Lodi council candidates debate finances, Wal-Mart Supercenter, greenbelt at forum

Posted: Wednesday, October 8, 2008 10:00 pm

Candidates for Lodi City Council discussed their views on everything from shoring up Lodi's finances to the Wal-Mart Supercenter to a future greenbelt at Wednesday night's brief and very civil forum at Hutchins Street Square.

The 50-minute question-and-answer session was sponsored by the Lodi branch of the American Association of University Women.

• posted at 4:30 am on Wed, Oct 15, 2008.

Watch the clips online......PBS Frontline: Is Wal-Mart Good for America?http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/...

• posted at 1:48 pm on Mon, Oct 13, 2008.

whoa nellie wrote "Face it, most of the old time families are dying out as the kids go off to college and rarely return."Yes, and I hope Lodi can do more than allow a SWM to be built here to entice those grads back home.

• posted at 1:46 pm on Mon, Oct 13, 2008.

whoa nellie wrote "I am proud to say I am part of an old time pioneering Lodi family."As am I.

• posted at 1:45 pm on Mon, Oct 13, 2008.

Whoa Nellie! wrote on Oct 13, 2008 4:50 PM:" Dang it Lodian! You've figured out our strategy; Name everything after us! Don't bother the fact that we "Old Time Generation Families" have volunteered countless hours of community service, raised Millions of Dollars for our non-profits, are leading businesses in town, etc etc... I am proud to say I am part of an old time pioneering Lodi family. whoa nellie: My point exactly. I agree.

• posted at 11:50 am on Mon, Oct 13, 2008.

Dang it Lodian! You've figured out our strategy; Name everything after us! Don't bother the fact that we "Old Time Generation Families" have volunteered countless hours of community service, raised Millions of Dollars for our non-profits, are leading businesses in town, etc etc... I am proud to say I am part of an old time pioneering Lodi family. I agree with Edmu's 10-10 927am comment: it's more of the empowerment attitude now coming from the younger generations, the under the 35age. Face it, most of the old time families are dying out as the kids go off to college and rarely return.

• posted at 7:43 pm on Fri, Oct 10, 2008.

edumacation: There is old blood in every town/city. Time to get over it. If this bothers you then get in there and make a difference. That is what will make changes. As long as we name parks and buildings etc after Lodians then we are always going to remember their names.

• posted at 7:40 pm on Fri, Oct 10, 2008.

See, no one wants the big box monstrosities in their backyard.

• posted at 6:11 am on Fri, Oct 10, 2008.

JD, nay. I LOVE living in our vineyard. You can keep your big box stores in your towns.Most people out here love our country living and want to preserve it.

• posted at 6:04 am on Fri, Oct 10, 2008.

Not terribly informed about the whole greenbelt thing, but the headline gave me an idea. Instead of a "greenbelt", how about a "big box store belt"?

• posted at 4:27 am on Fri, Oct 10, 2008.

To Lodian: I recently had a conversation with a third generation old timer from Lodi, and he agreed with my assessment. It is an attitude of "Listen boy...I am in control". He told me he has grown up hearing that attitude from the other old timers. He doesn't belive it has to do with REAL money, just a bullying of people (the other half) into thinking they do have disproportionate (within the city) control. Its like a self-fufilling prophecy. As the older generations die out, the attitude is bound to change.I was at party recently where a "junior GOB" was upset because everyone didn't acknowledge "who they are". A few giggles later, we played the game and tried to pretend their "lordship" was someone important. Its going to take time. Another approach is for the owned half of the city is to stop accepting the hype as gospel. Just say NO, to the plans, the conniving and the machinations of a few self appointed leaders.

• posted at 6:15 pm on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

edumacation wrote on Oct 9, 2008 9:48 PM: "To Lodian: I have no idea."edumacation: What? Then try to explain your Oct 9, 4:55 PM post. I don't get it. Spell it out for me.

• posted at 4:48 pm on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

To Lodian: I have no idea. Its the attitude and behavior that seeps throughout this town. It doesn't have to be real King-serf relationship. The attitude of "We are in power" is whats sad. If more people would question those in "power" or who think they have power, it would go a long way to ameliorate the problem. Part of the reason is a self-fulfilling prophecy of grandiosity I see in the infrastructure.

• posted at 3:57 pm on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

Thanks Cog. I agree.

• posted at 3:23 pm on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

edumacation (Oct 9 @ 4:55 PM): You'll have to elaborate. Who owes whom and what do they owe them?

• posted at 2:27 pm on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

dogs4you; You`re right! Lodi IS controlled by unions!!! They`re called the police and fire department!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• posted at 2:09 pm on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

Sam and other landowners need to stand their ground. Should they decide to sell, they should have the right to sell to the highest bidder. If the city of Lodi wants the land, they should have to submit a higher bid than the developers if they wish to obtain it.

• posted at 12:32 pm on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

dogs4you....So much for my attempt at humor.

• posted at 11:55 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

To Ldoan: I agree with most of what you say, burt I have a reflective question for you. If you talk to a new Lodi resident and ask them what they think of this town, they will give you a short list of pluses and minuses. Now ask them to give narrative opinion about what they think. Rightly or wrongly I hear a similar response time and time again: It goes something like this. " There are two Lodis, and it seems like one half the town owns the other half. They were not speaking of geography East vs West or North vs South, they are talking about the ATTITUDE that many Lodians have that the "other half" owes them a living, or owes them something. This is not about a theoretical GOB, but about why one group thinks that the other group are personal servants. The old timers may not see it, but its obvious to the newcomers. I believe them.

• posted at 10:30 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

commonsense1 A poll of unions? Lets see, just how many unions are there in Lodi other that the chain supermarkets? Looking at downtown I can`t name any and why should Lodi be held hostage to the unions in the first place. With the empty units that are available in Vintner`s Sq. and all over town for that matter, and with the coming of RR, a waiting line? I hardly think so. And now with the closing of Lakewood Drugs in the Lakewood mall, another empty building for someone to call this emptyness home. Fill up what`s empty first if WalMart flops. But then again, who wants an old outdated building.

• posted at 9:14 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

I'm not a Wal Mart customer, but I can't help but wonder what retailers Wal Mart opponents would bless. Here's an idea; Before a business can bring money or jobs to Lodi, a poll of citizens and unions should be mandatory. Who knows, maybe we would end up with a waiting list of business owners just begging for our blessing.

• posted at 8:33 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

mp said " Better yet, wait until the votes."Votes, you seriously think you will have a vote on my land?

• posted at 8:22 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

mp, so you are claiming that we brought our AL5 to Mounce asking them to put us in Lodi's General Plan?That is a lie. I cannot think of one farmer out here who wants to be under Lodi's jurisdiction. We all have made it clear. We want to stay in the county with Lodi not having a say about our land.It is a moot point anyway. Your CC said they cannot afford the EIR. Done.If we go AL5 it will be under the county's plan in 2011. It will remain out of Lodi's hands. It will NOT be a greenbelt.So my dear, "enough already."

• posted at 8:10 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

4AStrongLodi wrote "You fail to realize that we have already become Stockton. The whole county is in the same boat. We are no differnt from Stockton, Tracy, or Lathrop, except we refuse to try and attract new business. Unemployment is at 10% in the SJ County.Farming isn't going to make this City thrive. It's not 1950 anymore!We need to attract businesses that will bring higher-paying jobs, managed new development, and lots of redevelopment. The byproduct is more revenue for the City and will attract residents who are looking for a better way of life and have more financial resources to spend while living here."4AStrongLodi: Yes, this is exactly why we need to shoot down this Super Wal-Mart. Lodi needs to work on attracting better "...businesses that will bring higher-paying jobs, managed new development, and lots of redevelopment".

• posted at 7:21 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

So far there have been 18 posts, of all, 4AStrongLodi has said it all, especially the last line. Even if Super WalMart goes down in flames, that area is primed for development, perhaps some of the 13 stores that would be build around the still up for debate WalMart. Build something, not fast food, enough of them. But then again RR might recrute the business` that might have been built where now stands a field of weeds. Grow or die.

• posted at 6:58 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

Stupification-You fail to realize that we have already become Stockton. The whole county is in the same boat. We are no differnt from Stockton, Tracy, or Lathrop, except we refuse to try and attract new business. Unemployment is at 10% in the SJ County.Farming isn't going to make this City thrive. It's not 1950 anymore!We need to attract businesses that will bring higher-paying jobs, managed new development, and lots of redevelopment. The byproduct is more revenue for the City and will attract residents who are looking for a better way of life and have more financial resources to spend while living here.Lodi is basically strangling itself to death with this no-growth attitude.

• posted at 6:45 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

4AStrong wrote: Why don't we worry about improving our own City before we waste useless time worrying about land that isn't even in the City limits.It's called planning for the future. Something that previous CC have failed to do. If the many developers have their way in the future our fertile ag land will be nothing but pink & beige stucco homes and strip malls from 8-Mile Rd to Harney Lane. Lodi and Stockton will blend together like Lathrop & Manteca.As Lodians we want the separation. Mr Khan stated last night that while Stockton home prices have fallen drastically (35%) Lodi's has remained much more stable. If we ever grow together this will only decrease our property values. And don't get me started on the issue of crime.

• posted at 6:27 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

I convinced the wife to attend the "debate" with me. Honestly, if there were 15 people there who were not affiliated with the AAUW, the candidates, comcast, LNS/Record... that would be generous.It was obvious from the replies for the challengers they had not even thought of possible questions and their answers. It was embarrassing to sit in the audience and watch 3 men wanting to be on CC stammer, uh, and um, through their replies.It became very clear that a vote for any of the challengers would be a step backwards for the city.

• posted at 6:17 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

Mounce is a joke. Why do we need a Greenbelt on Armstrong? To separate ourselves from Stockton?Why don't we worry about improving our own City before we waste useless time worrying about land that isn't even in the City limits.As a CPA, I'm very shocked that Mounce doesn't undertand the economic and lifestyle impacts of a no-growth policy.Lodi has no new jobs, unemployment is at 10%, the City is about to have a revenue shortfall of $1.5 million, and there is increasing blight and crime.Redevelopment and growth would infuse new jobs, money and life into this City, otherwise we'll continue our path to being a small version of Detriot.

• posted at 5:50 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

Better yet, wait until the votes. You will see what all these people have worked so hard to achieve. With or with out your help.Did you ever answer the question: do you agree with AL5 zoning?

• posted at 5:48 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

For the last time, my boss has met with Pat and Bruce. They asked her to bring the Lodi's 3 proposed general plans (A, B & C.) They, Pat and Bruce, asked her to include the AL5 within Lodi's general plan. So unless you were a fly on the wall...... enough already.

• posted at 5:42 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

mp said "the armstrong property owners expressed their desire to have overlaping general plans." That is a lie.AL5 is a county designation and not a city one. My county land will not be part of Lodi's general plan. That is NOT a lie. That is a fact. I have the attornys to back up my claim. None of us EVER asked to be in Lodi's General Plan. You go and ask Pat, Ken, Bruce, etc. Lodi has no claim to our land and it will not part of your General Plan.

• posted at 5:37 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

Bates is right about public safety not taking cuts. After all we've lost, uh, uh, one police officer in our 100 years. OK nevermind. He's right about something else.

• posted at 5:32 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

I am an Armstrong Property owner and I have been to the meetings. I am not a liar and I stand by my words.I am glad your boss loves Lodi. My land is not in Lodi and neither is it under Lodi's control.

• posted at 4:47 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

I work with Ms. Mounce and she meets with the county supervisors all the time. In fact, the last time she met with Pat Stocker, she came back to the office excited because the armstrong property owners expressed their desire to have overlaping general plans. When the county updates their general plan (which is about 4 years out) and when Lodi updates their general plan (six months out) both plans with reflect AL5 zoning. By the way, please don't call my boss a liar. She is a great lady who loves Lodi. You guys are just mean.

• posted at 4:31 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

Sam, I agree. 16925, that is an untrue statement.16925, I am one of the leaders. We have never asked to be part of Lodi's General Plan. We want to remain in the county.I also agree with Sam in saying that as of today "Any candidate claiming they will deliver Lodi a "greenbelt" is lying."

• posted at 4:20 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

16925 said "It is my understading that the land owners and the county have asking Lodi to incorporate the AL5 zoning into Lodi's general plan"That is a lie. We have never asked to be part of Lodi's General Plan. You call Ken Vogel. You call the Armstrong Leaders. You are uninformed about us wanting to be part of Lodi's General Plan. We have been so clear. We are controlled by the county and want NOTHING to do with Lodi.

• posted at 4:02 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

to early to spell check... sorry."Lodi wants us to "give" them our land."

• posted at 4:02 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

Th AL5 is NOT part of Lodi. Lodi's CC refuses to pay for the EIR so we may work on it with the county. I have been a part of the meetings. Lodi wants us to "give" them our lane. Sorry. Not interested. It is illegal to have it on Lodi's General Plan.AL5 is NOT a greenbelt.

• posted at 3:22 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

AL5 zoning is a good greenbelt.

• posted at 3:20 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

It is my understading that the land owners and the county have asking Lodi to incorporate the AL5 zoning into Lodi's general plan. Call Ken Vogel. Call the leaders of the Armstrong property owners.

• posted at 3:15 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

Sam, Do you agree with the AL5 zoning?

• posted at 2:55 am on Thu, Oct 9, 2008.

Lodians, you should know there is NO greenbelt on the horizon. The CC has made it clear that Lodi cannot afford to pay for an EIR. The issue is currently dead.Labeling my land on Armstrong falsely as a greenbelt is illegal and worthy of a lawsuit. We are zoned AG40 under the control of the county. Lodi has absolutely no say or control off any land on Armstrong. Lodi's jurisdiction stops 1/2 mile south of Harney. Any candidate claiming they will deliver Lodi a "greenbelt" is lying.Pay close attention to the promises your candidates make. Their true colors will show.