Lodi teacher arrested after police allege they found heroin his in car

Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 10:00 pm

A Lodi schoolteacher was arrested after police allegedly found heroin in his car while he was on his lunch break from Beckman Elementary School.

Michael Phillips

• posted at 8:47 am on Wed, Apr 15, 2009.

Lodian...no my daughter has not read whats been posted on here she is really upset by all the things that have been said at school some arent so nice and I think thats enough for her to digest right now im not saying its wrong of gomezfamilyx5 to let thier child read the comments, thats thier personal choice and whats on here is peoples opinions we will find out the truth whether we like it or not!

• posted at 7:31 pm on Mon, Apr 13, 2009.

Cogito wrote on Apr 13, 2009 6:20 PM:" You know Lodian, I think that's too bad. because I believe that a person deserves a chance to rehabilitate themselves from drugs."I also think people should definitely be given the chance to rehabilitate, but not at the risk of little children. He may have to find a job outside the classroom or with adults. You are cheering on this man to rehab from drugs, but why (in another blog) are you condemning drug addicts and saying that addiction is a weakness and not an addiction at all? From your standpoint then Mr. Phillips should not be allowed to teach our children again since he is so weak.

• posted at 1:20 pm on Mon, Apr 13, 2009.

You know Lodian, I think that's too bad. because I believe that a person deserves a chance to rehabilitate themselves from drugs. If not public, I hope a private school could give him a second, well monitored, chance. He could serve as an example to kids regarding what drugs can take away from you, and about how sobriety, and self-redemption, can bring you out of whatever pit you're in. Mr. Phillips has the possibility of having a lot to offer. I pray that he gets to that place.

• posted at 6:17 am on Mon, Apr 13, 2009.

Cogito and Edumacation: I don't think Mr. Phillips will be teaching again. Just a hunch.

• posted at 6:16 am on Mon, Apr 13, 2009.

Hope everyone had a nice Easter.

• posted at 10:22 am on Sun, Apr 12, 2009.

Lodian- goos post I also agree! I know several LUSD administrators with flagitiousness and hubris. It's time for responsible LUSD management, so that we can get REAL leadership in the employee selection prcess.

• posted at 4:03 am on Sun, Apr 12, 2009.

By the way, Lodian I agree with your last post 100%.

• posted at 4:01 am on Sun, Apr 12, 2009.

I asked a teacher from Lincoln Unified yesterday what she thought of this incident. I asked her if she thought that this guy could be rehabilitated and back teaching in a couple of years. She said she doubted it. There are highly qualified teachers, with whistle clean records, who are out of work now. She said this guy will never teach in a public school classroom again.

• posted at 7:38 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

Contrapasso (Apr 10, 2009 2:58 PM): Yes, of course people are allowed to do what they choose on their own time, as long as it's legal. I do believe that disrespectful out of control behavior, even outside of the school day, goes to character and should make one take notice. A person that chooses to get drunk and make an arse of themselves, outside of their teaching day, is showing you something of their decision making skills. This kind of person should be evaluated and probably drug tested to make sure they are behaving properly while teaching our children. It is not a stretch to suspect that a drunk outside of school may be making some bad choices while in school with our children. Do you disagree?

• posted at 7:28 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

motherof3 wrote "I agree with gomezfamilyx5"Did you also allow your 9-year-old to read these online responses?

• posted at 6:53 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

I agree with gomezfamilyx5 I too was in the class room and went on field trips and I never saw anything to throw a red flag at he really made sure my child was successful and never gave up on trying to help her like her teacher the previous year had done and I decided not to say anything to her when I found out because I wasn't sure how she would take it to my surprise when I got home she had told me all about it and it was discussed in her classroom along with gomezfamilyX5 my daughter was devastated her beloved teacher was in jail and she wanted to how long he was going to be in jail and she had heard that he was not allowed to see his daughter or his wife so we explained the situation to her and our family IS praying he gets the help his is needing to get better!!

• posted at 5:39 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

midtowner: You continue to attack me but do not share what has upset you. Frankly, I don't think you know... you just fly off at the handle at me for no reason. If you take issue with something I have said then spill it! Otherwise you just sound like a lunatic.

• posted at 5:32 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

gomezfamilyX wrote "My husband and I felt that our son was both old enough and had the right to know the truth. We let him read the story but was not aware of the blogs at the end. I take full blame for letting him read this site and will not make that mistake again."Yes, you should indeed take full responsibility for allowing your 9-year-old son to read these blogs. It is your fault that he became upset about what he read. Do not blame the posters here for your son being upset. We are not here to make sure our words are safe to read by a 9-year-old. That's your job and you failed. So stop attacking the posters here for your failure.

• posted at 2:21 am on Sat, Apr 11, 2009.

Contrapasso 5:19: Good one!I recently asked an un-named administrator what they did all day long. They Replied "What?, you not suppose to axe me that qurstion!"Edumacation Lodi style. LOL

• posted at 3:17 pm on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

Lodian wrote on Apr 9, 2009 10:09 PM:" gomezfamilyX5: Unfortunately, your positive opinion of Mr. Phillips is marred by you admitting that your 9-year-old son is allowed to read these blogs. I question your decision to allow your 9-year-old to read these blogs and/or share with him what is being said here by anonymous bloggers. IMO,it is inappropriate for a little boy to read these online comments. "I agree that my son is to young to read these blogs. After he came home from school with rumors of his late teachers arrest and hearing many different stories, my son was very concerned of what was going to happen to this man. I pulled this story up and read it before letting my son read it. My husband and I felt that our son was both old enough and had the right to know the truth. We let him read the story but was not aware of the blogs at the end.I take full blame for letting him read this site and will not make that mistake again. I do feel sorry for you Lodian, you seem to not have a lot to your life then posting blogs.

• posted at 12:19 pm on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

OK to continue with the Macbeth theme:Washer Nicols's 6.63 pay cut and the board's 75.00 cut to their stipents are:"....a taletold by an idiot, full of sound and furySignifying nothing"

• posted at 12:08 pm on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

Midtowner: What is your opinion of HOW teachers can be hired with arrest or conviction records to teach our children.I never spoke to the innocence or guilt of the teacher. The criminal justice system will pursue those matters.The elephant in the room is how LUSD Personnel hiring practices seem to be the focus of the many BAD decisions we see again and again.Look at recent parent problems with principals, teachers and school security guards. All you have to do is read the public documents BEFORE you hire.It boils down to WHO IS RESPONSIBLE for protecting children? We want the best teachers, adminsitrators and classified employees. So why settle for hring people with a demonstrated record of problems?Are teachers correct who claim that nepotism and cronyism are rampant in the LUSD? Where is the "cut and paste" in that question?

• posted at 11:26 am on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

It's sorrowfully revealing the intelligence level of Lodian and Edmu with their posts. Lodian is a parrot and Edmu is good at copying and pasting or maybe eating paste, who knows? Knowledge and the truth will set you free, good day!

• posted at 11:17 am on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

Contapasso 3:39 But that was a quote from witch # 3, who is NOW lurking about in the halls of the ESC spinning spells and evil. LOL Cruel laughter...I am patiently waitng for the swift chop chop and hail Macduff, King of Scotland.It is ironic--isn't it---and very very sad, that the college degrees of the edumacators include such difficult "majors" as Child Development, Physical Edumacation, Recreation Therapy, Educational Equity and "Edumacation".How do these people have the gall to pretend that they can teach children, when they have taken the easy non-academic route to teaching?The "Administrative credential" and the "Masters of Edumacation" are ludicrous. Or as they say at the ESC "Ludacris". Isn't that the name of a gangsta rapper?

• posted at 10:39 am on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

Edumacation: You left out the best lines:Finger of a birth-strangled babeDitch-deliver'd by a drab......That's about how important the kids are to the kleptocrats!

• posted at 10:32 am on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

I am the worst typist! I meant I understand!!!!

• posted at 10:07 am on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

We still have sum ED-U-Ma-Ka-Terz in the Areida Center. Should we keep promting them or show them the exit door? This time, hopefully without a million dollar golden handshake. Oh yes, it's all catching up with them. The planning and scheming will all unwind, hopefully under the public spotlight. We don't want to see any more squirming and sneaking around and the machinations of the architects of everything thats wrong with this district.

• posted at 10:00 am on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

Lodian 12:10- LOL ROFL good one1) I also don't want to shower with "midtowner" LOL2) The ESC is bubbling and boiling lke the Witches cauldron it is with blaming on this one. Just like I predicted.Quoting Witch #2: "Double double toil and trouble Fire burn and caudron bubble--- Fillet of a fenny snake, In the caldron boil and bake; Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a hell-broth boil and bubble. Macbeth Act IV scene 1 by W ShakespeareCan we say "Ed-U-Ma-Ka-Shun"?The edumacators in the ESC should read Macbeth to find out what happens next.LOL

• posted at 9:58 am on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

Hi Lodian: I umbderstand that you would lose respect for the teacher if she was repeatedly or consistently intoxicated in public. That's a natural reaction. But Lodimommie suggested that the teacher be fired for it. be fired for it. Again, if it does not affect her job performance and she is not intoxicated during school hours, then it is not grounds for dismissal. If the teacher in this article was under the influence during school hours, he should be dismissed. No question about that. But teachers are people and are entitled to any legal activity on their own time.

• posted at 7:11 am on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

midtowner: You are shooting the messenger, again.

• posted at 7:10 am on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

midtowner: Where have I stated anything that was untrue or lacking in factual information as presented? Please quote me. FYI, these boards are here for comment on the above article. And, no, I do not want to shower with you.

• posted at 6:33 am on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

Lodian: count how many times alleged or allegedly is used in this article and then tell me you have FACTS. I know more about this matter than you may think. Take the blinders off and see the light, maybe take a shower also!

• posted at 5:18 am on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

midtowner wrote on Apr 10, 2009 8:40 AM:" Lodian: your are so full of yourself, it's sickening. You pass judgement and condone others without having all of the facts. BARF! "LOL! Back up your attack with "FACTS"! Don't be so ignorant as to what these boards are all about. You obviously had an opinion, without any facts, and proceeded to post that opinionated attack. So what? What's your beef? You seem to want to attack the messengers here while whining about being attacked. Ironic, isn't it? We didn't commit a crime, nor did we get arrested. Read the article.

• posted at 5:08 am on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

WCPAtty wrote on Apr 10, 2009 7:20 AM:" gomezfamily: Your son would not be crushed if his beloved teacher did not CHOSE to use illegal drugs. Please explain to your son that some adults are "mean" because we expect much higher standards for those who are placed to care for children on our taxpaying dollar and don't except excuses for this behavior. Personally, I think your anger is misdirected. "Well said.

• posted at 3:42 am on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

WCPAtty- I agree! To those of you who are teachers of the LUSD, ask yourself if you have known an unwanted NEW teacher who gets transferred around ONLY to so-called "GOOD" schools?I can understand during annual selections, that newer teachers have less seniority, and can be expected to transfer, but why was he assigned ONLY to other "good" schools? I would expect that if a Principal really didn't want a teacher, they could have provided an evaluation to keep administrators happy, and would assign the "unwanted" teacher to certain schools where most teachers don't want to go. We all (parents and teachers) know those schools. Look at the test scores and suspension stats. All schools are not the same!Thats exactly why the LUSD has a seniority system for teacher school preference.This teacher did NOT not get assigned to those schools. WHY? There is something unusual here!Does this teacher have relatives or friends in 'high' places?Is it true that the LUSD has a preference for female (mostly blonde)teachers in grades K-6?Look at the McAuliffe lawsuit filed by teachers against the LUSD.

• posted at 3:40 am on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

• posted at 2:20 am on Fri, Apr 10, 2009.

• posted at 5:17 pm on Thu, Apr 9, 2009.

Contrapasso: I think Lodimommie was trying to say that someone inclined to public drunkenness basically shows their true character. I would definitely lose respect for my child's teacher if she were out making a drunken spectacle of herself. It would make me wonder about her other daily decisions.

• posted at 5:09 pm on Thu, Apr 9, 2009.

gomezfamilyX5: Unfortunately, your positive opinion of Mr. Phillips is marred by you admitting that your 9-year-old son is allowed to read these blogs. I question your decision to allow your 9-year-old to read these blogs and/or share with him what is being said here by anonymous bloggers. IMO, it is inappropriate for a little boy to read these online comments.

• posted at 1:04 pm on Thu, Apr 9, 2009.

I hope and pray that this man wasn't under the influence of heroin when he was teaching, but I can't make a judgement because I do not know the facts. If he was, THEN HE SHOULD NEVER TEACH AGAIN, ANYWHERE!And to Lodimommie: You said "I also love how my child's former 1st grade teacher regularly goes to the Grape festival to get "smashed" in front of the town - it's pathetic, she should have been fired a long time ago with so many complaints about her mean attitude towards the kids and her well-known public partying... what a joke. "The mean attitude would be a cause for concern; the teacher's drinking at the Grape Festival is not anyone's business unless it somehow affected her job performance or if she did things that are illegal. To suggest that she be fired for drinking on her own time is ludicrous. If you think that anyone who holds a job and drinks on his/her own time should be fired, then the unemployment rate would be a lot higher.

• posted at 9:52 am on Thu, Apr 9, 2009.

My son was taught by Mr. Phillips last year and Mr. Phillips was one of the best teachers that my son has had. In the 7 years that my children have attended school in Lodi Unified,I have found very few teachers that seemed qualified and competent. Mr.Phillips had a great way of teaching the kids and my son learned so much from him. I never suspected any drug use by this teacher nor do I think he was under the influence at the time he taught my son. I spent some time in the class and on field trips and Mr. Phillips was nothing but professional, caring, and competent. My son has been crushed by this story of his teachers arrest but more hurt by all the mean things that people have posted about someone he cares so much for. I tried to explain to him that people make bad choices and struggle with addictions and that Mr. Phillips needs help. Even at 9 yrs old he seemed to understand. What he could not understand is why grown adults were saying such mean things about someone they did not know. That I could not explain to him.

• posted at 9:11 am on Thu, Apr 9, 2009.

ShockedinLodi: Four administrators were advocates for him: Superintendent Huyett, Assistant Superintendent Odie, the former Assistant Sup of Personnel and the former Chief of Certificated Personnel. Mesfun reportedly left for personal reasons. But there was also an allegation by the PTA President of sexual harrassment. Of course---parents don't count. The only thing that is important to them is who has the power and the huge salaries.The palace on Vine street is like a Circus sideshow complete with the "beards" and various other performers.They know who they are. It's a big pretend game to them. Where is the professionalism?As they goof---we pay. No one at the Taj Mahal is held accountable for TERRIBLE decisions.Lets fire a few, and watch what happens. The first thing is we will start saving money.

• posted at 8:21 am on Thu, Apr 9, 2009.

edumacation - Who protected Mr.Mesfun? That is the real story since they are still working of LUSD.

• posted at 6:17 pm on Wed, Apr 8, 2009.

DeadEndJob: On 23, March 2008 the LNS said this:"Three former Christa McAuliffe Middle School teachers have filed a lawsuit against the school's former principal, Russom Mesfun, and Lodi Unified School District.....The suit, filed in San Joaquin County Superior Court on Feb. 27 by San Francisco attorney Stephen Jaffe, says Mesfun favored minority and young, female employees. The teachers are seeking more than $25,000 each for damages and attorney's fees.Mesfun, now a principal at Montera Middle School in Oakland, did not return a message for comment by press time.Mesfun resigned from his post Aug. 14 after serving as the school's principal for less than a year.Interim Superintendent Len Casanega said Friday that Mesfun's resignation was not connected to the allegations made in the lawsuit.The plaintiffs claim the district is at fault because its officials failed to take care of the situation when they were notified.HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?We see it again and again! Who is monitoring these hiring functions and why aren't they held accountable?We need an independent audit of LUSD Personnel Department hiring policies and actions.

• posted at 6:03 pm on Wed, Apr 8, 2009.

DeadEndJob: The most important issue about this matter, is not the guilt/innocence of one teacher.Why does the LUSD Personnel Department make so many questionable decisions?What about the million dollar golden handshake made last year with the interim superintendent?Is it a coincidence that a former Personnel department employee was promoted to become the Superintendent?Were the School Board claims of paperwork "errors" that resulted in the million dollar pension accurate?Why didn't we start investigating last year? How and Why does that happen? Who should be held accountable?How can a teacher get interviewed, fingerprinted and hired with an alleged criminal arrest record without ANYONE asking WHY?Many of us know of other teachers and administrators with sketchy pasts. How did they get hired? promoted?What really goes on in the Castle on Vine Street. We thought that personnel department issues of the past were resolved? But it only looks worse. Many parents have been talking about the "merry-go-round" atmosphere at the ESC.What about the Principal at McAuliffe Middle school who was sued last year?http://www.lodinews.com/articles/2008/03/23/news/4_suit_080322.txt

• posted at 5:27 pm on Wed, Apr 8, 2009.

DeadEndJob%:01 I asked two relevant questions and made one good suggestion. The other three sentences are well known facts. Why would you be offended about anything concerning the teacher? The case needs to be investigated by the Police and later possibly by the District Attorney. They will decide if crimes were committed, and charge accordingly. He will get his day in court and questions about ESC Personnel hiring practices will be asked.Why are you so sensitive about gender identity issues of teachers and administrators who are around our children? I know about "human rights"? What about the rights of children to not be immersed in a culture of amorality and deceit?If you have an "issue", walk up to the podium and tell us about it. You have rights, and so do parents. Do you remember the LUSD anti-drug slogan: JUST SAY NO!? What happened to that? Or are drugs okay for teachers only?

• posted at 5:59 am on Wed, Apr 8, 2009.

Legalization will make no difference in regards to people's use, but to end a failed prohibition and tax something like marijuana, California would be OUT of debt THIS year and the criminals selling it would be out of business.

• posted at 3:07 am on Wed, Apr 8, 2009.

LegalizeDrugs Your kidding of course, Hmmmmm!!! You want legalized drugs, I think not, you want an example of legalized drugs look toAmsterdam!! The city parks are full of stoned zombies panhandling for drugmoney. It has gotten so bad the Netherlands is looking to outlaw drugs .Wehave enough trouble with Alcohol we dont need drugs to go along with it.

• posted at 6:22 pm on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

I am not saying in reference to Adults who have a drink on THEIR own time.I am referring to TEACHERS and or other Employees, who drink on District time! Yes, this does happen.Then they complain that they have to take work home with them and how hard they work. Whats up with that???

• posted at 5:35 pm on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

I was stunned when I pulled up this article online and saw Mr Phillips picture one of my children had him last year when he was at Vinewood and he was a great teacher!! Im not sure what happened between that time and now but he is human and we all make mistakes was what he did right? no it wasnt but maybe he needs help and he can get that now I do know he has a family and im going to pray for all of them I'd like to beleive this to not be true from our experience with him he really helped my child suceed but thats not the case I do feel sad for the students and why didnt they go after the person on the bike?? the officer obviously knew what had just gone down ....PLEASE dont get me wrong I dont agree with what he did

• posted at 5:06 pm on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

I agree 100% percent with glasshouses. Everyone has the legal right of being innocent till proven gulity. Everyone here is shaking there fingers and attacking him when really we only know what the newspaper has told us which really is limited and not much.For all we know his story could be true even though thats unlikely. And SHOCKEDINLODI why shouldnt we be praying for Michael and only for the kids? obviously he did no harm to the kids or showed any signs of herion abuse while teaching.My main question though is that if LPD thought that michael was buying drugs from the man on the bycicle then why didnt he stop the man on the bycicle? I mean if they really want to stop the distrubtion and usage of illegal drug in lodi then shouldnt they start at the root of the problem which would be the dealer? Hopefully the cop did send someone after the biker and they just didnt mention that in the article. Ill be praying for michael. And if he is an addict, which is possible, then i pray for his recovery and that his career and life arent ruined

• posted at 5:03 pm on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

glashouses....what are you talking about he is guilty, it was found on his desk and in his car too. i am a grandparent of one of his students and if my baby would have found that pill and taken it thinking it was candy which im glad she wouldnt have thanks to family, your saying we should have waited until the druged-up teacher had potenially had a chance to hurt one of our children then be found guilty? you must not have any children or your just plain ignorant.

• posted at 4:50 pm on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

This teacher deserves to lose his job, after all, my grandaughter has told me that he would fall asleep during mathamatics, now for a 8 yr old to witness a teacher falling asleep and then finding out the teacher was on drugs "HEROIN" AT THAT, i'm thinking about talking to an attorney, the school district is supposed to keep our children safe, How can we trust any teacher now not knowing if he or she will be high in class? And for all you idiots that say that this should be leagal...How high are you and are your kids safe? If my baby has any kind of disease because of this teacher...look out for attorneys!

• posted at 4:22 pm on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

A Lodi teacher arrested for possessing heroin may face more charges after police found a morphine pill sitting on his desk in his classroom, police said Tuesday.Michael Scott Phillips, 37, is currently on paid administrative leave from his job at Beckman Elementary School, where he teaches second grade. Another officer followed up at the Scarborough Drive school, and found the morphine pill sitting on the teacher's desk in his second-grade classroom, Sgt. Tod Patterson said Tuesday.An empty pill capsule and a syringe cap were also sitting on the desk, Patterson said.Glad my child does not have this teacher. My child is highly allergic to Morphine and the residue from the pill or on the pill would have killed him. This could have been so much worse. A second grade child could have taken it thinking it was candy. People think he should get a second chance? Really? You are as high as him. I feel sorry for what the parent are going to have to tell their children who had him as a teacher. Sorry Johnny Mr. Phillips won't be back(but is still getting paid)because ??????

• posted at 4:01 pm on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

This is probably the best thing that could happen to this man.

• posted at 4:00 pm on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Ordinarycitizen, thanks for your wisdom here today. You show insight to how drugs ruin lives, and compassion for the user. This arrest may be what this man needs to save him from himself. If this drug were legal, it would not only steal his potential, but his life. Not to mention many others. Being a child of the 70s, I've watched drugs wreck havoc on my generation. Legalization is insanity.

• posted at 2:23 pm on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

What is the ESC? It was not explained, and before you print initials, or abbreviations, you might want to explain it for those of us who do not live on a computer.Thank you.

• posted at 2:18 pm on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Are you actually comparing the use of illicit drugs during school hours to an adult having a drink on their own time? That's crazy... Let's not slide down that slippery slope, okay?

• posted at 2:01 pm on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Who in the hell hired this guy???

• posted at 1:47 pm on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

How sad but I am glad he was caught... All teachers need to be randomly drug tested as far as I'm concerned (or are they?) I also love how my child's former 1st grade teacher regularly goes to the Grape festival to get "smashed" in front of the town - it's pathetic, she should have been fired a long time ago with so many complaints about her mean attitude towards the kids and her well-known public partying... what a joke.

• posted at 1:33 pm on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Temp. Janitor,Heroin,Intestinal Surgery, Diabetic & KMart, Who Hasn't Had That Happen...Late On Lunch. 87

• posted at 12:01 pm on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Edumacation, I am highly offended by your coment about this teacher possibly being related to someone at the ESC. So what if he was. How humiliating for anyone in his family. Guess what!! I have news for you. We here in Lodi and those of us at the ESC arent all related. I am quite sure that the district is not in the business of hiring criminals.As for people who have gender issues. Who cares. They have these things called HUMAN RIGHTS. They can be who ever they want and it does'nt mean they are'nt capible of being good role models or good teachers. Maybe you should move to the Middle East where they execute people like that. You seem to fit in with that type of crowd.

• posted at 11:41 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Lodi lovers and haters.... You are an interesting bunch. I agree with the anti-drug crowd and I also agree with the rehabilatory crowd. This teacher definetly got himself into a bad situation. I think the school board definetly needs to really change their way of doing background checks. For the past decade schools have been more worried about the superintendent's wages than the teachers that are actually doing the work. The LPD is just a typical small-town bunch that are trying to do their best. As a former heroin junkie myself, I say rehabilitate the guy and give him another chance. At least he wasn't a child molester.

• posted at 9:36 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

I wonder if this teacher has any friends or relatives in the ESC? Many times that is a requirement for getting either a promotion or job in this district. There are a lot of multiple family members working at the LUSD. Start looking in the Personnel Department and then the rest of the ESC. I understand there are many former lawbreakers on contract with the required approval of the school board. The district also has many employees with gender identity problems---but they are protected under the Ed code guidelines. Isn't that special?

• posted at 8:33 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

At age 20, I was struck head on by a drunk driver going 80! Now 35 years later, I am still disabled. I never turned to cigs, to get my "Nicotine" outlook on life, I never smoked pot, did crack, meth, heroin or turned to the bottle to hide from the stresses I faced then or now. We all are faced with crisis's in one form or another. How we deal with them or hide from them behind an addiction and blame EVERYONE but ourselves if an "Individual's choice"! The responsibility, or failure to be responsible is only upon their shoulders! I have no sympathy for an addict, regardless of what type of addiction it is. Stop doing it or face the consequences!

• posted at 7:53 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

This is a sad story all the way around. Good work LPD! To quote the Dandy Warhols, "heroin is so passe"...

• posted at 7:26 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Who did the back ground check on the Application???Oh thats right it didn't get file???Well Pray he get the help he needs to stay clean if not he will be back on the streets selling to Students!!! Wake up!!! Drugs are in your City!!! Those who want to stay clean get help.This isn't just a slip!!!

• posted at 5:41 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Fact - Sacramento County court records show that in April 2002 Phillips was charged with being under the influence of a controlled substance, driving under the influence and reckless driving. (He did plea it out do avoid a trial. Are you saying this is not a fact? )

• posted at 5:31 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

The key word is ALLEGED! If you had been stopped and had an article printed about you without benefit of full presentation of evidence and facts, you would probably have a different attitude about this matter. The constitution allows us all to be considered innocent until proven guilty. I am certain that not all the facts have been disclosed. Remember the Golden Rule and do not condemn until all facts are disclosed. It is only fair.

• posted at 5:28 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

dig deeper, my reader, dig deeper The one From Harvard 95 is very intersing.

• posted at 5:18 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Fact - Sacramento County court records show that in April 2002 Phillips was charged with being under the influence of a controlled substance, driving under the influence and reckless driving. (so is it really far off he is still using)In the trunk, police said they found a bag full of used syringes. Phillips, who has had a California teaching credential since 2005 according to state records, allegedly told police he had started using the illegal drugs three years ago. He said he hadnt cleaned out his car in a very long time. (Three years ago was 2006 and he was teaching at this time.)Police allegedly found a syringe in Phillips pocket, one in the center console and a third behind the passenger seat. Though Phillips said he was a diabetic and takes insulin before going to work, the third syringe had a substance in it that later tested positive for heroin, police said.Michael Scott Phillips, 37, was arrested Friday after he allegedly told Lodi police that a temporary janitor told him he could buy heroin on East Vine Street. (So is the temporary janitor still there?)

• posted at 5:03 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Don't forget that these are ALLEGATIONS. Nothing has been proven, and he has NOT been found guilty. Often things appear much worse than they really are, and unfortunately people are already condemning this man before the facts all come out. He deserves to be considered innocent until proven guilty, and shame on those of you who believe otherwise. Until the FACTS are known, people need to refrain from judgment. He deserves to be treated fairly under the law, and if the News Sentinel would have done the right thing and waited for the verdict before printing this article, a good man could have kept his good name. Instead, even if/when he is found not guilty, the words of this article will stick in the minds of the public. Good luck and many prayers to this man.

• posted at 4:57 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Whoa Nellie! wrote on Apr 7, 2009 9:47 AM:" Somehow I don't think the LEA will fight too hard for this guy when he's put on the layoff list.Seriously, if my kid was in his class I'd be getting a blood test for Hep and HIV. Sure it's a long shot but.... "I guess ya never know so it's a good idea to have a child checked by a doctor if he/she was in this class. This guy seems like he was pretty careless. I'm sure the parents of these little third graders are very concerned.

• posted at 4:53 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Cogito wrote on Apr 7, 2009 6:52 AM:" LegalizeDrugs, if you think legalizing drugs would make us a better society, you must be high. So, in your world, people high on drugs can drive around in cars and teach your children, and you're cool with that? they told you that stuff would give you brain damage. "Well said. I agree.

• posted at 4:52 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Ordinarycitizen If you have on demand watch some episodes of intervention. These people are the true study of what grace, mercy and a whole lot of love will do when battling heroin addiction. Most heroin addicts will not make it long term. They cheat and steal to get the drug. I was at the skate park yesterday and I saw 16 children drinking beer. I was there for 15 minutes and I saw 2 Lodi Police Officers drive by and not stop. I was shocked that these children could be drinking and in public. I was watching the skate park to see if it was safe for my child to go to. I will never allow my child to go to the skate park after sitting and watching for 15 minutes. There was a 5 or 6 year old child watching the older children and I was shocked his parents just dropped him off. My point legalizing drugs will just make it easier for children to buy.

• posted at 4:51 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

12:50? Lunch is over at this time.He was on his "prep" period.I wonder how many Teachers are hanging out at bars to make it through the rest of the day?I thought this was supposed to be used for correcting papers making copy's etc.....LUSD, it is Teachers wasting time.They need to be watched more carefully.I guess he needed some heroin to make it through the rest of the day?I wonder if he put in his mileage sheet?This is rediculas

• posted at 4:47 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

• posted at 4:40 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Long term effects continuedAs higher doses are used over time, physical dependence and addiction develop. With physical dependence, the body has adapted to the presence of the drug and withdrawal symptoms may occur if use is reduced or stopped. Withdrawal, which in regular abusers may occur as early as a few hours after the last administration, produces drug craving, restlessness, muscle and bone pain, insomnia, diarrhea and vomiting, cold flashes with goose bumps ("cold turkey"), kicking movements ("kicking the habit"), and other symptoms. Major withdrawal symptoms peak between 48 and 72 hours after the last does and subside after about a week. Sudden withdrawal by heavily dependent users who are in poor health can be fatal.

• posted at 4:39 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

UncleStinky:I did some research on long term effects: I went to drug free.orgWhat are its long-term effects? Long-term effects of heroin appear after repeated use for some period of time.Chronic users may develop collapsed veins, infection of the heart lining and valves, abscesses, cellulites, and liver disease. Pulmonary complications, including various types of pneumonia, may result from the poor health condition of the abuser, as well as from heroin's depressing effects on respiration.In addition to the effects of the drug itself, street heroin may have additives that do not really dissolve and result in clogging the blood vessels that lead to the lungs, liver, kidneys, or brain. This can cause infection or even death of small patches of cells in vital organs. With regular heroin use, tolerance develops. This means the abuser must use more heroin to achieve the same intensity or effect.

• posted at 4:27 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

My heart does go out to Michael Phillips. He is an ordinary human being who made a very poor decision he now has to deal with. It was a good thing he was arrested because now he has to face the truth, and hopefully the truth will set him free. Everybody is faced with choices every single day of their lives. To do the right things in life, or not. It's that simple. However, no matter how bad things become in a person's life, there is still redemption. Michael Phillips is a life that can change, turn things around and do some good for those who will listen, including the students, faculty and parents that he has disappointed. He can get off the junk and end up teaching drug intervention classes and teach students just how dangerous drug use is because he is a person who obviously has been there, done that, and hopefully he will get off and stay clean. All he needs is grace, mercy and a whole lot of love and his life can be turned around.

• posted at 4:27 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

midtowner - I don't do drugs, never have, and never will. I lost a child and I still did not turn to drugs to ease the pain. "Be careful about throwing stones in a glass house" This is an insult. I also do not care what his intentions were he did go to class and interact with children when high. He made his own bed, now it is time to sleep in it. You are more than welcome to have him baby-sit your children but I would not have him anywhere around my children. Is he asking for help? No, he was lying to cover up his using. He also had a bag full of used syringes in his car. Would you like the children to get a hold of these? He cared about one thing and that was getting high. No sympathy from me.

• posted at 4:26 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

" Not really sure how someone could function under the influence of herion let alone teach a room full of students and stay coherient. very easily- read about the effects on long term users- Pilots, cops, doctors, ect. Very easy to hide its use if one is carful. google up for a couple of good reseach papers on the subject.

• posted at 4:21 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

To LegalizeDrugs: I am sorry for your loss. I, too, have lost a brother and other family members due to their poor choices. i.e.: lung cancer due to smoking; AIDS due to unprotected sex, etc. Having said that, my ex, the father of my two children, was a heroin addict back in the late 70's. I saw drugs ruin his life, even the seemingly innocuous pot ruined his life. That's why he is my ex. Having said that, no matter if heroin or other drugs became legal, the drugs would still have killed your brother and destroyed countless untold lives, as it is doing today and will continue to do so tomorrow. Unfortunately, your brother made a very poor choice to try the drugs in the first place, thus getting himself addicted. Heroin is a liar. Pot is a liar. Meth is a liar. It says that if you should do this, all of your troubles will go away. Pain will go away. People are exchanging the truth for lies everyday. The truth, drugs destroy and eventually kill. By the way, my ex has Hep C due to his drug use. Drugs will kill eventually.

• posted at 4:13 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Not really sure how someone could function under the influence of herion let alone teach a room full of students and stay coherient. I really hate to ask, but where was LUSD? I am sure they had to have complaints from parents and perhaps other Teachers. Probably some things that were worth looking into. If LNS has their info correct, It says he was on probabtion which ended in 2005, which is when he started teaching; which means he would have had a record prior to him teaching w/LUSD. How did this person pass a background check which is required by LUSD?

• posted at 3:53 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

To LegalizeDrugs: "Innocent People"? Thanks alot! Ya just made me spit out my coffee! Where do you think MOST addicts get the money for their Heroin? From your house and mine!

• posted at 3:51 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

A lot of drug activity isgoing on by those on Bicycles, especially many of those LOITERING across from the Golden Era Hotel, where the Fork lift ramp is! No Loitering signs are posted on that ENTIRE Cherry Plant side WITH the LMC ordinance, yet LPD drives right on by every time...."Because of the paperwork involved! It seems LPD wants bigger fish to catch"!

• posted at 3:44 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Hey did you guys notice the headline? Way to go grammer checkers! Are you guys also on the junk? Nah, but I'm sure he's just a maintenance junkie, he probably waits to get really high at home....Aaaahhh I feel badly for him and the children he teaches. I'm sure he does too.

• posted at 3:34 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

First, kudos to LPD for getting this loser out of the classroom for good. He could have pursued other means to deal with his pain. I don't feel sorry for him one bit.Second, to Legalize: even if useless destructive drugs like heroin became legal EVERY school district (and most businesses) would still require employees to be drug free and would have the right to fire any user.

• posted at 3:33 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Ginko....look up "weather" and "whether"Drug users DO need to be "put down." Gee, that can be taken a couple of different ways, can't it? Do you really want your doctors legally using drugs while operating on you, the pilot flying your plane legally using, or the trash collector driving a zillion-ton vehicle on the streets using drugs! Wise up!

• posted at 3:30 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

shocked: I'll pray for the students as well. Michael needs help. His intensions were not to harm the students. Be careful about throwing stones in a glass house. In no way I'm defending Michael but he needs help.

• posted at 3:12 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Midtowner Dont pray for Michael. Pray for the 100s of children this jerk was trying to teach when high. Michael did this to himself, but the children that will not have learned anything because of a high teacher did nothing.

• posted at 3:10 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

People need to remember that weather you are a teacher, a doctor or the guy that collects our trash we are all just people. None of us wear capes and fly through the air. We are just regular human beings who have issues and concerns and putting each other down helps no one. We, as a society need to find ways to support each other in times of need and making nasty and mean comments does not help.

• posted at 3:09 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

LegalizeDrugs - I really don't need someone using heroin to teach my child. To go on your lunch break, then come back, and teach children is irresponsible. How can you teach someone when your eyes are rolling back in your head and you are completely gone. I have watched intervention and there is no way that no one noticed this teacher was on drugs. Heroin is a drug that you can tell people are using, ummm maybe the track marks are a give away. Are there not drug test for teachers? There should be because this should never happen. Thank you LPD for keeping an eye open to this and shame on LUSD for missing it.

• posted at 2:31 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

The NCLB act really must be hitting our teachers hard. I mean it is b.s.

• posted at 2:04 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Michael: we will pray that you get the help you need.

• posted at 1:52 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

• posted at 1:20 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Drugs & Sex??? What is it with teachers? Is it in the water @ school?

• posted at 12:16 am on Tue, Apr 7, 2009.

Heroin should be flat out legal. A group of very serious policemen have formed a group to legalize ALL drugs, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (http://leap.cc ) They see what happened when we legalized alcohol in 1932 as a good example of how drug legalization would work. We can't stop drugs. They're sick of chasing drug users and sending innocent people to prison for decades just because they like to get high. This foolish war on drugs has lasted 37 years and cost us over a TRILLION dollars and we are not an inch closer to stopping drugs. How many millions of Americans are we going to lock up in prison for decades? My brother, Spencer Montgomery III would still be alive if heroin had been legal. He overdosed because He didn't know the actual strength of the heroin he injected. If he could have bought a known amount of heroin in a pharmacy he would still be alive today. Legalize ALL drugs now. Mark Montgomery boboberg@nyc.rr.com

• posted at 11:21 pm on Mon, Apr 6, 2009.

In his car instead of his in car.