San Joaquin County supervisors reacted with sadness and some indignation at the news that Sheriff Baxter Dunn retired and accepted a guilty plea for mail fraud in the federal charges against him.
Biography: Baxter Dunn• Dunn, 57, has three daughters. He is a graduate of Manteca High School, San Joaquin Delta College and California State University, Sacramento.
• He started with the department as a cadet in 1967.
• From 1984 to 1987, he served as commander of the county jail and took charge of the Coroner's Division. He has also been the Chief of Custody and Chief of Operations.
• He was first elected sheriff in June 1990. He was elected to three subsequent four-year terms.
• He helped develop the STARS program which puts volunteers, many of them seniors, on patrol.
• He re-established the county's Metropolitan Narcotics Task Force, which the former sheriff had disbanded in the late 1980s.
-- News-Sentinel staff
You must login to view the full content on this page.
Or, use your linked account: