Lodi’s Ricky Gill weighs running for Congress
Ricky Gill, 23, has formed an exploratory committee to determine whether to seek election to Congress representing the Lodi area. Except for college, Gill is a lifelong Lodi resident.
- Ricky Gill at a glance
Born: May 6, 1987 at Lodi Memorial
Education: St. Anne's and Mokelumne River
schools; 2005 graduate of Tokay High School, where he was
valedictorian with a 4.56 grade-point average; graduated Phi Beta
Kappa in 2009 from Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of
Public and International Affairs; now attending Boalt Law School at
University of California, Berkeley.
Public involvement: Volunteered during high
school at St. Mary's Interfaith Community Services for the homeless
in Stockton; co-chaired the Greater Lodi Area Youth Commission;
appointed in 2004 by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger as student member
of the California Board of Education; spoke about educational
equality in 2005 at the California Republican Party convention in
San Diego; policy consultant for Educational Testing Service in
Princeton, NJ., where his researched ways to boost higher education
degree attainment; worked in 2006 for former U.S. Senate Majority
Leader Bill Frist and the Committee on Health, Education, Labor and
Pensions; interned in Sacramento Kings front office in 2007; legal
counselor for the Oakland Athletics in the summer of 2010; math and
literacy mentor at KIPP Bay Area charter schools.
Family: Parents, Drs. Jasbir and Param Gill, of
Lodi; two brothers.
Hobbies: Working out at Fitness Works in Lodi;
sipping Lodi wine; reading books on such topics as the Sacramento
Kings, San Francisco Giants and foreign affairs; playing golf.
Favorite books: "Moneyball," "Churchill
Defiant," "The Very Best Men," "To Kill a Mockingbird," "The
Favorite movies: "Caddyshack," "Rocky IV," "Mr.
Smith Goes to Washington," "Field of Dreams," "A Beautiful
Favorite music: Tom Petty, Frank Sinatra, Teddy
Pendergrass, Barry White, Carlos Santana, Michael Jackson, Dave
For more information, visit www.rickygill.com, follow Gill on
Twitter at @4rickygill or on Facebook at www.facebook.
com/4rickygill, e-mail email@example.com or write to Ricky Gill
Congressional Exploratory Committee, P.O. Box 691900, Stockton, CA
— Source: Ricky Gill, Chris Clark
- Exploratory committee
- Greg Aghazarian, former assemblyman, Stockton
- Oscar Anzaldo, chairman, Jose Hernandez Reach for the Stars
- Porfi Cisneros, deacon, St. Anne's Catholic Church, Lodi
- Steve Coldani, president, Coldani Realtors and olive oil
- Michael Crete, founder, California Cooler, Acampo
- Bill Cummins, senior pastor, Bear Creek Community Church and
Lodi Planning Commissioner, Lodi
- Cecil Dillon, board chairman, Lodi Memorial Hospital
- Doug Eberhardt, president, Bank of Stockton
- Robert Foy, chairman, California Water Service Co.,
- Dale Fritchen, Stockton City Councilman and former chairman of
San Joaquin County Republican Party
- Dr. Gurinder Grewal, partner, San Joaquin Cardiology,
- Susan Hitchcock, former Lodi mayor and City Councilwoman;
current principal at Clairmont Elementary School in North
- Jim Jordan, former vice principal, Lodi High School
- Dr. Mas Kamagaki, emeritus, Stockton Cardiology
- Gail Kautz, owner, Ironstone Vineyards, Lodi
- Taj Khan, San Joaquin Delta College trustee, Lodi
- Charlene Lange, LangeTwins Winery, Acampo
- John Ledbetter, owner, Vino Farms, Lodi
- Bill Meehleis, owner, Meehleis Modular Buildings, Lodi
- Victor Mow, former San Joaquin County supervisor and current
Port of Stockton commissioner, Stockton
- Leroy Ornellas, San Joaquin County supervisor, Tracy
- Dr. Marvin Primack, board member, Health Plan of San Joaquin,
- Don Reynolds, owner, M&R Packing Co., Lodi
- Kevin Sanguinetti, board member, St. Joseph's Hospital
- Norman Shumway, former congressman representing Lodi, now
living in Massachusetts
- Dr. Rolando Simeon, general surgeon, Lodi
- Bill Trezza, CEO, Bank of Agriculture and Commerce,
- Bob Zamora, owner, Zamora Automotive Group, Stockton
— Source: Chris Clark
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 12:00 am
Updated: 11:37 am, Mon Jan 9, 2012.
Ricky Gill, whose achievements vary from serving as student
representative on the California Board of Education to working for
the Sacramento Kings and Oakland Athletics, is seriously
considering a run at Congress.
Gill, who turns 24 in May, has formed an exploratory committee
to consider representing San Joaquin County in what is now the 11th
Or, use your
Tuesday, March 1, 2011 12:00 am.
Updated: 11:37 am.
Use your real name. You must register with your full first and last name before you can comment. (And don’t pretend you’re someone else.)
Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually oriented language.
Don’t threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be truthful. Don’t pe about anyone or anything. Don’t post unsubstantiated allegations, rumors or gossip that could harm the reputation of a person, company or organization.
Be nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Stay on topic. Make sure your comments are about the story. Don’t insult each other.
Tell us if the discussion is getting out of hand. Use the ‘Report’ pnk on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share what you know, and ask about what you don’t.
Don’t be a troll.
We reserve the right, at our discretion, to monitor, delete or choose not to post any comment. This may include removing or monitoring posts that we bepeve violate the spirit or letter of these rules, or that we otherwise determine at our discretion needs to be monitored, not posted, or deleted.