A man who shot and dismembered his co-renter in Galt in 2007 was found guilty of first degree murder by a Sacramento jury Monday.
Jurors deliberated for only about three hours before they came to a verdict for Arthur Carnes IV, 40, who was charged with murder in the Nov. 18, 2007 killing of Matthew Alan Seybert, 41.
According to court documents, Seybert had been shot in the head with an AK-47 assault rifle and stabbed 16 times. His head had been cut off, as were his right arm and left leg.
Carnes represented himself in the trial, and faces 25 years to life in prison when he is sentenced next month in a Sacramento county court.
Sacramento County Deputy District Attorney Kevin Greene told jurors during the trial that Carnes had decided to become a murderer long ago. When Carnes finally acted on his gruesome ambitions, Greene said, Carnes allegedly captured the murder of Seybert on film, snapping pictures of the murder scene and the scene where he allegedly left the body.
According to Greene, Carnes modeled his murder after movie plots and even wrote it down in a 400-page document where he explicitly detailed his favorite ways to kill and to destroy people and property.
During the trial, Carnes openly admitted that the gun used to kill Seybert was his own. He also stated that he owned the camera authorities discovered when they arrested him in Canada a year after the killing.
Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Lloyd G. Connelly scheduled Carnes' sentencing for April 11.
Contact reporter Katie Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org.