Although most people may assume the highest-paid personnel in Lodi Unified are office administrators, a list recently provided to the News-Sentinel by the district shows that nearly half are school principals.
During the 2007-08 school year, the highest paid principal was James Davis of McNair High School in north Stockton, with an annual salary of $123,506.
But high school principals are not the only top-paid school site leaders. Delta Sierra Middle School Principal Irene Outlaw and Stephen Takemoto, former Morada Middle School principal, brought in more than $112,000 each last school year.
Superintendent Cathy Nichols-Washer said principal positions are hard to retain.
"I don't think we're out of line with other districts," she said of their salaries. "The principal's job is a huge responsiblity. It's a 24-hour job. They are on call at all times and are responsible for everything that goes on there."
Last year, the school board voted to eliminate some vice principal positions and had those remaining double up on schools. At Tuesday's meeting, trustees approved laying off two more vice principals.
At the top of the district-provided pay list is Len Casanega, former interim superintendent. The board voted him into the position until replacement Cathy Nichols-Washer was hired last summer, and he has since retired from the district.
During the 2007-08 school year, he earned $165,828, while Associate Superintendent Odie Douglas brought in $149,107.
The superintendent's cabinet rounds out the list of the top seven wage earners. Administration salaries include benefits.
Top Lodi Unified wage earners for 2007-08 school year1. Len Casanega*, interim superintendent, $165,828.21
2. Odie Douglas, associate superintendent, $149,107.75
3. Doug Barge, chief business officer, $132,592.17
4. Barbara Johnston, assistant superintendent, $130,642.42
5. Catherine Pennington, assistant superintendent, $130,184.07
6. Art Hand, assistant superintendent, $129,267.42
7. Michael McKilligan, assistant superintendent, $124,632.16
8. Catherine Conrado, administrative director, $123,964.50
9. James Davis, high school principal, $123,506.16
10. Elliot Grauman, classified personnel director, $119,491.17
11. Bill Huyett, f-rmer superintendent, $118,437.71
12. Daryl Camp, high school principal, $117,915.40
13. Lisa Hayes, director of education support services, $117,754.64
14. William Toledo, continuation high school principal $116,289.26
15. Robert Rivas, continuation high school principal, $114,914.26
16. Steve Colwell, adult school principal, $114,789.59
17. Irene Outlaw, middle school principal, $113,055.25
18. Stephen Takemoto, middle school principal, $112,596.92
19. Bill Atterberry, high school principal, $112,593.25
20. Erik Sandstrom, high school principal, $111,676.59
* The board appointed former assistant superintendent of personnel Len Casanega interim superintendent in January 2008, a position he held until Cathy Nichols-Washer was hired last summer. She replaced Bill Huyett, who left the district for a similar job in Berkeley, and did not work an entire school year.
Source: Lodi Unified School District
Contact reporter Jennifer Bonnett at firstname.lastname@example.org.