My life without a car

Posted: Friday, June 6, 2008 10:00 pm

I stand on Sacramento Street in Lodi with my thumb outstretched, trying to hitch a ride home. Two dozen cars pass me by. No one even slows. One driver sticks his thumb right back at me.

It's only 15 minutes. But this desperate and lonely experience stays with me.

• posted at 5:06 pm on Mon, Jun 9, 2008.

Part 2Let me respell that I just got off a 12 hour shift myself and had a few mispellings. "I am very thankful the cab driver works 4 pm to 3 am because he keeps our roads safe and keeps alot of drunks off the road. Can you beleive that! He probably saves more lives daily, and gets no reward at all. That is ridiculous. "GO KEITH!

• posted at 5:01 pm on Mon, Jun 9, 2008.

I was not very impressed with this article. I was born in lodi, and lived there on and off throught the years, so I like to see what is going on in my hometown. I read this article and thought it was very rediculous. First of all why would you encourage hitchhiking with todays world,that is horrible, someone could get kidnapped. Also usually when people have no car they plan there week out ahead of time, and get a bus schedule, etc. I feel like the cab driver should get a break here, he may charge more but it is for the entire car load, not per person, and he should also get funding from the city so he can afford all his expenses etc. I am very thankful he does work 4 pm to 3 am because he keeps our roads safe and keeps alot of drunks off the road. Can you beleive that! He probably saves more lives daily, and gets not reward at all. That is rediculous.

• posted at 3:53 am on Mon, Jun 9, 2008.

I have to say thanks to our South County Transit system in Galt. It has such a small, limited route that I actually got out of jury duty a week ago because there is no public transportation available from Galt to the courthouse. The judge did not believe me and excused the jury room to verify. He came back after a few minutes and excused me from jury service due to no public transportation.

• posted at 12:05 pm on Sun, Jun 8, 2008.

welcome to the real world Chris. Welcome to Lodi.

• posted at 11:51 am on Sun, Jun 8, 2008.

WTF...you are correct. He looks exactly like Jimmy Olsen. Really funny.

• posted at 7:42 am on Sun, Jun 8, 2008.

You were critical of the cab smelling of smoke (you can thank the majority of the passengers for that) and complained about the price of the fare, but you neglected to mention that it's the same price whether there's 1 passenger or 4. So if there were 4 passengers it would've only been $3 per person (do the math!). Pretty cheap transportation in my opinion. If you're going to report a story, include all of the facts.

• posted at 5:37 pm on Sat, Jun 7, 2008.

I was born in Lodi and have lived there on and off during my life. I no longer live there but like to keep up on what is going on so I read the Sentinel online. I wanted to add to this story because when I lived there I worked nights and I do not drive at night. If it was not for City Cab I would have never made it to work. Their cabs were ALWAYS very clean and the drivers were always on time. I was never late for work! The cost of the cab was very reasonable. By the time you pay for gas, insurance and maintenance on a car it is not much different. I miss having my evening chats with the always friendly drivers of City Cab!

• posted at 2:12 pm on Sat, Jun 7, 2008.

You complained about the cost of the cab fare, but what about the convenience of not having to call a day in advance, or the worry about having the correct change? Not to mention the service he provides in keeping drunk drivers off the streets. And I know for a fact that they haven't raised their fares in years, even though the price of gas alone has gone up 70% since January 1st. I'm 100% for the independent and, besides, Keith's a hell of a nice guy!

• posted at 12:12 pm on Sat, Jun 7, 2008.

Is it just me or does our very own Chris Nicols of the Lodi News Sentinel strongly resemble Jimmy Olsen of the Daily Planet?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:JimmyOlsen01.png

• posted at 10:22 am on Sat, Jun 7, 2008.

Well I am for the little guy. The taxi. Dial A Ride has the gov. backing them. It is hard to compete and make an honest living, I am sure. The cab is open all thru the nights, when others are closed. Helping police and the bars. Keeping the drunks off of our streets. I would rather take the cab then city/gov. trans. The cab charges per ride. So our family rides for one price. Much cheaper then city trans. By the time one has a car payment, ins. & gas, I am sure the figure of 54 cents per mile is NOT accurate. Lodi is a click & always will be.

• posted at 9:41 am on Sat, Jun 7, 2008.

But why so much time in Galt? With all these front page Galt headlines constantly in the Sentinel, Marty and Rich should just pony up some cash for a little satellite office there.

• posted at 9:37 am on Sat, Jun 7, 2008.

Chris, I really liked that article and you had the advantage of being paid while experiencing your adventures. Now you know how those less fortunate cope with just one negative aspect of life, not to mention common everyday trips that many of us take for granted. Well written article.

• posted at 6:38 am on Sat, Jun 7, 2008.

Good advice about hitchhiking on Sacramento Street. It's improved somewhat over the years, but there are still some shady characters around there. I feel sorry for law-abiding folks who have no choice but to walk down that street.

• posted at 5:30 am on Sat, Jun 7, 2008.

Grapeline Makes a huge Profit by not giving passenger's change! A disabled or senior who has $1.00 bill and no change, pays Full fare! The Change Machine at the greyhound bus station has been out of service for years! Unable to make change also is profitable when a passenger has a $5.00 and no one's! The bus office SHOULD provide change to paying customers, not take more then the bus fare rate!

• posted at 5:27 am on Sat, Jun 7, 2008.

Fail to MAKE a reservation with GrapeLine Dial-a-ride service and it will cost you $10.00 PER PERSON! Taxi's are not the only HIGH priced transportation in Lodi! Taxi's do not charge $10.00 a person!

• posted at 5:24 am on Sat, Jun 7, 2008.

As the per barrel of oil moves closer and closer to $200.00 a barrel, gas will rise to $10.00 a gallon! How many people who commute can afford $10.00 a gallon? How can anyone sustain $10.00 a gallon? America is being brought to her knees not thru terror attacks, or war, but thru Middle east Oil, and Oil company greed!

• posted at 3:23 am on Sat, Jun 7, 2008.

Knowing what you're paid by your employer, that 10 dollar dial-a-ride must've set you back quite a ways, young man. LOL