- Bear country precautions
Campers and hikers visiting black bear country need to keep the following tips in mind:
- People who visit black bear habitat have a responsibility to the wildlife whose habitat they are sharing.
- Wild animals are in trouble, and one problem is human carelessness with food and garbage.
- When bears are allowed to feed on human food and garbage, they lose their natural ways — often resulting in death for the animal.
- Bears are attracted to anything edible or smelly.
- Keep a clean camp at all times.
- Never keep food in your tent.
- Store food, toiletries and scented items in bear-proof containers, storage lockers or in a secure location when possible.
- If you store food in the trunk of your car, put it in an airtight container. Clean all dropped food items, such as cereal and fries.
— Source: California Department of Fish and Game
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:00 am
Two Lodi brothers created an original rap song and film to teach the public how to live safely in black bear country, and now have $500 to show for it.
"This one goes out to all my homies in Lake Tahoe," blares the film's opening line.
Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:00 am.