Acampo woman describes ordeal of being chained to bed, tortured

Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 10:00 pm

Fighting back tears, an Acampo woman detailed in court Friday how her boyfriend jumped on her, chained her to a bed, then beat her when she tried to escape.

She got away after several days and was hospitalized with broken ribs, a punctured lung, severe bruising and a head injury that triggered a stroke. Six weeks later, she still limps due to the stroke.

"I didn't ask to be beaten that way. I'm not a dog; even a dog has better treatment than that," the victim testified in a shaky voice.

Her testimony was enough for Judge Bob McNatt to order Charles Robert Peck Jr. to stand trial on domestic violence and torture charges that could send him to prison for life.

Peck, now 51, is jailed without bail due to a parole hold related to a kidnapping and robbery conviction in Kansas, for which he served 21 years in prison.

He and the 52-year-old victim had been in a relationship for several years, and they were living off Peltier Road. Peck worked as a truck driver, and the two had driven to Southern California and returned the evening of June 26, she said.

They got into an argument that night. Then, shortly before 4 a.m., he jumped on top of her, the woman testified. She said Peck began wrapping duct tape around her head, at one point choking her and making her lose consciousness before chaining her to a fold-away bed he'd moved to the garage.

He put a chain around her neck and attached it to her arms, said the woman. The News-Sentinel is not naming her because she is an alleged domestic violence victim.

When Peck left several hours later, the woman said she managed to unfasten part of the chain and went outside, to see him standing on the property.

"I still had the chains attached to me and he said, 'You ain't going nowhere,' and he dove at me," she said.

The woman testified that Peck began kicking her in the ribs before dragging her back into the garage.

She said he beat her with a wooden stick, inflicting numerous injuries that were later photographed at a hospital.

Peck took her inside and she said she didn't try to escape again, because she was afraid. The beatings stopped, she said, and Peck gave her some water and eventually took the duct tape off her head, pulling out some hair in the process.

She testified that Peck put her in the shower to clean her up, saying, "I never wanted to do this to you. Look what you make me do to you."

She said Peck called into work to take a couple days off, and at one point went to the Salvation Army to get food. When asked by prosecutor Jeff Derman why she didn't run then, the woman said she was afraid.

"I just knew he was outside waiting for me to make a move," she said.

Finally, on the morning of July 1, Peck had gone to work and the woman said she finally began to think he really had left. She decided to try to leave again.

"By God's grace I got out of there. … The angels took me across and I opened the gate," she said, breaking down into sobs that caused the judge to call a five-minute break.

The woman said she ran into the street and tried to flag down a car. The first one passed without stopping. The second one slowed but didn't help.

The third vehicle stopped, and the woman told the male driver that her boyfriend had beat her, she'd escaped and she was afraid he would return. The man dialed 9-1-1, and an ambulance soon arrived.

The woman spent three days at Lodi Memorial Hospital. In the meantime, Sheriff's deputies began searching for Peck.

He was arrested July 5 under Highway 99 at Jahant Road and has pleaded not guilty to felony charges of torture, domestic violence, assault, false imprisonment and dissuading a witness.

Under questioning by Deputy Public Defender Matthew Kowalski, the woman acknowledged that she's had her own problems, including decades of drug addiction. She said she and Peck ingested methamphetamine together, sometimes while on the road for his trucking job.

Peck was twice arrested on suspicion of battery against the woman, but she later told police she'd lied.

"All I wanted was somebody to love me the way I loved them, to try to make a decent home," she testified.

"I was trying to make it right with him, in my own sick mind. … I never had somebody to love me before. I never had a straight relationship before without drugs."

Peck, who never displayed emotion during the hearing, will next appear in court Aug. 28. No trial date has yet been set.

Contact reporter Layla Bohm at layla@lodinews.com.

• 1 Use your real name. You must register with your full first and last name before you can comment. (And don't pretend you're someone else.)
  • 3 Don't threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
  • 6 Stay on topic. Make sure your comments are about the story. Don't insult each other.
  • 7 Tell us if the discussion is getting out of hand. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.

• posted at 12:44 pm on Mon, Aug 17, 2009.

This guy already spent 21 yrs. in jail? I thought kidnapping was a life sentence. He should be duct taped and chained to his bunk in jail. Thank God she is alive, the next step for these weak minded control freaks is to pull the trigger. That happens way to often lately. The meth in no way helps any situation, but she kept her wits and got away. This scumbag does not belong out amongst us. I wish the lady well.

• posted at 7:31 pm on Sun, Aug 16, 2009.

Terrible story, but this is what meth can easily lead to. Better decisions on her part years ago would've avoided this type of situation. Then again, it would've probably been someone else, since this problem is epidemic.

• posted at 11:29 am on Sun, Aug 16, 2009.

I predict he will get off with probation

• posted at 9:24 am on Sun, Aug 16, 2009.

Well said Ordinarycitizen, without a doubt, I along with you and everyone that added a post are on the same page. Now what to do with him, state prison for the duration of his sentence would be good. Also put him in general population, and he can be someone else`s "kid" and possably know what the 52 year old victim went through.

• posted at 1:34 pm on Sat, Aug 15, 2009.

Men like this who abuse their wives, children, and even pets, do so because they are weak. They are weak because someone else has control of every other aspect of their lives. At work, the boss tells them what to do (if they have a job, if not, then unemployment overlords have control). Maybe other guys on the job pick on him. Maybe his in-laws don't like them (and why would they?). The only control he can exert is on someone weaker and who ever that is pays the price.Well, his boss didn't make him this way, or the guys at work, or who ever.He is this way because that's who he is.Her history of drug abuse is irrelevant since she is the one being abused. If it was the other way around, his history would be irrelevant.As soon as this guy goes away, she should pack up (sell everything of his first), and move. No remorse. No second thoughts.Enjoy prison Peck.

• posted at 12:49 pm on Sat, Aug 15, 2009.

To OMG!!: There wouldn't have been any more torture if he had caught her again. The next time she tried to run, he would have murdered her. It was very sad reading that two people went by her and it was obvious she had to of been in distress. It reminds me of the Good Samaritan. Two people walked by the beaten man left on the side of the road and then one person stopped and helped. This man was the Good Samaritan. Had Mr. Peck been hiding out and saw that man helping the Acampo woman, he might be dead today as well. I hope that this woman gets the substance abuse help she needs, but more than that, gets the emotional help she needs so that she will never become another man's doormat for abuse. No man for whatever reason should ever lay a hand on a woman, period. The fact that Mr. Peck hasn't shown any emotion in trial is because he doesn't believe he has a problem. He believes in his sick mind that she deserved his beatings. I hope he gets the maximum sentence and he will never harm a woman again.

• posted at 8:44 am on Sat, Aug 15, 2009.

I want to get a Jury Notice.

• posted at 8:29 am on Sat, Aug 15, 2009.

"Look what you made me do!"Typical batterer. They always refuse responsibility for their own actions.God bless this woman. I hope she gets the help she needs and turns her life around. I hope she'll stay away from the drugs, too. Meth especially makes people's lives spiral downward, and they often find themselves in the company of scumbags because of it.

• posted at 7:16 am on Sat, Aug 15, 2009.

To the man that stopped and helped her "thank you and may God bless you" he could have caught her again and torchered her more" Bless you..

• posted at 3:15 am on Sat, Aug 15, 2009.

It eludes me how someone can drive by and ignore this poor woman. One car even slowed down!?! If you two are out there, you are the worst of the worst this area has to offer. The good news: another "Tough Guy" off the street and I hope he gets Life! Just a disgusting story yet it goes on every day.