'My family is dead and in the ground, but their spirit is not'

Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 10:00 pm

Marilee Cross was a teenager when Walter Cronkite delivered the news on a television in her southern Oregon home:

Nine people, including several children, had been fatally shot in Victor, Calif.

• posted at 6:11 am on Mon, Sep 17, 2007.

Debbie was part of my circle of friends in high school. That night, several of us were going to visit her and Mark because we knew she was babysitting at the Parkins'. For whatever reasons, we changed our minds but always wondered what would have happened if we too had been at that house. The next morning, Mark's friends found them. The pain and sorrow of that day touched so many lives.

• posted at 5:56 am on Mon, Sep 17, 2007.

I remember how upset my parents were when this happened. So sad.

• posted at 5:44 am on Mon, Sep 17, 2007.

Interesting to read about the other family. Wally Parkin and I were very good friends in the late 40's and early 50's. I remember several of us from the neighborhood sleeping in the Parkin garage in a clubhouse we made quite often during the summer. I was very saddened when I read about Wally and all the others who were murdered in the 70's.

• posted at 7:48 pm on Sun, Sep 16, 2007.

I hope she doesn't sue Levesey for telling her story. Good job promoting someones furture book LNS. Isn't that what this artical is really about?

• posted at 2:20 pm on Sun, Sep 16, 2007.

It was a crisp fall morning and I was putting my shoes on for 6th grade at Alpine School. I was 11 and lived right down the street from the Parkins and about 3/4 a mile from the Earls. Bobby and I were good friends; I attended school with him and his sister Lisa. My mother looked out the window of our home on Orchard Rd and wondered why there were so many Sheriff cars rolling down the street. Needless to say my family's world changed on Nov 7th, 1973. 34 years and it seems like yesterday...

• posted at 2:20 pm on Sun, Sep 16, 2007.

I'd forgotton about the weather that day but the story brought it all back.

• posted at 4:05 am on Sun, Sep 16, 2007.

Marilee keep pushing for victim's rights. It is sad that the victim has less than the criminal

• posted at 8:53 pm on Sat, Sep 15, 2007.

I hope you can try to find peace through love from your supporters and friends. The trash that did this have been replaced with more trash.

• posted at 2:59 pm on Sat, Sep 15, 2007.

Dont let the detractors, and tha naysayers divert you from your path. Continue to push on, and you will find what you are looking for.

• posted at 10:14 am on Sat, Sep 15, 2007.

Wow...to hear those names after all these years...I remember going by the house right after it happened...still haunts me and I didnt even know them..I hope you find some Peace Marilee.

• posted at 8:16 am on Sat, Sep 15, 2007.

Marilee, thatnk-you for continuing to tell this story! Even for those of us who weren't born yet when this happened, everyone in our community needs to remember this and know about it. We need to know why "Parkin Memorial" Park exists at Victor School.

• posted at 4:00 am on Sat, Sep 15, 2007.

Marilee may peace be with you. That was a dark day for and the residents of Lodi. May Steelman and Gretzler rot in hell.