Connor Phillips runs track and cross country at Lodi High School, but his dog, Hurley, made him run even faster, he says.
Phillips, a freshman, crossed the finish line in the 5K race Sunday morning at Lodi Lake in the Jog-a-Dog competition at Lodi Lake. Phillips completed the race in 20 minutes, 25 seconds.
Hurley, whom Phillips describes as a "mutt," is a good-sized dog that one would think might slow him down.
"Actually no, he pulled me along," Phillips said.
The Jog-a-Dog event drew 82 participants and raised about $8,500 for Animal Friends Connection, according to Patricia Sherman, president of the Lodi-based animal rescue organization.
The event seemed to feature more people taking a leisurely walk with their dogs than a jog, and several ran without man's best friend.
The secondand third-best runners, accompanied by their dogs, were Scott McGregor, 22:07; and Chris Hurst, 22:10.
Here are the winners among those not running with their dog:
- Overall: Melissa Minjarez, 21:42.
- First overall male and first, 18 and under: Derrick Tisher, 23:54.
- First female, 18 and under: Nikki Kriskovich, 29:30.
- Male age 40-49: David Phillips (Connor's father), 26:04.
- Female age 40-49: Marie Koth, 34:29.
- Female age 60-69: Evangeline Dahlberg, 51:59.