- Love’s Travel Stops and Country Stores at a glance
Location: Northeast of Highway 12 and Thornton Road, across the street from the Pilot-Flying J truck stop.
Project details: 16 gas pumps and eight diesel fueling stations; 7,700-square-foot convenience store; a 3,000-square-foot Arby’s fast-food restaurant; a 1,200-square-foot storage building.
History of approvals:
- San Joaquin County Planning Commission approved a use permit on May 19, 2011.
- Pilot-Flying J appealed the Planning Commission’s decision to the Board of Supervisors.
- Supervisors upheld the Planning Commission’s approval on July 12, 2011.
- Pilot-Flying J sued Love’s and the county, citing traffic and air quality issues.
- Planning Commission again approved the use permit on Dec. 20, 2012.
- Pilot-Flying J appealed to the Board of Supervisors, which approved the Love’s project on Tuesday.
— Source: San Joaquin County
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:32 pm
Updated: 6:35 am, Wed Feb 13, 2013.
If everything proceeds smoothly, construction of Flag City’s second truck stop should begin in late April or early May, according to Rick Shuffield, real estate director for Love’s Travel Stops and Country Stores.
Love’s got the green light on Tuesday afternoon to build the new truck stop northeast of Thornton Road and Highway 12 after the San Joaquin County Board of Supervisors unanimously denied an appeal by Pilot-Flying J, located across the street from the Love’s site.
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:32 pm.
Updated: 6:35 am.