Ex-Tokay football player arrested for felony assault

Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 10:00 pm

A former Tokay High School football player was arrested Friday after allegedly assaulting a teen who was trying to protect his sister, police said.

Kevin Marche Wiley, 19, who is studying law on a football scholarship to McPherson College in Kansas, was arrested on a number of felonies after the 1 p.m. altercation. He was jailed after being treated at the hospital for a knife wound.

Wiley, of Stockton, allegedly went to his ex-girlfriend's West Lockeford Street home to see their 13-month-old son, Lodi Police Officer Heather Metcalf said.

The baby's mother, who had talked to Wiley on the phone earlier Friday and told him not to come to the home, refused to open the door. Police were on their way to the house when Wiley allegedly threatened to take the baby and then kicked in the door, Metcalf said.

The mother's 17-year-old brother was in the house and grabbed a kitchen knife when the door opened. Wiley, whom Metcalf said is significantly larger than the 17-year-old, allegedly rushed at the teen and began punching him and bashing his head into a wall.

In the process, Wiley received a cut to his arm. The teenager dropped the knife and Wiley, who was bleeding profusely, ran out the front door as Cpl. Roger Butterfield arrived.

Butterfield detained both Wiley and the teenager, then called for an ambulance as more officers arrived.

Both Wiley and the teenager were taken to Lodi Memorial Hospital. Wiley was treated for the knife wound and the teenager had scrapes, swelling and a possible concussion, Metcalf said.

The mother and baby, who saw part of the altercation before fleeing to hide in a locked bathroom, were not injured.

Police did not identify the mother, because she is considered a domestic violence victim, or the teenager, because he is a juvenile.

Wiley was arrested on suspicion of aggravated assault, making threats, residential burglary, domestic violence and child endangerment.

The teenager was not arrested and police considered him both a victim and a hero. They will forward the case to the District Attorney's Office to determine if he will face any charges.

Wiley played football at Tokay High School until graduating in 2006, and then played at San Joaquin Delta College.

This spring he signed with McPherson College, a 480-student school in Kansas. The private Christian college had already closed for the day Friday when Wiley's name was released, and athletic administrators could not be reached for comment.

Wiley had no previous criminal record in San Joaquin County, according to court records.

Contact reporter Layla Bohm at layla@lodinews.com.

• 1 Use your real name. You must register with your full first and last name before you can comment. (And don't pretend you're someone else.)
  • 3 Don't threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
  • 6 Stay on topic. Make sure your comments are about the story. Don't insult each other.
  • 7 Tell us if the discussion is getting out of hand. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.

• posted at 9:47 am on Mon, Jul 21, 2008.

Andrew Adams, city editor wrote on Jul 21, 2008 12:25 PM:" We have removed several comments from this story because they described the ex-girlfriend and her brother by name. "Thank you. That was the right thing to do. Well done.

• posted at 7:25 am on Mon, Jul 21, 2008.

• posted at 4:36 am on Mon, Jul 21, 2008.

There's never a time when it's OK for a man to touch a woman in anger, no matter what the situation is or how she is acting. Never. Walk away. The real man in this story is the 17 year-old brother who valiantly attempted to defend his sister. Wiley, take note. Real men protect their wives/girlfriends, not attack them.Wiley, you are still a child, and at your age, it's embarrassing.

• posted at 8:36 pm on Sun, Jul 20, 2008.

Jenjo13: Kevin Marche Wiley is studying law. He should know better than to break into a home. No one is welcome after they break down the door.

• posted at 8:33 pm on Sun, Jul 20, 2008.

Mad Dog wrote on Jul 21, 2008 12:53 AM:" The suspect in this case WAS violent towards the mother and baby. He violently broke into the house and fought with the 17 yr old that lived there. What would any of you do if someone broke down your door and started fighting with you? Please don't make excuses for a violent suspected felon. "ANSWER: I'd stab him.

• posted at 7:53 pm on Sun, Jul 20, 2008.

• posted at 6:20 pm on Sun, Jul 20, 2008.

...That situation has never even been heard of. And Donna states that Kevin wants to take flight with the baby. Where will he take it, to the Christian college in Kansas??? What a stupid comment. I pray that the real truth will come out of all of this. This is all so unfortunate.

• posted at 3:51 pm on Sun, Jul 20, 2008.

lodian209: I must say that it doesn't matter if you like Kevin Marche Wiley. Even if this young woman asked Kevin Marche Wiley to come over for a date (which she did the exact opposite by telling him to stay away!) he has absolutely no right to do what he did. When the door was locked shut and Kevin Marche Wiley (the "intruder") broke down the door he crossed the line, became a criminal, and should now be charged accordingly. Your mentality is one of an abuser that says things like "Well, I was provoked so I had to beat her... she made me do it." Are you Kevin? Or maybe another abusive person? You need to rethink your position. NO ONE has the right to do what Kevin has done here and there is no excuse for it period!

• posted at 3:14 pm on Sun, Jul 20, 2008.

lodian209: How do you provoke someone into breaking down a door to your home and physically attacking someone in their own home? The people involved many not all be saints...but normal people dont break into a home and attack the resident.

• posted at 11:20 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

my daughter and the baby are fine, my son was slammed into the wall and choked has bruises and scrapes but overall hes fine ty for asking. and my daughter is going to a lawyer tomorrow! however as i said she will never deny kevin from his son however for a while it should be supervised visits! he will be a flight risk and try and take the baby to hurt my daughter. all this happened because she no longer wants to be in this relationship because of the emotional abuse just so happened this time it was physical abuse. i do thank god my son was here cuz my daughter would have taken that beating my son did for her tho and held kevin off until the police got here and i am very proud of him for that!!!!!!! however any other readers no one is making my daughter the innocent one here kevin and her did argue however he had no right to do what he did!!! he has never come to my house to see his son he has come here to see my daughter so his intentions were not to see his son they were togetatmydaughter

• posted at 10:53 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

Donna, how are they doing? Will your son be ok? I hope you and your daughter pursue this thru family court and if the baby's father will have visitation, it should only be done under strict court ordered supervision and at his expense.

• posted at 10:47 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

oh and by the way the only thing the editor of this story got wrong was it was not a kitchen knife it was a pocket knife!! EVERY THING ELSE WAS CORRECT.

• posted at 10:42 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

and i will push these charges as far as i can he had no right to break in my house nor touch my minor child!!! PERIOD!

• posted at 10:30 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

kevin called the night before and asked to come over my daughter said no my mom dont want you here and he said he didnt care what i said! then the next morning he text her witha question mark as to say well she said no dont come over if you want to see the baby i will meet you somewhere she is not denying him to see the baby he is the father which is right of her however he showed up at my door the kids wouldnt let him in so he called her she said no kevin and next they knew he kicked my door in and my 17 year old son WAS AND DID protect my daughter and grandson kevin is 240 6'4 my son about 140 5'9 my son went to the door kevin started hittin him and wanted to go after my daughter my son pulled a knife!! i was in reno at a softball tourney with my 14 year old and got the call! MY SON IS A HERO kevin had no right in what he did AT ALL my daughter will never deny him to see his son but now?

• posted at 10:25 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

well well well tiger75 as you stated you do not know the facts well I DO i am the mother and grandmother of the 3 victims in this case!!! alot of people put on a good front is all i say! i really liked kevin until last year when he put the child safety locks on his truck door and locked my daughter and the baby inside and wouldnt let them out! his mother watched and did NOTHING!!! i would have jacked my kid up if they ever disrespected and abused someone like that!! as time went by he was and is a poor excuse for a father he has done nothing for this baby yet acts to people as the best father and i dont just say this cuz its my family i am a very fair person i admit when im in the wrong!!! after i found out kevin hits the baby in the head with a ball and trips the baby as he is tryin to walk and makes him cry i began to really dislike him and no longer want him at my house which is where my daughter and son and the baby were at

• posted at 9:57 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

I do understand due process and all of that. That does not mean that I have to like it in all cases. If that kid had broken into my home, well let's just say it would be a very different story.T&C: Nice to see you and your GOB conspiracies today. For the record, I have met Layla Bohm personally and she is a good reporter. As for the blooggers here, including myself, that's another story!

• posted at 9:44 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

You can make an allegation without facts within reason without leaving yourself open, but in an accusation you have to have facts. Allegedly is the magic word here. Ms. Bohm can say anything she wants within reason as long as she only alleges or uses the word allegedly. If you're just a blogger, and not a reporter, the editor of this paper will allege you're making accusations and bounce you from the blogs to protect those in the good old boys network.Until all the facts in this case have been gathered and he's been arraigned, no one will know any of the real facts except what you read in Ms. Bohm's many confusing articles. Typical News-Sentinel.

• posted at 9:38 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

Mad Dog: Yeah, I understand that. But I guess if it were me, in the long run I'd rather have prosecutors officially clear me.

• posted at 9:36 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

Also, SportsGuru explained the due process stuff pretty well.

• posted at 9:36 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

now i am not sayin that what kevin did was right, but i think people need to put themselves in his shoes before rushing to judgement. You people do not know the whole story, neither do i... But I have met kevin before and he is a good guy and i have a hard time believing he'd do this

• posted at 9:36 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

Layla, thanks for the reply. I just don't like the fact that there is a question at all about the brother facing charges. It may be proceedure to forward it to the DA but, in a case like this, it's a waste of paper work.

• posted at 9:31 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

Mad Dog: Yes, police said the 17-year-old brother was both a victim and a hero. They said he was injured (which would make him a victim) while protecting his sister (which refers to the hero part).As for charges, police don't decide whether to charge someone -- that's up to the District Attorney's Office. Police have the power to arrest someone, which they did not do in the matter of the 17-year-old. But because the suspect was injured, it's up to prosecutors to decide whether that was a crime.

• posted at 8:27 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

No matter what happens, he`s in the system. If this football player gets off as a result of a liberal judges decession, remember his name the next time he runs for re-election.

• posted at 6:22 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

.ANOTHER SPORTS STORYThe LNS isn't reporting this, but apparently three University of the Pacific Mens basketball players have been removed from the team amidst allegations of sexual misconduct with a member of the womens's basketball team.....

• posted at 6:19 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

.This is likely another example of "Roid Rage" (excessive use of steroids). In many violent crimes involving athletes, it is ultimately found that steroids played a role. In other cases, it is found that an athlete is suffering from dimentia due to repeated head trauma. In either case, it is likely that Mr. Wiley was acting irrationaly - perhaps due to either steroid abuse or brain damage. Hopefully authorities will do a thorough examination to figure out which.The harsh reality in today's world (as the Tour de France doping highlights) is that athletes are always suspected of 'roid use when they act in an odd manner.

• posted at 6:10 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

.Its called DUE PROCESS. Because there was a weapon involved (the knife), the case gets automatically forwarded to the District Attorney. The police don't get to decide who gets prosecuted in court .. the District Attorney decides that. The D.A. will either file charges, or determine there is no crime (and drop the matter), which is likely in this case. Its just a procedural matter.

• posted at 2:46 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

Maybe Mr. Wiley should have called the police before entering and asked for their help?? We all don't know why she was denying him visitation but that was no reason for him to do what he did.He'll do a 52 week domestic violence class and be on supervised visitations but it will be on his record for a long time...

• posted at 1:22 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

I truly hope that it is simply a mistake in the way the story is written. My hope is that the police said the brother is a victim and a hero. The next sentence about charges may refer to the suspect.

• posted at 12:58 am on Sat, Jul 19, 2008.

I was going to post the same thing but Mad Dog beat me to it. The sad thing is he will do no jail time for the domestic violence. A liberal judge will give him probation and he is back to school in a few weeks playing football.

• posted at 11:27 pm on Fri, Jul 18, 2008.

I am confused by the statement from police that the 17 yr old brother is both a victim and a hero. And in the next sentence, police have forwarded the case to the District Attorney to determine if he will face charges. This is a no brainer! He is a HERO! He protected his sister from someone who violently broke into their locked home. Why is there ANY question of him facing charges?

• posted at 10:32 pm on Fri, Jul 18, 2008.

o_O Hopefully due to his status as a former football player at Tokay doesn't prevent him from getting the book in court...who do guys think they are when they get told no to come to the house and they come anyways to start crap? This is an insult to the term "MAN" because a real man would not do this to a woman.*steps down from soapbox*