A Lodi Boys and Girls Club employee accused of having sex with a middle school student has pleaded no contest to the charge, according to court documents.
Michael Allan Porter, 21, who was arrested March 31, will be on formal probation for five years, according to his plea. He made the plea deal and was sentenced to 176 days in jail last week.
However, Porter received credit for time served while incarcerated during trial proceedings and is now on probation, said Attorney Lance Jacot.
Porter was arrested on suspicion of having sex with a 13-year-old student who was at an after-school Bridge program at Millswood Middle School, police said. He had worked for the Boys and Girls Club since August 2009, said Richard Jones, president of the Lodi Boys and Girls Club.
Employees go through extensive background checks, which include fingerprinting, drug tests and cross-checking an employee through the Megan’s Law sex offender registry, Jones said after the arrest. Nothing in Porter’s past prompted any red flags prior to his hiring, Jones told the News-Sentinel in March.
Last week, Porter pleaded no contest to unlawful intercourse with a minor, court records show. A “no contest” plea is seen by the court as the same as a guilty plea, according to court documents.
The charges of lewd acts on a minor and arranging a meeting to engage in lewd or lascivious behavior with a minor were dismissed in the interest of justice, according to the San Joaquin County Superior Court.
Contact reporter Jordan Guinn at firstname.lastname@example.org.