Although the campaigns for president, Congress and state Legislature take the limelight, local residents have the opportunity to run for offices that have a direct effect on the community.
Do you have an interest in how schools in Lodi and nearby communities are run? How about the small, rural fire districts in the area? Domestic and irrigation water? Issues that directly affect communities like Lockeford, Clements, Woodbridge and Thornton?
Residents have until 5 p.m. Aug. 10 to file for local board seats on the November ballot. In any district where an incumbent doesn't file by Aug. 10, the filing period will be extended until Aug. 15.
Here's a rundown of seats in northern San Joaquin County, along with the incumbents whose terms will expire at the end of 2012. All are four-year terms unless stated otherwise.
- Woodbridge Municipal Advisory Council: Charles Stocker, Doug Field, Tasso Kandris, Mary Avanti.
- Morada Municipal Advisory Council: Kurt Cooper, Danny Nunes, Sharon Stewart.
- Lockeford Municipal Advisory Council: Robert Marty, Jordi Domenech, Lani Eklund, Joe Sublett.
- Thornton Municipal Advisory Council: Cindy Chumbley, Kristine Honer, Mike Stokes (four years); vacant seat (two-year unexpired term).
- Lodi Unified School District (Lodi area, North Stockton): Ralph Milton Womack, trustee area 2; Michael Abdallah, trustee area 6; Joe Nava, trustee area 7.
- New Hope School District (Thornton): Jose Luis Torres.
- Oak View School District (eastern Acampo): Greg Rausser, Stanley Seifert.
Water, sewer, parks
- Lockeford Community Services District: Gary Gordon, David Rowe; David McAnelly (two-year unexpired term).
- Woodbridge Irrigation District (Woodbridge, Thornton, unincorporated areas west of Lodi): Avery McQueen, Eddie Lucchesi.
- North San Joaquin Water Conservation District (east Lodi, Lockeford, Clements, Acampo): Joe Petersen, Joe Valente.
- Woodbridge Sanitary District (sewer, garbage rates): Harold Rohrbach, Willie Nelson.
- Clements Rural Fire Protection District: Ray Engel, Russell Cobb, William Henderson.
- Liberty Rural County Fire Protection District (eastern Acampo): William Ward, Robert Erman.
- Mokelumne Rural Fire Protection District (Lockeford and Victor): Bernie Mettler, Mike Young.
- Waterloo-Morada Rural Fire Protection District (Morada, areas south of Morada): Clayton Titus, William Snyder (four years); Marc Youngblood (two-year unexpired term).
- Woodbridge Rural County Fire Protection District (Woodbridge, Flag City, Terminous, unincorporated area west and south of Lodi): Michael Manassero, Michael Manna.
Anyone interested in serving on any of these boards may contact the San Joaquin County Registrar of Voters at 209-468-3191.
Contact reporter Ross Farrow at firstname.lastname@example.org.