Man arraigned on murder charge in Lodi grad Diego Chavira's death

Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:00 pm

As family members of a Lodi High School graduate Diego Chavira made plans Wednesday for his funeral, a Stockton man was charged with murder and other felonies that could send him to prison for life.

Gabriel Olivarez, 28, did not enter a plea during the court appearance, because a judge has to appoint an outside attorney to represent him. He will return to court Friday.

• posted at 4:52 am on Sun, Apr 19, 2009.

citizen really? you don't even know how hard its been for him but ok whatever, you know just hmm pure ignorance

• posted at 4:24 am on Sun, Apr 19, 2009.

GetReal can't you read.I wanna kno why the Chavira's were out there.And f that woman is no good, why did Diego and his family even kno someone like that?And how do u kno she has a child?Who is this woman?How do u know all of this.Sounds to me like u need to be questioned for your involvement?u can play innocent but it sounds 2 me like u kno a heck of alot about this case.Sounds like u were there that nite.U sure know alot about this woman.If this started over her, what is she to the Chaviras.Why would they even care about a person like this.And why would you say her child needs to grow up with love of a community not the love of a gang.Was the mother involved in some sort of gang activity?And if so you would think the Chavira's would not associate with such a person.Perhaps I'm making assumptions but that is all I have to go on. Unlike you I'm not involved in any of this illegal activity.

• posted at 6:39 pm on Sat, Apr 18, 2009.

fatyahmel You know why they were out there...dont forget they were sent. The instigator woman sent these cowards. Diego was an innocent boy, this was not a gunfight at the OK corral, these cowards arrived with guns and used them - the Chavira's did not have weapons. This instigator KNEW Diego - I hope she wallows in deep anguish and that she is arrested soon for being the ring leader. Maybe her child will know the opportunity to have the love a community instead of the love of a gang - like sweet Diego.

• posted at 5:35 pm on Sat, Apr 18, 2009.

Well dshadow if you are a family friend then you must be a real winner. Lets all take the word of a family friend of the piece of trash with 10 felonies on his record. RIGHT.

• posted at 2:09 pm on Sat, Apr 18, 2009.

GABRIEL IS INNOCENT!!!He did not do this.Tell me Y all the comments after the articles I read seem to kno more than the police know.And those with the most info, know not the suspects, but the victems.Has anyone who is commenting on this site been questioned by the authorities?Because it seems that those commenting have a lot of information.Gabriel has family.They are worried their son might get life or the death penalty for a crime he didn't commit.and from reading the article above it sounds like the family knew the brothers were going out there for a reason that could be dangerous.Why would the mother automatically think it was one of her son's being shot, when she heard the gunshots (see 4/18 article)?And Y did Alex Chavira ask the police if it was his older brother lying on the ground?That eliminates Diego and Efrin, thus that means the other brother Nelson was also there?Y would all 3 boys be out on a street known for drugs, gangs and violence at 2am?What were they expecting to happen?Why put your little brother in the middle of something he is and wasn't ever a part of?I'm looking 4 the truth

• posted at 8:20 pm on Fri, Apr 17, 2009.

ok all of you who have commented i would like to know why no one gives sympathy to the olivarez family? ok i understand that there relative that me be son, uncle, or brother, may be SUSPECTED of murdering diego chivara and injuring his brother but you have to think that they know gabriel better than anyone and his neighbors as well. so if they say he isn't a coward or murderer or any of that you gotta take their word in consideration also this guy if charged will get 25-life or even death penalty What will happen if he gets death penalty, they follow through and a week later cops find out it was someone else what then??? huh? it won't bring his life back either. right now i understand everyone is completely crushed by what has happened to this young man diego but no one has any idea what tragedies have happened to the olivarez family and i only know because i have been a family friend for years so please my regards to the chivara family but they have the wrong suspect.

• posted at 3:33 pm on Fri, Apr 17, 2009.

To finish where I left off:Also "Get Real says and I quote in one of their comments regarding the suspects and female "SHE MUST BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE - Nothing less than Life in Prison for her - and better yet the Death Pealty for all the shooters, all the passengers in the cars and for the monster of a woman”. Wow how do they know so much? Shooters (plural, y is it plural? I thought just Gabriel was the shooter? According to all of your comments).Also passengers? What do you mean passengers and cars what is this? How do you know all this? “Galt Mom” are you listening? No I’m not pointing fingers. I’m looking for the truth. There is one thing I know Gabriel is No Coward. He didn’t shoot Diego or his brother.This is America and everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Gabriel is not a monster contrary to what any of you think.

• posted at 3:31 pm on Fri, Apr 17, 2009.

I have read many comments saying great things about Diego. I’m just curious why nothing is said about the sibling he was with that night. Is it because Diego was out at 2am because of him. No one has anything to say about him. It is as if Diego was out alone that night. Something else I find strange is the fact that some of the people commenting sound like they have first hand knowledge of the situation. For example, "rmf" who says they knew Diego, says a phone call was made by a female. Was that what this was about? if so y haven't the police talked to any of the people commenting on this site who know Diego. And thru your comments you give crumbs of what happend or what you think happend. I know Gabriel, yet I haven‘t any idea of the events surrounding this situation nor the situation itself. Also "Get Real says and I quote in one of their comments regarding the suspects and female "SHE MUST BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE - Nothing less than Life in Prison for her - and better yet the Death Pealty

• posted at 5:28 am on Fri, Apr 17, 2009.

HI AUDREY..I AM READING THE COMMENTS AND IT SEEMS LIKE U MIGHT KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND ELVIA ? I AM JUST WANTED TO GET IN TOUCH WITH HER TO LET HER KNOW I AM HERE IF I CAN DO SOMTHING FOR HER!!I WORKED WITH HER FOR A LONG TIME AT VW...I KNOW WHERE SHE LIVE AND HAVE HER NUMBER BUT I HAVE HAD NO LUCK..COULD U PLEASE EMAIL ME...cedeno.angelina@yahoo.comTHANK YOU LATICIA

• posted at 2:43 pm on Thu, Apr 16, 2009.

To anyone wanting to make contributions to Diego's family....there is a memorial fund set up at F&M bank in Diego's name as well as making a donation at the baseball game on saturday morning. Thanks to everyone for showing their support to his friends and family. We all love you Diego.

• posted at 1:30 pm on Thu, Apr 16, 2009.

TO imthtchic2: I am assuming you are friends with the monster who took Diego's life. I do not feel sorry for him. he made a decision and that decision took away the life of a outstanding son, brother , and friend. now he will have to deal with the decision he has made. he made his bed now he can lie in it. i do not see what you see in him. so again i am sorry. he deserves nothing less then the death penalty. an eye for an eye as the bible says. you will not get sympathy from Diego's family and or friends.

• posted at 12:52 pm on Thu, Apr 16, 2009.

This is definately a very tragic loss & my heart & prayers go out to the Chavira Family and Friends. I can't even imagine the loss of losing my children under any circumstances ! I also would like to say that i do know Mr.Gabriel Olivarez , I know him as a wonderful person ,a sweet ,fun ,loving ,respectful guy just trying to make it right in life!! This is also a tragedy for Gabriel an The Olivarez family & my love ,heart and prayers are with Gabriel also !! Unfortunately whatever the outcome of this situation we all have some great loss and pain to feel. Its just so unfortunate...

• posted at 8:31 am on Thu, Apr 16, 2009.

I use to work with Diego's Mother as well and I am trying to locate her, I would like to give her all the support that I can. It saddens me to see this happen to such a young and good boy. I have children myself and I can't even Imagine what Elvia is going through.Elvia (soy Kathy de VW) te estimo mucho y pronto te voy a ver, te queiro ayudar con lo que puedo pero mas estar en tulado en este momento tan deloroso. Que Dios te ayuda estar FUERTE! Diego esta en los manos de Dios, siente unpoco de paz con eso.Much love and respect to the family.... may God bless the family and friends and help everyone get passed this.

• posted at 4:29 am on Thu, Apr 16, 2009.

i worked with diego mom for a long time...i just wanted to tell her my thoughts are with her..and she is in my prayers...i will not be able to go on saturday but i would like to donate to help with furneal cost..how can i do that..thanks laticia

• posted at 3:33 am on Thu, Apr 16, 2009.

TO EVERYONE WHO KNEW DIEGO, or knows of this tragic story, PLEASE join us for one last baseball game played in his memory. MICKEY GROVE PARK, SATURDAY, APRIL 18, 2009 @ 10:00AM. Donations are strongly encouraged, as every little bit will help his family. All proceeds will be given to the Chavira Family.- God Bless.

• posted at 3:00 am on Thu, Apr 16, 2009.

My heart goes out to Diego's mom and brothers. I was a neighbor of theirs when his father died suddenly. Diego has always been a loving fun kid. I just knew he was going someplace. I am saddend to hear that his brother was also a victim. this family has had enough pain and sorrow for one life time. hopefully the scum bag who took Diego's life will get life but more importantly death. Diego was a great kid who had so much to do in life. he will be missed.