Lodi wine professionals defend big, bold wines

Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 10:00 pm

In Lodi's wine country, where bold, flavorful Zinfandels are king, there's no controversy about high-alcohol content wines - consumers love them.

At least that's the message from several local wine professionals.

• posted at 2:39 am on Wed, Feb 27, 2008.

I drank a yummy Chard at a crab feed! let me think of the name. I don't care for many white wines, but this one I slurppped on all night. It was good. A Cotta wine. I can't think of the name. crud!

• posted at 2:35 am on Wed, Feb 27, 2008.

What Borra wine do you suggest? I've never tried them.

• posted at 7:24 pm on Tue, Feb 26, 2008.

I knew I was leaving out one of my favorites. Mettlers do makes some great stuff, and Borra too.

• posted at 3:55 pm on Tue, Feb 26, 2008.

Mettlers make good wine out there on Aline... i'm a poet!

• posted at 3:11 pm on Tue, Feb 26, 2008.

Mettlers make an awesome cab that was over 15%.. or IS over 15%. It is yummy. But only one glass and no driving after that glass. Perfect to sip in front of the fireplace.

• posted at 1:46 pm on Tue, Feb 26, 2008.

Local wineries have seen positive growth in both sales and reputation. Whatever they're doing seems to be working well, so why change it. I would like to see one trend change. I'd like someone to start putting chardonnay back in a barrel. I like secondary fermentation in my chard. St. Amant is doing an outstanding job with all their wines, and ports. So is Jesse, Lucas, Van Ruiten, Macchia, Pasos, Watts, Klinker Brick, Century Oak, Old Lockeford, and those are just a few of my local faves. I use only one criteria, my tongue.

• posted at 3:22 am on Tue, Feb 26, 2008.

Wine that's 16%?? I think most of the world calls that cooking sherry.

• posted at 2:55 am on Tue, Feb 26, 2008.

Some friend of mine from France come in to Cali every winter to ski. Their winos, they love good wine. I brought up several wines from lodi,they loved them. Earthquake was their fav. Our stuff gets around.

• posted at 2:52 am on Tue, Feb 26, 2008.

That's a yummy bug glup

• posted at 2:28 am on Tue, Feb 26, 2008.

"The interesting thing is the so-called wine experts are doing the complaining."
    Yep, and that's why they're wine experts. They know more than you or I. Why not order your Earthquake Zin in a Big Gulp cup with some fries to go? Nothing subtle here, then.