will:
• Consider adjusting graduation requirements and valedictorian qualifications. The changes would affect when students take classroom driver education and instruction in HIV/AIDS, as required by state law.
Administrators recommend that driver education be offered but not required for graduation if freshmen are enrolled in Advanced Placement human geography or AVID, a special college readiness program designed to accelerate student learning. Staff also recommends that health education be added to the freshman physical education curriculum. The change would begin in the 2013-14 school year.
• Consider amending district policy to determine the grade-point average for the valedictorian. Current candidates for valedictorian must have a GPA of 4.0 or higher and have no grade less than an A except in an AP or University of California-approved course. From that group, the student with the highest GPA for UC and California State University courses will be the valedictorian.
The recommended change includes teaching assistants or students at risk of failing the California Exit Exam. Exceptions would be students who receive a special education waiver.
• Continue discussion of the school board’s strategic plan of short- and long-term goals for the district.
• Consider extending Chief Business Official Tim Hern’s contract for two years through June 30, 2015. Hern would be paid $155,394 annually under the new contract.
Tuesday’s board meeting will begin at 7 p.m. at the James Areida Education Support Center, 1305 E. Vine St., Lodi.
— Ross Farrow
Posted: Monday, May 6, 2013 5:23 pm
Not everyone is cut out to teach at the middle-school level, but Paige Blevins is what Lodi Middle School Principal Scott McGregor describes as “a perfect fit.”
Blevins, a seventh-grade math teacher at Lodi Middle School on South Ham Lane, has been named Teacher of the Year for the Lodi Unified School District. She will be honored at Tuesday’s school board meeting, which begins at 7 p.m. at the James Areida Educational Support Center, 1305 E. Vine St., at Guild Avenue, Lodi.
Or, use your
Monday, May 6, 2013 5:23 pm.