Police crack down on unlicensed drivers

Just minutes after appearing in court, Lodians cited for driving away with suspended licenses

Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:00 am

When a judge suspends your driver's license and tells you not to drive until you get it back, you should probably obey.

That's the lesson four Lodi motorists learned Wednesday morning when they found themselves calling for rides and watching as tow trucks hauled their vehicles away. Minutes after resolving their court matter, they were holding new citations for driving without a valid license because undercover officers had watched them drive away from court.

• posted at 4:34 pm on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

edumacation is out in his own world most of the time. He's like that old blogger "real facts" in that ya just have to ignore him... maybe throw him a bone now and then if you're up for some amusement. lol!

• posted at 1:17 pm on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

Edu-Kinda get off track there buddy. Reel it back in.

• posted at 1:15 pm on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

Lodijoe-Either way, in MY case I've had no tags, no insurance, a DL all at various times. Yes I know not the smartest but when it's rent or car insurance, rent wins. And no, the old "you should choose not to drive then" doesn't work either because you have to get to work so you can at least pay half you're bills! (I'm not contending you said this)There are situations that folks get into that are simply unavoidable. It is what it is. You bring home X and your bills are Y and something gotta give. So you do like I did and get lucky. These folks in this story didn't get lucky.

• posted at 10:46 am on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

hasn't anyone seen those signs advertising for insurance that say "no license, no problem"?? One day I am going to call and find out who those insurance carriers are...Max- you are probably grateful your wife survived and are willing to leave it like that... but I wish you and your wife would ask the state to make it mandatory that all vehicles must pass a safety inspection at every renewal. She was hit by one junker that should not have been on the road. I have lived in states that had this requirement; a colored coded inspection sticker is on the inside of the windshield...it serves as another visual flag to law enforcement when a car is not in compliance with the laws. Your wife's experience makes a compelling story that legislators might listen to..

• posted at 4:26 am on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

LodiBill, I wrote that they will suspend your driver's license and that is incorrect. What they do is suspend your VEHICLE registration until you show proof of insurance. They should require a valid driver's license to register a motor vehicle or have special circumstances (i.e. invalid and someone else will be driving, etc) why you need a motor vehicle registered in your name with NO driver's license.

• posted at 4:11 am on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

Yes, you can receive a ticket for having a for sell sign on your car if it in not parked in front of your home (the registered address of the car). There are a lot of place that many people park their cars and put signs on them because they are in an area where they are more visible. This is something that will get you a ticket in many areas of Lodi and Stockton.

• posted at 3:29 am on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

Lodian- There is NO scientific evidence to support the biological concept of race. The concept of race appears to have two proponents:1) Xenophobes2) Anti-Dentites2) Liberals Personally, I do not make financial decisions based on alleged race that is self-identified.Ron Karenga the man who invented Kwanzaa, spent 4 years in prison for forceable rape, false imprisonment, mayhem and torture of two self-described "Black" women followers. He beat one with an electrical cord and placed a burning soldering iron into the mouth of the other and raped them. He did other acts that can not be described.After "Karenga" left prison, he became a Marxist. He invented the concept of Nguzo Saba which is a collectivist celebration. He later renamed this Kwanzaa and set the start date after traditional Christmas day celebrations. December 26 of each year.For more objective details--see the now unclassified FBI report 68F.http://www.governmentattic.org/docs/FBI_Monograph_US_April-1968.pdf3) "During the early years of Kwanzaa, Karenga said that it was meant to be an alternative to Christmas, that "Jesus was psychotic", and that Christianity was a white religion that blacks should shun"--Prof Jed Levine

• posted at 3:26 am on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

Lodijoe-So not true. DMV didn't do that in my case. I rolled the dice for 1.5 years without insurance or a current tag for the car. All and I kept my license the entire time. When I had the money I went online to geico.com, purchased insurance, then went to DMV right here in Lodi, payed the back fees and penalty and was legal within about 2 hours. No suspeneded DL.

• posted at 3:12 am on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

Life is all about CHOICES. Make bad ones and you deal with the consequences. If they went to court regarding their license it wasn't about not paying their insurance. The insurance company notifies DMV when you don't pay and DMV will suspend your license. It does NOT require a court appearance so these people were in court for driving violations and knew they were driving illegally. Make better CHOICES next time.

• posted at 1:53 am on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

1422 ~ $400 fine for parking your car and having a "For Sale" sign? That's crazy!

• posted at 1:28 am on Mon, Dec 14, 2009.

Get out of your houses guys. In Lodi I can buy a car without a license and yes I can also get car insurance without a valid license. I had a similar experience. My ex quit paying child support so I put my other car up for sell. Got a $400+ ticket for it being parked with a for sell sign. I went to court to arrange for payments then I lost my job. No job no child support and my unemployment check was more then the allowed amount for AFDC. I thought making sure my kids were fed and a roof over their head- so my licence was suspended for not paying the tickect. My mom paid my car insurance that did show that I did not have a valid lisence so that I could find a job. Not everyone with suspended is for DUI.

• posted at 2:33 pm on Sun, Dec 13, 2009.

T&C your an Idiot! people have to work and support there familys with or without a license they have to get to work.

• posted at 7:35 am on Sun, Dec 13, 2009.

edumacation: Do you often get called a bigot and a racist in your real life?

• posted at 6:45 am on Sun, Dec 13, 2009.

Lodian- Well and happy Kwanzaa to you as well! and a very healthy and prosperous Nuevo Ano.As for my family, we are celebrating a holiday for Ronald McKenley Everett AKA Maulana Karenga. OOps we are celebrating the same holiday! Well cheers!, as we strive for Umoja and Kujichagulia with our Ujamaa to restore our people to Nia.

• posted at 5:01 am on Sun, Dec 13, 2009.

Marissa3785 wrote on Dec 10, 2009 7:21 PM:" I am thankful that the ofice only impounded my car for the remainder of the day and not 30 days like everyone elses. However my heart goes out to all the other people who have to pay 1650.00 to get their vehicles back and plus all the new court fees...It almost seems predatory.... "SOLUTION:OBEY THE LAW!

• posted at 5:00 am on Sun, Dec 13, 2009.

Marissa3785 wrote on Dec 10, 2009 7:17 PM: This was horrible "STING" that you guys did to all of these people."EXCUSE ME? These idiots "KNEW BETTER" then to get behind the wheel of their car without License & Insurance! They pose a "Liability risk to every car around them. Shame on you for supporting people who choose to drive with a suspended license!

• posted at 6:46 pm on Fri, Dec 11, 2009.

eduma wrote "I only have two names on my birf certificate and he [Obama] has six?"You are really running out of steam and material, as that's pretty darn lame. Oh, and if you have issues with saying "Happy Kwanzaa" then don't say it.

• posted at 6:28 pm on Fri, Dec 11, 2009.

edumacation: Do you often get called a bigot and a racist in your real life?

• posted at 3:01 pm on Fri, Dec 11, 2009.

Lodian- Say what? Well Obongo sure fooled you! How many quotes of his do you need? Lets see- We can start with "...stopping this Bush and Cheney war in Afghanistan..." I forgot, 6,000 American fighters sent in last February and another 36,000 troops next month.What about all of "Bushs banker buddies"? Now they are Obongos banker buddies! It doesn't matter---when he lights up the Holy kinara black green and red candles wearing his Dashiki and Kufi, I wonder if the first lady and her daughters will were the Bou Bou?I guess they say "Kikombe cha Umoja" in the streets of Chicago, I mean Hawaii, I mean Indonesia, Uh..er...Kenya? You explain it. I only have two names on my birf certificate and he has six?

• posted at 1:13 pm on Fri, Dec 11, 2009.

Marissa3785-Not that it matters but...Your "friend" missed a payment to the county and THE STATE suspended his license? AND he had a headlight out, AND he had no proof of Insurance "on him", AND he didn't know his license was suspended, and, and, and....You kinda seeing where I'm going with this? Sometimes you make your own luck, good and bad.

• posted at 12:16 pm on Fri, Dec 11, 2009.

LodiFreeThinker wrote on Dec 10, 2009 4:27 PM:" Sigh... it seems, here on the LNS Reader Feedback section, that every issue... is a race/class/religion issue.The article didn't say why they lost they licenses.The article didn't mention any personal information about the drivers.Why then, is nearly every comment about illegal immigrants?Rinse and repeat for just about every story here... "Considering the number of comments compared to the number mentioning "illegal aliens", I think you don't know how to count.But considering your concern, maybe you should try a country where it's citizens are not concerned with ending it's more critical problems. For the San Joaquin County area, illegals create a large problem on our infrastructure, and our safety. Whether you want to admit it or not

• posted at 4:07 pm on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

Answer to Gray Cloud: I live in Monument Valley AZ.

• posted at 3:12 pm on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

edumacation: You're not fooling anyone.

• posted at 2:51 pm on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

By the time the victim that I know got pulled over the officer had told him that they had already pulled over 7 of other people....

• posted at 2:23 pm on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

Lodian--I think I found the documented reference that you require?http://tinyurl.com/ykn9qb8This is dejavu! The Andrews sisters singing about our President before his father was born!Bongo bongo bongo I don't want to leave the Congo no no no ---Here is one from Louis Prima. I think its the first ladies favorite?

• posted at 2:10 pm on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

Lodian- I have never met Aimee, I am sure she is a an honest person and most likely is NOT a communist!Obongo-- That is the name that Ms. Nancy Pelosi used when first hearing about his name as a candidate for POTUS.I speculate that she was confusing the names of M.P. Mr. Dhano Obongo of the Jonglei Traditional Assembly of the Sudan ands the Chicago street organizer Barry Hossein Sotelo Obama.Could that explain it?Liberals were never known for their intelligence or knowledge, only their guilt and fear.

• posted at 1:21 pm on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

I am thankful that the ofice only impounded my car for the remainder of the day and not 30 days like everyone elses. However my heart goes out to all the other people who have to pay 1650.00 to get their vehicles back and plus all the new court fees... It almost seems predatory....

• posted at 1:19 pm on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

LOL i got my license suspended, I parked right across the street from the court house then drove home. drove to oakland at leat 3-4 times a week, drove around town and to and from work. really who doesnt drive after losing there license.I had insurance when i had no license. i have my license back now

• posted at 1:17 pm on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

Layla,Yes we are talking about the same person, The one who had to take out my childs car seat on Locust street. He was pulled over for the head light being out and at that time was told that he had a suspended license not even knowing that he did have one. We did not receive notification in the mail that his license was suspended. You posted this stating he did not have insurance which was not the case, he just did not have it on him and needed to bring proof that he had it and will have to do again now. This was horrible "STING" that you guys did to all of these people. I think that the people who are reckless drivers may have deserved this for again breaking the law but not the people who received suspended licenses for not breaking the law and just defaulting on payments. Especially at Christmas time. Most of these people might not get their cars back and I had to pay 100.00 to the police station and 200.00 to the tow yard for having my car in for one day.

• posted at 1:00 pm on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

Nice job, LPD.

• posted at 12:54 pm on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

Aimee wrote on Dec 10, 2009 12:27 PM:"edu: "Obongo"...LOL."Laughing with your racist friend I see.

• posted at 12:33 pm on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

No, I live in the Lodi area but my family all lives in Yakima past the Sun Lakes. Where are you ??

• posted at 12:00 pm on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

"Marissa: If something is incorrect, I always like to know so I can fix it in the online version and publish a correction in the print version. I assume you're referring to the person I talked to on Locust Street. If you could e-mail me something to confirm that, such as the kind of car (which I didn't publish), I can double-check the citation.If that's the car you're referring to, I heard no mention of a headlight when he was pulled over. The drivers stopped in this sting were all pulled over because they were seen driving away from court after having their licenses suspended. If they had no insurance, that came up after they were already stopped. I hope that helps clarify things.

• posted at 11:56 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

flames_fan wrote on Dec 10, 2009 4:18 PM:" hey T&C you seem to have something to say about everything.Well, you sound like you are having a few problems yourself. Its sad that a forum designed to allow bloggers to express their views allows someone like you to make a fuss over bloggers commenting on a particular story. How long has this been troubling you flames_fan?Merry Christmas to ya anyways!

• posted at 11:52 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

I would like the interviewer to inquire as to how the owner of the Corvette manged to register it without proof of insurance.These clowns are little more than a pimple on the backside of society. I'd like to see more stings like this in the future. I'm sick of people who have no respect for our laws or others who will be injured and financially damaged when they cause a wreck. Kick all these SOB's off a cliff, please.

• posted at 11:51 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

I was 20 when the drunk driver hit me head on going 80! I left the hospital, 8 months later, barely able to walk! The last thing I was worried about at that times was if he was insured! I only found out the driver info, months later.Merry Christmas dogs4you!

• posted at 11:40 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

LodiFreeThinker wrote on Dec 10, 2009 4:30 PM:Is your point that the police should be spending more or less time pulling over blacks and hispanics? Chuckle....

• posted at 11:29 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

Gray cloud--if you are out there do you live in the Jackson area ??

• posted at 11:26 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

Okay, it would be nice for reporters to report corret information, He was insured on the car he was driving just did not have the proof with him, the reason why he was pulled over was because the headlight went out on the car, how can you pull someone over that does not have insurance, you must be a mind reader. Right? It would have to be because they were doing something illegal or something was wrong with the car. The reason why his license was suspended was becasue he defaulted on a payment to the county but that is what happens when you are in between jobs.He hasn't had a ticket that was for breaking the law in 3 years and still keeps ending up in court becasue of cirrcumstances like this.

• posted at 10:30 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

veryconcerned1 wrote:"90% of our prisons are filled with Hispanic's or Blacks. Wake up People."Is your point that the police should be spending more or less time pulling over blacks and hispanics? I'm confused?

• posted at 10:27 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

• posted at 10:18 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

hey T&C you seem to have something to say about everything why not put your money were your mouth is and run for city council.....................oh I know why your a nut that just like to run his mouth. This is a waste of taxpayer money to do this, the city needs to install the water meter now, start pulling the morons over with tags that are expired im sure you know of that T&C, and cite them and tow them. I bet if they did that the city could make well over 100k in city limits alone.

• posted at 7:57 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

It’s real simple no matter who you are, no license no insurance you don’t drive. If you dothey should impound your car and then sell it. As far as stopping illegal’s Sherriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa Arizona got a warning from the department of Homeland securityto stop his harassment of illegal’s. He said hell no I don’t work for the Fed’s.. I t won’tBelong before all police departments are told the same..

• posted at 6:27 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

edu: "Obongo"...LOL.

• posted at 6:26 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

I hope that our Lodi Police Department spends the same amount of time stopping illegal aliens, gang appearing youths and adults as they do setting up people that are trying to pay their fines and work for a living. 90% of our prisons are filled with Hispanic's or Blacks. Wake up People.

• posted at 5:46 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

Ordinarycitizen- So you also got a "benefit" from our illegal aliens? And Obongo wants to give them amnesty and open the borders to any thief, rapist, murderer or drug dealer...as long as they have a politically correct heritage. Most are are outcasts from Mexico, where hard working and loyal Mexicans are tired of paying their bills and handing them freebies.These selfish Mexican squatters now want to squat here under the liberal idea of "political correctness" (they are only "looking for work").That pain from Mexico is now our pain! We can't afford to babysit, house, feed, educate, free medical benefits, and clothe them while they whine...."...Me want more.." Lets send them back.

• posted at 5:37 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

T&C, while the cost of installing a water is high now, just think of the cost 10-15 years from now, maybe twice as much. Better to get it done now.I witnessed a young girl crash her car into a parked pick-up. She was drunk on her azz, it would be interesting to see what kind of defence her lawyer will come up with, if any. She was crying and screaming as she was loaded into the back of an AMR of her way to the hospital, blood will be drawn, without a doubt.

• posted at 5:34 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

My wife's car was slammed into and totaled by a car with no brakes. None of the three men in the car had a license, insurance nor was the car registered. The great ending to the story is that they were following an employee of the EDD to some potential job sites. The police officer told them their car would have to be impounded. "No Problemo...eet no estop"

• posted at 5:25 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

This isn't a joke. I, too, was hit and injured by an unisured motorist - he not only wasn't insured, he had no valid DL, the car wasn't even his, the car wasn't registered, and he was an illegal. The guy's car was towed, he was cited and the cop said that his field worker boss would hide him 'underground' until this 'whole thing blows over.' The cop gave him a citation but told me that the then 19 yr old would never show up to court. I have been in chronic neck pain since 2002 when I was hit by him. When people break the law, no matter how stupid it may seem to some, it costs. It costs insured motorists more in premiums, it costs people like me a life time of pain, and some it has caused a life time of grief and sorrow because their innocent loved ones were killed. When people do wrong things, it does cost. And Warren, even though you do have your DL, you should care because it's costing you too, in your insurance premiums as well.

• posted at 4:19 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

The problem with this is that, automatic 10 days in jail for driving on a suspended.... They serve 4 and you and I pay their room and board.... They will go out and drive again out of necessity...

• posted at 3:32 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

Gator- I also hate the scum sucking ambulance chasing lawyers. But I have an idea to shut them down. It would be simple. Change California law to require that in absence of fraud or other illegal acts as defined, all LEGITIMATE claims must be paid, honestly and fairly and there would be CRIMINAL sanctions for not abiding by the law. The ambulance chasers would be out of work in one day. I would also increase penalties for ANY insurance fraud. In Texas, a claims examiner can go to prison for LYING about a claim. In California, only false statements or fraud by the CLAIMANT or witnesses are illegal. Name one claims adjuster who has gone to prison for lying about a legitimate claim.

• posted at 3:17 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

continued. If the insured in this case is upset that the medical bills of the injured were NOT reimbursed, they have NO cause of action. This is an auto liability coverage ONLY. If the injured parties file a lawsuit against the insured, they must either fight the case in court, or make some type of settlement agreement NOT TO SUE the insured. The only issue is liability for the INSURED to policy limits. If the insurance company fails this legal contractual obligation, it becomes one more of the tens of thousands of BAD FAITH claims against insurers.I ask you a second question. If you drive a vehicle, and you own any property, how much is YOUR auto insurance coverage? This is a loaded question, because few mortgage companies require that you have liability insurance to cover the mortgage. They usually only require fire and flood insurance. Look at your policy! I bet its no more than 50/100/50? Anyone who owes a mortgage should have enough auto liability insurance to cover all debts, but few people have enough insurance. Why? The carriers don't want the risk.

• posted at 3:17 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

Well said Joe!!!!!!

• posted at 3:16 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

You left out a key player. The Trial attorney. That person can and will tie up any andall assets present and future. John Edwards is a classic blood sucker. We have onehere in Boise, “One Call That’s all!!” You run with out insurance at your peril. ICarry a 2.5 million dollar Umbrella policy which protects all our assets..

• posted at 3:07 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

Your California Drivers License is issued to you as a privilege to drive a vehicle. There are certain conditions that go along with that privilege and I am sure most people know what they are. Just like all legal stipulations, break the law and you must endure the consequences. If you lose your drivers license it is most likely due to poor decisions you made. I have NO sympathy for unlicensed or uninsured motorist.

• posted at 2:53 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

L.E.F.L. Good advice! But I have a two important questions to ask you.Lets say a person has the legally required minimum auto insurance LIABILITY policy of 15/30/5---PER ACCIDENT. Agree?1) Is there ANY legal requirement in California law that REQUIRES that an auto insurance policy like this MUST BE PAID?I assure you that there is NO LAW that requires that an insurance company must pay a dime! The law ONLY requires that they investigate the CLAIM, not the accident. The law also requires that they provide a letter within x days that shows the claim is accepted or denied. The amount to be disbursed, if any, is up to the insurance company.If an insurance company pays only ten dollars on a DEATH claim beause of an auto accident with an insured vehicle, the claim is listed by the DOI as a "paid claim" on official statistics. These legally required policies are LIABILITY claims, not medical claims.If the insured is indigent, the insurance company LEGALLY only must protect the "assets" of the insured! Read this carefully! No assets ---no pay!

• posted at 2:13 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

I think it's unfortunate that some people (for whatever reason) can't have a driver's license. But if you HAVE to drive to work or to get somewhere else and you know you don't have a DL, AT LEAST have insurance. There's no reason for anyone to not have insurance. It's irresponsible and very inconsiderate to others.

• posted at 2:05 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

A drunk driver, under 21, with no license and no insurance hit the car I was riding in head on going 80 in 1974 north of Woodland. To this day I don't know why I wasn't killed! The drunk driver was killed!Cry me a river of tears for those without a drivers license who can't wait to get out of Court, give the finger to the judge and get back behind a wheel!

• posted at 2:02 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

warrenb1973 wrote on Dec 10, 2009 6:22 AM:" Thats just wrong... Cant the LPD find better things to do with all the problems in this town.To warrenb1973.... "Do your whining after an unlicensed, uninsured driver smashes into your car and injures you."If ya have your license suspended, don't drive. DUI's are often times related to a suspended drivers license. I applaud those who try to not drive once they have lost their license!

• posted at 1:59 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

This is a better way for the City of Lodi to increase revenue instead of "Forced water meter installation 15 years ahead of schedule!

• posted at 1:54 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

I am glad that they are doing this. I was hit by an unlicensed, uninsured motorist a few years back...it did $6000 in damage to my brand new car. Her excuse...I just got out of the hospital with west nile virus...I didn't renew my license...when CHP asked her when her renewal was due...she said "over a year ago!" Thank God I had uninsured motorist-it sucks that I have to pay for someone else's laziness on a monthly basis just to cover my butt from their mistakes!

• posted at 1:52 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

getting stupid people off the road is doing their job warren. if those clowns can't think to bring someone with a valid driver's license to take their car home, then too bad. jackasses.

• posted at 1:12 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

Im sure its nessecery just seems wrong not to let them at least get there cars home...lol.i dont care i have my license.

• posted at 12:56 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

Warrenb1973 - This is not a joke. Usually people with suspended licenses also do not have insurance. The insurance company usually will drop a driver when the license is suspended. I know this since I was hit head on by a driver who had a suspended license and was dropped by there insurance because of this. The driver who hit me had her license suspended because she was on her 4th DUI. She was also drunk when she hit me head. I was hospitalized because of the severe impact and have had trouble with my back ever since the accident. I had to pay my uninsured drivers deductible, which I should get back (it has been 19 years) when the women pays the $200.00 to my insurance company. Thank god I am responsible and carry uninsured motorist on my policy. I think if you went through half of what I did, the last thing you would think is this is a joke. What is a joke is that the women that hit me had just driven away from court that morning in her own car. She also admited she was drinking before and after court.

• posted at 12:42 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

What about the used car lots around the East side of town that state, No Licencia, No Problema?Cars are being sold with no licensed driver present?

• posted at 12:38 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

I think it is a good thing. Stupid people, they never learn.

• posted at 12:35 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

What's wrong with it Warren?

• posted at 12:22 am on Thu, Dec 10, 2009.

Thats just wrong... Cant the LPD find better things to do with all the problems in this town,seriosly.....What a joke.