Hitchcock blasts council's vote

Posted: Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:00 pm

Calling it a vote that could kill the city's greenbelt plans, Lodi City Councilwoman Susan Hitchcock blasted her fellow council members Wednesday night for their approval of an environmental review contract for a proposed Harney Lane medical and retail complex.

Hitchcock, who has long and forcefully campaigned for a community separator between Lodi and Stockton, said just before the 4-1 vote that she has lost faith in the rest of the council to limit growth south of the city.

• posted at 1:01 pm on Thu, Aug 14, 2008.

Give me a break. If you don't own the property you have no say on what happens to it. PERIOD.

• posted at 12:49 pm on Thu, Aug 14, 2008.

" Morada is county not Stockton. They have their own CSD I believe."Exactly !And there is no "right" side or "wrong" side of Armstrong. Lodi's influence stops 1/2 mile south of Harney. We are 100% county. Lodi gets no say in what we do.

• posted at 6:28 am on Thu, Aug 14, 2008.

Morada is county not Stockton. They have their own CSD I believe. It is very unlikley that the county would allow and new viiage to set up between Stockton and Lodi. Micke Grove would like city sewer and they are hpoing Lodi will agree. They arent even chcking with Stockton since they know that would not work.

• posted at 5:44 am on Thu, Aug 14, 2008.

patton, check out Morada.

• posted at 4:42 am on Thu, Aug 14, 2008.

Sam, sewer would have to come from Lodi.A city doesnt provide sewer for areas outside of their town excepts in rare cases. You and Deide are on the wrog side of Armstrong road to get sewer from Stockton, sorry.

• posted at 3:55 am on Thu, Aug 14, 2008.

As stated by Sam.....the Munson's are a class act. Even to this date they work extremely hard. They are very "hands on" with their businesses and it is very likely you will see one of them at the restaurant or Wine & Roses. Keep up the good work Russ & Kathy.

• posted at 3:36 am on Thu, Aug 14, 2008.

Cogito, I was trying to find a way to explain how the encroachment of Lodi and Stockton affects our farming business.In your line of work, it would be like Lodi putting your "office" in the middle of the intersection of Ham Lane and Kettleman and then proceed to tell you "Don't mind us. We will stay out of your way".

• posted at 2:24 am on Thu, Aug 14, 2008.

Thanks Cogito.I also have to agree the the Munson family are a class act. Every project they take on turns out to be fantastic.

• posted at 2:22 am on Thu, Aug 14, 2008.

patton, I see Diede getting sewer from Stockton. They are closer.And I am not worried at all. I am already planning ahead for the inevitable.

• posted at 5:33 pm on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

TC, Tim Munson has the reputation of being one of the best, if not the best, builders in town.

• posted at 5:30 pm on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

Sam, it's disheartening to hear of sprawl taking away country lifestyles such as yours. It's inevitable, once the city buts up to your land, that you will no longer be able to live and farm the way you need to. I hope you get top dollar for having to give up your great lifestyle. It's the only trade off that seems fair.

• posted at 3:48 pm on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

Sam, Deide isnt go to rezone per se and their project is 5 years away if ever. The need for sewer will likely kill the project anyway. Your parcel would also need sewer so dont worry, you will get the chance to farm for a very long time.

• posted at 1:20 pm on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

Thanks T&C. But I have to be honest. I really like Russ and Kathy Munson. They are very nice people.If Diede gets his land changed from AG40 to commercial, I will follow suit and make my land commercial too. I have learned to pick my "team " well. I would not mind the Munson's on my team. I also have a great group from El Dorado Hills and LA interested.Hey, I see the writing on the wall. If I can't beat 'em, join them.

• posted at 9:21 am on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

Sure t&c.....you're in favor of protecting peoples property rights until they sell to a developer or want to put a Walmart on it. Then they're just one of the GOB. ROTFLMAO

• posted at 6:37 am on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

Sam, you know you can count me in and how I feel about anyone restricting anyone's right to use the same farming techniques no matter how close some developer and builder encroach your property line. I can spend hours watching the cropdusters at work and still do when they're out along DeVries and Davis off of Hwy.12. And you're right on about the ag land disappearing around the Wine&Roses. Have you noticed they built an 8 or 10 foot wall around what once was a beautiful, quaint bed&breakfast setting and now it's just turned into an overpriced motel with no view whatsoever. The Geweke's have built a beautiful Hampton Inn&Suites and with its great location and reputation will garner many of the tourists and overnighters. That ought to be quite a rivalry. My Canadian and Oregon visitors prefer the Holiday Inn on Cherokee but notice the neighborhood is really getting rundown and don't like the carlots everywhere, although the amenities and service are unbeatable. I see the Munsons in today's paper are building a new $468,000 4-plex and and the builder is Munson Const. Gee, I would've never guessed. Let the good times roll!

• posted at 6:13 am on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

It does get harder for sure. The people I feel sorry for are the farmers impacted by urbanization and yet unable to sell to developers themselves. That is the worst of both worlds.

• posted at 5:54 am on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

WY, thanks. I appreciate your support. You DO know how much we love our land.

• posted at 5:52 am on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

Patton, I actually had a neighbor (not a farmer) ask if we would please farm WITHOUT our tractors. She found the noise and the dirt unbearable. Now we have farmed this land for 75 plus years and she moves in next to us and does not like farming. She alreay complained to Precissi's. The sulfur planes scared her. We can no longer use them.Another neighbor calls the county every time we spray. We use very little chemicals, but can you see how hard it makes farming.

• posted at 5:51 am on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

And please patton, you think a wedding at Diede's new hotel would tolerate discing or spraying in the near by vineyards?Look at Wine and Roses. They were surrounded by vinyards. No More. That is what happens to vineyards when commercial moves in. It is not brain surgery, it is just a fact.

• posted at 5:50 am on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

and patton I am not even addressing the physical damage being done to our vineyards with the citizens moving closer and closer.

• posted at 5:49 am on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

Patton, I have a friend who farms that vineyard on Harney. He will disagree with you. He has citizens calling the cops on him because his tractor makes "too much noise".Also Micke Grove now requires that another friend cannot spray or dust after 5 am due to the park. When the new section opens, his restrictions will only get worse.

• posted at 5:40 am on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

Not true patton. One of my friends farming that land has had the cops stop him from farming because the people across the street think the tractor makes too much noise and too much dirt.

• posted at 5:24 am on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

Sam, i like most all of your posts but I have to call you on the pressure farming feels by development. All of the Ag on the south side of HArney has exsisted quite well only being 60 ft from housing and traffic. PArk west backs up to vineyard and that works also.Now I know it makes it harder but it seems to work ok.

• posted at 3:55 am on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

sam... That is so sad to me. I'm sorry this is happening. :(

• posted at 3:24 am on Wed, Aug 13, 2008.

Blue shield is a call center, Sutter is doctors group. How then does one affect the other? It doesnt. TC is just a loser. By the way, why would BS build a 20 acres campus to the tune of tens of millions of dollars only to abandon it in 10 years. They wouldnt of course.

• posted at 1:02 pm on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

Blue Shield will be going to India within the next 10 years. Count on that once Sutter Gould opens and establishes their own health care plan.

• posted at 12:21 pm on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

Patton said "ag mitigation is a sick joke." Well I will Amen that one.While I would love to farm forever, I can see the writing on the wall. If Diede's mega hotel/stores/ food/ etc goes in, it will be the end for us in the farming business. With the expansion of Micke Grove and RR , we are already feeling the crunch. I cannot even imagine once 1000 people start working at Blue Shield the kind of pressure we will feel. That stretch of Armstrong from 99 to West Lane will not be able to remain ag. That is a fact.

• posted at 11:35 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

Ask Sam if he would accept an conservation easment on his property? How much? I dont think so.Why should he, he is to close to urbanization.

• posted at 11:33 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

While it will be close, Bob by a nose.

• posted at 11:32 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

Thats how ag mitigation works. You could never ag mitigate closer since there will never be a willing seller. To me ag mitigation is a sick joke. Who are we punishing? If a city needs/wants to grow, why do we take other property and insure that develoopment will never occur? Lets face it, population coontinue to grow, we will be expanding our cities until the end of time.

• posted at 11:06 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

patton, designating Fisher's estate... a place that will never be developed anyway... as RR's mitigation is a bit deceitful, isn't it??That is like Spanos designating his home place or his golf course as ag mitigation.

• posted at 11:01 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

No contest, Joanne........my personal opinion.

• posted at 10:47 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

Question, who do you think will be the top vote getter? joanne or bob?

• posted at 9:13 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

How are the donations going from the medical people? I saw some familiar supporters names on the "BillyBob" supporter website.

• posted at 8:23 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

yes, I believe so.

• posted at 6:38 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

patton, I do have to agree with you on F&M. My F&M stock is doing just fine.

• posted at 6:37 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

patton, isn't RR's ag mitigation going to be Dave Fischer's (another developer) home place?

• posted at 6:07 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

Edumacation -try decaf. What are you talking about. FM isnt introuble because it owns a 5 acre piece. My goddness, thye have nothing but equity in that property.What 700 homes? What are you talking about.

• posted at 5:00 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

Again T&C, thank you for your concern. Unfortunately I don't own any bank stock. I wished I had purchased F&M stock 30 years ago when I was purchasing my properties. I would have made a fortune.

• posted at 4:47 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

To Patton1 922 post: That is my POINT. Thank you very much. ANY bank that spends it money--any money on vacant and UNPRODUCTIVE land, developers, construction loans, and anything having to do with REAL ESTATE, in any sector, is taking a BIG RISK.All banks need to immediately CALL BACK THEIR LOANS. They have many legal reasons including NON-PERFORMANCE. Where are the 700 plus houses that you were bragging about? The builders were approved for the loans, some of the money is gone. Now lets see where the money is? If its not going to REAL construction, it needs to go back to the lender. No One can afford to let any asset become NON-PRODUCTIVE, just to appease a the selfishness of a few 'Good ol Boyz'.

• posted at 4:27 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

Rear admiral and observer, you're awfullu defensive about F&M bank. Why is that? You said Bank of Lodi was here to stay, too, didn't you? And aren't you and your cohorts the ones that brought in all these fly by night bottom dwelling lenders, built those nice office buildings for them along Kettleman Lane, and now those buildings are nearly vacant and the lenders sold those loans to others and left town with your money. You got scammed like many others and now you're trying to invent new pyramid schemes to try to recoup some of your losses and your shoddy reputations.

• posted at 4:26 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

What I really dont understand is how a city with so little development or business of any kind can draw this much conspiratorial crap. Some of you may find this hard to believe, but Blue shield was approved because it is good for Lodi. Money didnt have to change hands for that.

• posted at 4:23 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

RR is going to get their ag mitigation from a partner who has land just north of Lodi. My guess is they need to have that before they pull a building permit. Again, not a big deal.

• posted at 4:22 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

Edumacation, great research on those Form 700's. I see most candidates are much less than truthful with their holdings and stashes they own under aka's and friends and relatives they openly boast about trying to impress one another with their pecking order power. It's a great day here in the bay, with the beautiful weather and not having to be to my meetings until 1PM each day. Last week was nice, too and not looking forward to coming back to the hot and polluted valley later this week. I've gained 5 pounds in the last 5 days and spent lots of time at our research convention and want to say I haven't missed the blogs much. They have real newspapers here, not some good ol' boys National Enquirer.

• posted at 4:22 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

FM owns the 5 acres of land across from wine and roses. So what! The own the dirt free and clear at a low cost. That is a great investment not a liability. Banks who are exposed to sub prime are at risk, FM doesnt do sub prime.

• posted at 4:05 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

I know Bob Johnson personally. I can assure you there are no "back room deals". What you see is what you get. Do you know Bob? Have you ever spoken with him? Thank you for being concerned but I will not have any property value losses. I've owned my properties for over 30 years and they are worth ten times what I paid for them, even at today's values.

• posted at 3:54 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

Observer, so you're saying they're absolutely minimal? How would you know if many are secret back door deals with the likes of developers with 5 or more different company names, shoddy retired real estate appraisers evaluating the property and back door deals you claim are just conspiracy. This financial and housing downturn has just begun and you bamboozlers are scheming for new ways to keep your losses down. You'll be stooping so low as to stealing pennies from one another 6 months from now. I'm still waiting for SLVLC to tell us where those 200 acres within 15 miles of Lodi are at that he was requred to set aside as a prerequisite to building all those HOMES there at Reynolds. Why is he building before showing us this 200 acre land purchase?

• posted at 3:46 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

I also see a sizable investment from 1998 with Waste Management. Is it acceptable that the ex-mayor should have voted to extend the new lucrative contracts and rate increases to a company he owns stock in? Why didn't he excuse himself from the vote for conflict of interest? Or did he?

• posted at 3:37 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

Edumacation, great link to ex-mayor Bob's supporters', looks like some of the lower echelon good ol' boys and their families were non conformists. Looks like a pretty complete list of the WASP network here in Lodi. ROFLMAO

• posted at 3:33 am on Tue, Aug 12, 2008.

F&M's investments in land deals are absolutely minimal compared to their portfolio. Every one of their land deals could fail and the overall impact would be a drop in the bucket. Bob Johnson's COI statement is unimpressive. Just a minimal amount of stock. His list of supporters is impressive. A number of local individuals who have been involved in the community for a number of years. A good cross-section as well.

• posted at 5:36 pm on Mon, Aug 11, 2008.

CONTD: Why do so-called "conservative" banks believe in the "tooth fairy" such as the GSE's. They are not going to save you! They are collapsing under the shear bloat of foolish underwriting (if any at all) and stupidity. Its time for "conservative" banks to restrict ALL loans especially for developers, vacant land, and construction as well as mortgages. It will hurt for a few years, but at least the banks will be able to survive by NOT FAILING because of mortgage holders who walk in the face of historical drops in home devaluation. The tortoise won the race ---not the hare."Slow and steady wins the race" Not hyped up crazy specuvestors and Real estate flippers who try to make money by talking it out of you via GET RICH QUICK real estate schemes.

• posted at 5:28 pm on Mon, Aug 11, 2008.

To Patton1: Please explain what happened to the housing project across from Wine and Roses? Do you know which bank was involved? Who made money on the purchase of VACANT land? Does that sound like a "conservative" decision? I AM QUOTING YOU! If a community or regional bank private, or publicly held, ANY INVESTMENTS in Real estate development (including residential AND commercial, construction or land deals is extremely risky. The risk increases daily as the mortgage interest rate increases. Its time for local banks to immediately call back their loans for the work NOT COMPLETED or halted so they do not face insolvency like the 300 or so banks on the OTS master bank failure list. The list is secret, but all the bank CEO's know that the parade is really a charade. When the MUSIC STOPS---and it will. Who will find a chair to sit in? lost of banks will be sitting on the floor with Countrywide, Indymac as well as with the GSE's FNM and Freddiemac FRE. FNM dropped 7.18% just in one day--today. FRE dropped 5.08% also today.

• posted at 5:14 pm on Mon, Aug 11, 2008.

To Jess: If you want some good laughs visit this site: '..and You too papercut! LOLhttp://www.johnson4citycouncil.com/supporters.htmlIts a list of ARDENT supporters for Ex-Mayor Bob. READ the names. See anything familiar? Do you see any local developers, builders and cheerleaders? Now look at this one:All the way back to 1997/98: http://publicdocs.lodi.gov/Docs/CONFLICT_OF_INTEREST/1997-2003/00002051.pdfDo you now understand what interests this man? Is it taxpayers? Is it developers? Is it Realtors? Is it bankers? Is it Real estate apprasials? Is it about keeping hyperinflated housing prices high? Think about who wins when Mayor Bob wins.

• posted at 4:49 pm on Mon, Aug 11, 2008.

To Jess: The COI (Conflict Of Interest Forms) forms are also called form 700's. Politicans and wannabe politicians HATE these forms. Using only Google, you can see a lot of dirty underwear hanging in the dusty closets of city hall. You see, COI forms ARE PUBLIC RECORDS and they Never DIE, as long as consumers and taxpayers keep copies. Politicians freak out. Google you favorite Lodi political hack and use keywords form 700 or COI, and you will get a rush of publicly published "secrets" that the LNS or other media won't discuss. Tru it, the local news media only do it to go after politicians they don't like. You aren't required to take the day off work to plead with city hall to let you take a peak at who donated what to whom. Unfortunately you are supposed to speculate the "why". If its a GOB or a bank, watch "who" they give the donation "to". LOL Check out the Huffington Post. She publishes all the ugly campaign donations. That tells a story if its own. You only see that larger donations.

• posted at 4:02 pm on Mon, Aug 11, 2008.

f and m is super strong because it is conservative. Nobody could force that sale.

• posted at 2:31 pm on Mon, Aug 11, 2008.

edumacation, how do you think our local good ol' boy bank here in Lodi stays in business? Their stocks have dumped $100 or so a share in the last year or so and without Lodi city money and the good ol' boys finances, they'd be hurting. It'll just be a matter of time now with another two years of more faltering economy until a major financial institution will force a hostile takeover of all local banks.

• posted at 2:27 pm on Mon, Aug 11, 2008.

Jess, try conflict of interest forms. Some lie about their holdings and have them in another's name or a family trust of a relative and some lie about their contributitors and some just don't reveal it. Some spouses have different last names and the uninvolved party will have the holdings and assets in their name while the other half would want you to think they don't have much. It's called politics.

• posted at 1:44 pm on Mon, Aug 11, 2008.

In following this whole greenbelt fiasco, I have to admit it is pretty sad. Those without the land are trying to dictate to those with the land what they should do. The non landowners do not care that their desires jepordize the rights of the landowners. One has to wonder how the "nons" would react if their property rights were threatened.

• posted at 10:05 am on Mon, Aug 11, 2008.

Edumacation, what are COI forms?

• posted at 9:54 am on Mon, Aug 11, 2008.

Lie to me once, shame on you. Lie to me twice - shame on me. Why do these politicans keep thinking that if they only lie "sometimes", that we will forget? Many of us are skeptical when we see the same huff and puff. Question: Do you really think that when banks contribute to a politician that they don't want favors? Hmm don't think so. Look at Susie's COI forms.

• posted at 6:14 pm on Sun, Aug 10, 2008.

The city makes every project pay for the cost of the EIR. Hows is that enticment? That is how every project is treated these days.By the way, deide doesnt need partners, they have plenty of money to do a project themselves.

• posted at 9:17 am on Sun, Aug 10, 2008.

Who's backing Diede with the finances? Is this going to be the same group of good ol' boys that have their fingers in the till on every land, building, housing development and strip mall from Lodi? The union is looking to recoup some prevailing wage money from him some day and I hope it's soon. I'd be very curious to see the names involved in this deal, especially those who'll be silent partners with so many different family and corporate and company names that control the building and planning department and the city council itself. Why the $362,000 "enticement" money to research a project whose land isn't even in the scope of the general plan yet? Nor has it, and possibly may not be annexed into Lodi? Is Diede going to pay to Widen Armstrong Road and add an overpass on 99 to accomodate the traffic? Oh, I see, we taxpayers again get to pay those hundreds of millions for road and freeway work, right? And won't that farming right at their backdoor come to everything but a halt with the plowing, spraying and cropdusting being halted by the NIMBY's who're building there? Where will Diede buy his protective acreage?

• posted at 4:32 am on Sun, Aug 10, 2008.

Its about increasing the amount of quality medical services for our city plus great jobs to boot! What a huge win for Lodi for a change.

• posted at 2:51 am on Sun, Aug 10, 2008.

As for the Sutter Gould project, I am all for it. It will enhance our local medical services and bring in more jobs. Our CC made the right decision approving this. Well done.

• posted at 2:49 am on Sun, Aug 10, 2008.

Robb, of course it is about money. Those farmers are defending their livilhood.Our CC sees the land as a strip of land while the farmers see it as their businesses. Big difference in the view.

• posted at 5:34 pm on Sat, Aug 9, 2008.

It is as it has always been, about dollars....if anyone says different, they are lying....

• posted at 9:02 am on Fri, Aug 8, 2008.

... and of course a fine bottle of wine to go with that spa treatment.

• posted at 8:44 am on Fri, Aug 8, 2008.

Will do Madman, but I will expect free spa treatments for life.

• posted at 8:41 am on Fri, Aug 8, 2008.

patton1, tell Munson if Diede's thing goes through I have some great vineyards out here for him to build a hotel or two or 3 in. Heck, the patrons can drive a golf cart to the golf course.Maybe a few cottages to make a spa/ retreat.Why stop there. Lets go with 4-6 different style restaurants. Lets really make this a wine destination.

• posted at 7:52 am on Fri, Aug 8, 2008.

Patton1, that's just asking way too much.

• posted at 5:39 am on Fri, Aug 8, 2008.

Munson has stopped looking at the vaibilty of a hotel downtown. Verdict,it would not work. While I would not encourage T&C to continue his conspiratorial rants, he should at least get his facts right once in a while.

• posted at 4:20 am on Fri, Aug 8, 2008.

That's why Lodi is doing that new study of LEUD, to finagle how to soak us citizens of Lodi for the money to generate electric and the infrastructure monies so they don't have to pony up themselves. They also have that three story hotel downtown they're going to help Munson build and pay for. All these projects coming up and no one talks about how they're going to extend all these services to the good ol' boys projects.

• posted at 4:15 am on Fri, Aug 8, 2008.

madman, they know how to intimidate you farmers one way or another. Thank God for people like Mr. Steve Herum and his network of information and attorneys. How's the vines looking this year?

• posted at 1:28 am on Fri, Aug 8, 2008.

patton1, you are correct. Plus 2 restaurants.Now how do you think that will impact the farmers next door when a 100 room hotel goes in? The people, the traffic, the cars will all impact that area.

• posted at 3:16 pm on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Diede wants a wine themed hotel and wine related retail for their property that extends to Armstrong. It is several years out but worth keeping an eye out. It will be a battle I am sure. They would probably want sewer to come from Lodi. If Lodi sewer goes to Micke Grove Zoo, it will be a lot closer to them,hmmmm.

• posted at 2:07 pm on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

I'm with cj on this madman, or sam both of you seem to know something I have yet to have heard. What does Diede have planned for armstrong rd.

• posted at 1:41 pm on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

madman; what does Diede have planned for Armstrong road? Just wondering

• posted at 1:41 pm on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

wtf, I do appreciate your websites and the Ron Paul info. I really appreciate you listening to us farmers and landowners.And, fyi, I am still waiting the McCain's crash and burn that you predicted. You may be off by just weeks.

• posted at 1:05 pm on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Sorry about that. The post at 5:56 p.m. was in answer to your question, sam. I keep thinking about your suggestion regarding annexing the land and using it for smart growth - parks, bike paths, stadiums - more and more, this sounds like the way to go. I used to be for the greenbelt when I thought those who lived out that way were in favor of it. Now I see it differently after reading the blogs. Basically what the greenbelt would be is a buffer zone between Lodi and Stockton and what you describe, sam, would work equally well as a buffer zone with more people getting benefit from it.

• posted at 12:56 pm on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Technically, he's out of the race, sam; but there are a lot us who will be writing his name in and, of course, there is the "other" Republican Convention he's spearheading. ;0http://www.rallyfortherepublic.com/In fact, a private polling site I belong to asked if the election were held tomorrow, would I vote for McCain, Obama, neither one, someone else. I guess I wasn't the only one who said "someone else"; so the next question was: If someone else, who would it be and one of the choices was Ron Paul.And of course Ron Paul is running his Campaign for Liberty as well.http://www.campaignforliberty.com/And a political action committee (PAC) called the Liberty PAC.http://www.libertypac.net/html/ronpaul.html

• posted at 12:51 pm on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

wtf I agree with you, Ron Paul sounds like he is concerned about what is going on in this country, and is in favor of nuclear power. Obama is nothing more that an empty suit and a talking head, amazing how he can B S the young, woman and minorites to be taken in by him, reminds me of James Jones, Charlie Manson and David Koresh. They led people that didn`t have a mind of their own and were taken in by slick talk. Can it happen again, November 2nd will tell how this country will go in the next 4 years. Choose your vote wisely.

• posted at 12:50 pm on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

patton1, but like dyan, I am concerned about our water. Our supply is limited.Lodi needs their water treatment plant now. Recharge has not been proven to effective. Also recharging for Lodi near Micke Grove gives Lodi's water to Stockton.The underground flow is south-west. What is Lodi CC thinking???

• posted at 12:47 pm on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Well patton1, do not worry about our land. Herum is amazing. Suzi will never control our land.I do think it is sad that she is trying to stop the Sutter Gould project. That is a winner for Lodi... a new, up to date medical center and more higher paying jobs. What is wrong with that??

• posted at 12:24 pm on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Now HItchcock not only wants to control property in the green belt study area, she also wants to control property outside the greenbelt area.

• posted at 12:11 pm on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

wtf said " I cannot believe the hassle the landowners are having regarding their **own** land. Geez!"Seriously. It is not only our land, but it is also our businesses and our homes. Sad, huh? Thanks for your concern.

• posted at 12:09 pm on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

wtf, is he out of the race? or is he still running?

• posted at 12:03 pm on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

What's happening in Lodi is a type of "trickle down" government effect...it's happening all across the board. This is what Ron Paul has to say:"But today the government dictates not only how we can use the land, but in many cases forces us to allow others to use our property in ways to which we object."Rest of article here:http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=53

• posted at 12:03 pm on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Nomebody ought to start a recall. 2 more years of Hitchcock and our city will be dried up and bankrupt.

• posted at 11:59 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Dylan, you must be Bob Dylan. I can almost hear you inhaling now. Our wells usage is going to be reduced by 50% when we treat the WID and EMUD water we are going to be getting.

• posted at 11:54 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

sam said: "Imagine annexing all the land, especially by Micke Grove. Over the years, the city could allow a few houses here and there (no high density garbage) and build sports complexes, bike paths, parks, riding stables, etc. using the Grove as a hub. All that would increase Lodi's tax base."This is a great idea, sam. Reading the blogs, I cannot believe the hassle the landowners are having regarding their **own** land. Geez!Once again, Ron Paul's my man! He is for property rights along with gun rights and smaller government.

• posted at 11:48 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

When all the wells run dry, then maybe the wisdom of Hitchcock will be revealed to the most blind among you.

• posted at 10:40 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Dogs, now that is funny... very funny.

• posted at 10:21 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Sam as a rule every body is against wal-mart, now thanks to that Hitchcock woman, wal-mart has been religated to second, but for how long is anyones guess. Come on wally world isn`t all that bad.

• posted at 10:07 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

al da long, I do, as do many of my friends and neighbors. I think Planning BIG and SMART is so much more fun than letting things just happen.Right now a private school is going in on Armstrong and West Lane. Nice entrance for the city, huh?Things are happening out here all the while Suzi has Lodians convinced there is a greenbelt. The greenbelt is all in her mind.

• posted at 9:59 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

How Ms. Hitchcock/Akin/Glenn has stayed relevant is beyond logic. She initially ran for CC only to exact revenge on her husband's supposed City enemies. How she has managed to stick around is a mystery. I'm sure we've all had enough of her self-serving politics.

• posted at 9:46 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Sam, sounds like you've got some property by Mikcie's Grove. Although the thought of that isn't too bad, just link it to west lane developement and you'd make a very nice approach to the City.

• posted at 9:43 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

O>K.Suzi, a flurry of High Density housing, right, with all the houses for sale, and all major and existing developements stopped. If you want a green belt use your own money and buy some property south of town. Your AL-5 zoning will get eating up in court, because the county would have to allow it every where else.

• posted at 9:23 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Gee, do you think a stay at home daddy has a chance to earn a seat on the CC? Of course I'm pro moderate growth (more jobs, diverse businesses and keep sales tax $$ in Lodi) and would push for better bike lanes everywhere possible.Of course then if I made it no one would say anything I did was to line my own pockets since I'd make no profits one way or another. Unless i pushed through a tax break for stay at home parents. Hey, that gives me an idea.

• posted at 9:16 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Seriously, could you imagine what Armstrong Road could look like if Hitchcock quit thinking "vineyard greenbelt?Imagine annexing all the land , especially by Micke Grove. Over the years, the city could allow a few houses here and there (no high density garbage) and build sports complexes, bike paths, parks, riding stables, etc. using the Grove as a hub. All that would increase Lodi's tax base.Suzi has a such narrow mind set. Too bad Lodi did not have leaders who could dream BIG.

• posted at 9:10 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

dyan, LOL. That is funny

• posted at 9:10 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Dogs, you said "Hitchock is now running in first place, who would have ever thought. "What do you mean?

• posted at 8:29 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Sam your a man of wisdom and I stand corrected. Seems what you don`t know can come back to haunt you. CMD asked why doesn`t the city by an ag easment. First of all, whats the city going to use for money since they don`t have a pot to P in or a window to through it out of. Out of all the posts I have read so far, that evil wal-mart has not been mentened. Whoaaa Hitchock is now running in first place, who would have ever thought.

• posted at 8:29 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

The only "green belt" some of our city leaders know is the belt one puts money in and is worn around a waist.

• posted at 7:50 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

continued. . .an easement will not stop any of those problems. . .an easement will on cause more problems for the landowners . . .they will no longer control their own land and will have another government agency interferring in their farming operation. That is the last thing that they need.

• posted at 7:48 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Trespassing, stealing crops, stealing equipment and destruction of property has been going on for years...

• posted at 7:46 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

easement

• posted at 7:46 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

mp, would you want an esasement on your property? I certainly wouldn't!

• posted at 7:08 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

cmd has a great idea, but who wants to pay for thoses easements? will the citizens? the city has no money. how about a tax? do you think the citizens will approve a tax to pay for the land? 10% tax should cover it.

• posted at 7:08 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

cmd, Lodi does not have the money. But the real reason is when cities grow farming is restricted. With the growth of Micke Grove, my neighbor can no longer farm AFTER 5 am. The dust bothers the people in the park.My other neighbor was sulfuring his vineyard on Harney. The people across the street called the cops saying he made too much noise. He had to stop. People say they love living next to the country, but once my vineyard dirt is in your swimming pool, you will not be so happy.

• posted at 6:52 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

why doesn't the city just buy ag easements from the property owners? the owners get to keep their land, keep doing what they are doing and don't have to worry that their land will be surrounded by houses of people coming out and night and stealing their crops. the city will have an easement which makes is so the land will continue to be used for agricultural purposes in perp.

• posted at 6:30 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Luckily we won that legal battle and there is no greenbelt and Lodi does not have a say over our land.I guess I should say "Thank you Suzy". Her rudeness motivated us to unite and hire Herum. The rest is history.

• posted at 6:28 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Hey dogs, I actually had no problem with Suzy until I saw her stand over a seated 70-ish neighbor of mine. He has been farming for a life time and works tirelessly to maintain his family vineyard.She put her boney finger in his face, shaking it at him widely while telling him he has no say in what she (Lodi) can to do with HIS land. She was talking about his land ... his family business... and his home.I will never forget that image and personally can not think of why Suzi deserves my respect.

• posted at 6:19 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Out of all I have read, seems Sam shows the least respect calling her "Susie". She doesn`t seem to have many or anybody that will back her up, never the less she is a member of the CC and is entitled to her opinion. 4A stronglodi had it right, and I would like to hear some of the stories his folks could tell, and they are right when they consider growth, managed growth. Hope they live to be 100. T&C switch to de-cafe

• posted at 6:09 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Well you are a funny man, T & C.Several weeks ago when the proposed development on Armstrong Rd was posted on the blogs, you said "Great, More jobs for Lodi." You were for growth. Now you are against it?You do know that if Lodi does not grow all your services, utilities and taxes in Lodi will have to go up.. including your bus service.

• posted at 6:05 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

T&C wrote on Aug 7, 2008 7:35 AM..."You property owners might as well sell to Mr. Spanos, he's going to be coming to your area soon. Bye bye Lodi and greenbelt and hello Stockton. It always was meant to be that way, anyhow, no matter how you stacked the deck". Darn it T&C; it's a little early for this much paranoia don't ya think?

• posted at 6:04 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Pretty amazing how this woman can continually shoot herself in the foot. Her behavior towards Blue Shield executives during Council meetings was an embarassing. Now she's at it again. Sit down and shut up.

• posted at 5:58 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

""If this community wants to remain smaller ... and have distinct communities ... some of you better get off your butts and run for a council seat because what you have up here is a pro-growth Elk Grove-style council," Hitchcock told a crowd of roughly two dozen people, winning applause from a few"! Here's your chance edumacation, I mean tc, I mean T&C, I mean patton1 run for city council or ZIP YOUR LIP!

• posted at 5:22 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

4AStrongLodi, I think you do not know all of Lodi's old blood. I am part of one of those old families. My parents are in their 90's and love and appreciate growth .. managed growth. The first piece of land of theirs that they developed was on Lodi Avenue around where the Albertson's is (was). My dad talks about being denied sewer and water because they were too far from Lodi. His stories are great to listen too.Lodi has to grow or it will not survive.

• posted at 5:07 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Observer - Sorry for the generalization. I meant to allude to the "old blood" that lives in Lodi and has never lived anywhere else, but seems to get the full attention of Susan. They (and her) have no perspective on what this town could and should be.

• posted at 4:35 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

I beg to differ 4AStrongLodi.....I think you are selling the senior community short. Most of the seniors I know are very much aware of the benefits of well managed growth.

• posted at 4:18 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Hitchcock's true colors are showing. Anti-growth is what will destry this City...besides it's not even in the greenbelt. I think she spends too much time listening to the senior community in this town.

• posted at 4:17 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Yep. We'll be just like Stockton. I can't wait.

• posted at 4:03 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Oh and patton1, I have a Sutter doctor also I welcome this new center. I adore their Stockton complex. Lodi deserves this and needs this... more well paying jobs.

• posted at 4:02 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

patton1, the 5 acres parcel plan is waiting for an EIR, not a greenbelt. They are completely different. But with all the new projects coming Armstrong's way, I see a lot of landowners (including myself) not interested in the 5 acre proposal anymore. Too late.

• posted at 3:52 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

What is Hitchcock's problem? The approval was for an Environmental Review - a ***preliminary*** move; nothing more.Why is this woman creating a tempest in a teapot? She's not up for re-election; so what's the deal?Perhaps it's a side swipe at JoAnne who ***is*** up for re-election. Hmmmm....JoAnne is the only one who has made an effort at compromise with property owners and Hitchcock pitches b*tchcock?Maybe it's time for Ms. Hitchcock to step down; methinks she's been sitting on the CC so long, she thinks she's a permanent fixture.NOT!

• posted at 3:41 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Heck the greenbelt is at the county waiting to be implemented. If Lodi would get off their butts, the eir would already have begun. It can be a reality in less than a year.

• posted at 3:41 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Neo, you are right. Tthere is no greenbelt... period. Right now there are plans being made for a private school, a 100 room hotel, 2 restaurants, and a shopping area with 6-8 stores... all on Armstrong. Yeah, that sounds like a greenbelt to me.It is too late. Lodi had it's chance, but Suzy blew it. It is amusing how she blames others for her mistakes and failures.

• posted at 3:31 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

I love ya Susan, but this greenbelt fight is pretty much over. In this economy nobody is going to spend a nickel to pay for this thing.

• posted at 3:15 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

I have a Sutter doctor and I cant wait to have a first class facility with top notch equipment.Any city would be thrilled to have this development.

• posted at 3:12 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

When a developer is required to pay for his eir, how is that a bribe? Is this from the Hitchock playbook?

• posted at 3:11 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

I have no problem with Ms. Hitchcock expressing an opinion.....but the fact that she threatened the two incumbents up for re-election was classless and unprofessional.

• posted at 3:03 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

16925, I'm not saying she sold out, but bought into an issue that stinks. How can city staff spend time on a project and accept upfront money on a bet? This developer isn't fronting $362,000 for nothing, no matter what he says. It was a waste of council time to even consider this issue last night considering the serious problems Lodi now faces with their infrastructure, ground pollution, financial problems, gangs, water treatment, meters, etc. Who's going to widen the roads, provide the water and infrastructure and who'l get thew nice vacations and perks when they vote yes for annexation? I don't want my tax money spent on some spoiled developer who comes around and throws a fistful of cash on the table and demands instead of asking. There's already a problem with supplying enough electricity and water to the three new developments and now another one? Will this developer pay that $30 million for that new power plant to supply his project? This project shouldn't even be considered until Lodi adopts their new general plan. This area isn't included in that plan and it'll have to be added and approved also. Let the games begin.

• posted at 2:55 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

You know the saying guys: Money talks, BS walks.

• posted at 2:53 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

This deal stinks as bad as letting Munson have a nine month moratorium on the city of Lodi concerning the new "hotel" downtown. I doubt the Geweke hoteliers would allow him to build anything other than what he already has, an overpriced motel buried amidst a strip motel and apartment buildings. The city built their tourist center and "sipping" room there in the most remote corner of Lodi to keep him afloat. Now the word id that again Sutter Gould is only able to fit on that particular parcel and it's needed to supplement the new strip mall and residential that will build out there. It's going to be another Reynolds Ranch all over again, with the good ol' boys again scheming to make some cash while everything else has bottomed out. How do you figure how this Medical building is going to grow Lodi? The jobs will just be relocates from all their leased buildings and facilities around town. t's funny that Lodi can't pay the going rate for that prime agricultural land, but the developers can pay a premium and buy anything they want. Perhaps council merely plans it that way.

• posted at 2:47 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

T&C you know better than to say the Mayor has sold out. You say you know her and you told me how hard she has been working on a green belt plan.

• posted at 2:36 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Zin, they have. But they are stalling. To me it is too little to late.I am leaning more to partner with a private individual rather than a broke city. That is just me.

• posted at 2:35 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Good job, three ayemeegos, and Mayor. Now we know where the real money trail leads. That $360,000 incentive from the slick talking Carouba was nothing short of a bribe. You property owners might as well sell to Mr. Spanos, he's going to be coming to your area soon. Bye bye Lodi and greenbelt and hello Stockton. It always was meant to be that way, anyhow, no matter how you stacked the deck.

• posted at 2:34 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

16925, there is no greenbelt task force. It died a while ago.If Lodi CC continues to stall on the 5 acre proposal made by the landowners it will soon be withdrawn. Personally I no longer support the proposal. I do not trust the city of Lodi at all. I have neighbors who feel the same. Once again... mostly because of Suzie Q.

• posted at 2:33 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

I have heard that Hansen and Mounce have met with the landowners...at least they are attempting to work with the landowners. Yet from all I have seen and heard, all Suzy does is threaten to take the land along Armstrong Road...she obviously does not respect property rights or the landowners.

• posted at 2:30 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

16925......she has used this tactic every time election time rolls around. I wonder when our fellow Lodi citizens will finally wake up and finally show her the door!

• posted at 2:29 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Zin, not a problem.. the funny thing is I read "sam."I just finished my 5 mile walk through the land out here. If Lodi had annexed this land out here into the city they would have such a gem for all Lodians to enjoy. Instead Suzy used her bullying attempts to try to force us to be sandwiched between to growing cities. I have to agree with Madman. Suzy is the main person who managed to destroy the greenbelt idea.

• posted at 2:28 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

libraryguy, I agree with your comment. Hard to believe that Hitchcock is a public representative of our city and even harder to believe she is a public educator......I don't even want to think how she treats our children!!!

• posted at 2:27 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Does anyone notice that every election year Ms Hitchcock screams "greenbelt" to get attention and make it look like she is doing something about. She has sat on a greenbelt task force for years and has done nothing except make all the property owners mad.

• posted at 2:25 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

What unprofessional comments by Hitchcock. And during a council meeting, too.

• posted at 2:22 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

In the past 5 years while battling Suzy over her attempt to take control of our property, I have learned one excellent lesson.All that really matters is who I pick to be on my team. Lodi cannot stop likes of Spanos, Grupe, or even Diede.Rant on Suzy. Oh and have a nice day.

• posted at 2:19 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Sorry, I meant sam.....haven't had my coffee yet!

• posted at 2:19 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

san, Ms. Hitchcock has bullied way to many Lodi citizens and Armstrong Road property owners!

• posted at 2:18 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Observer, your comments are right on the mark.

• posted at 2:16 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

The city is roughly 6800 acres. Now Suzy wants to take on an additional 4000 acres to control?Suzy, build a wall around your fine city on your property line and continue to stick your head in the sand while your infrastructures collapse and your gangs thrive. I personally sleep well at night knowing you will never, ever get your greedy hands on my land.

• posted at 2:14 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

I am extremely disappointed in Ms. Hitchcock's remarks. She owes the Mayor and remaining council members an apology. Particularly the Mayor and Council member Johnson. How in the world does she stretch an environmental document to a comparison with Elk Grove's growth rate? That is just a scare tactic. Her comment that the medical office project would lead to "high density" growth is preposterous.

• posted at 2:11 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Zin, you are so right. I cannot stand that woman (?).

• posted at 1:36 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

If you watched the council meeting, no green light was given to the developer. All the council seemed to vote on was to allow the Caruba guy to pay for someone to complete his documents for the project to be considered. This should take over a year before it is voted on.

• posted at 1:16 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Lodi builds Blue Shield feet from the city limits and she is worried about a complex beling built a 1/4 mile within the city limits.Ms Hitchcock are you sleeping and ignoring Diede and his commercial plans for Armstrong Road? Oh that's right. You have no say into what happens on Armstrong. It is county controlled, not Lodi controlled.

• posted at 1:13 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Ms Hitchcock needs to be reminded that the single most person who had the greatest effect on destroying the idea of a greenebelt was Hitchcock herself. Her self rightious attitude and her attempt to bully the landowners destroyed all willingness for us to work with the city.

• posted at 1:10 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

I would love to see a gas station on the south side of town on the way to Stockton. Harney and West Lane sounds like the perfect intersection.

• posted at 1:09 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

What greenbelt? I am a property owner on Armstrong Road. There is no greenbelt.My land is in the county. County officials have spoken loud and clear. Lodi has no say over what happens on Armstrong. According to our attornies, Lodi has no legal right to put up us their General Plan. Watch for forced changes in Lodi's general plan.

• posted at 12:56 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

How does a property that is not in the greenbelt area that she approved threaten the greenbelt? How does a city that grows at .3% have an Elk Grove style council? Hitchcock's zero growth and zero jobs attitude has nearly bankrupted the city.

• posted at 12:44 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

How does a property that is not in the greenbelt area that Hitchock approved threaten the greenbelt? I really like the Elk Grove comment! with the lowest growth of any city in the county, that one is just priceless.

• posted at 12:35 am on Thu, Aug 7, 2008.

Hitchcock is a bully!