Republicans square off to see who will face Jerry McNerney

Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:00 am

Republicans face what seems to be a difficult choice in deciding who is best-equipped to battle incumbent Democrat Jerry McNerney in the 11th Congressional District race this year.

Four Republicans remain in the race, and their views are strikingly similar. Therefore, candidates are trying to persuade voters to base their votes on who they say is best able to defeat McNerney in November and who will be the most effective in bringing their conservative values to Congress.

• posted at 3:03 am on Mon, May 24, 2010.

8 months before 9/11 cheney rang up his energy task force.Even got scalia and the Supreme Ct.to rule against telling the people who was there,what was discussed and why. None of our business.Amazing..The Japanese didn't get the memo..Said they were passing around detailed maps etc of Iraqui oil fields.The fix was in.PNAC tried to get Clinton to attack Iraq when he was on Penn. Ave. No Go....They sighed.The only way we can do this is with a new "Pearl Harbor".Voila..Manhattan ,Tues. am. The oil execs were there ordering up the war.rupert was crowing how great this was going to be..Yeah, BIG OIL..The Corporate coup that the S. Court pulled off in DC ?? We're paying for it still, Iraq, casualties, Afghan. round two and now the New World's Dead Sea..Every one of the local gopers wants to drill off OUR COAST..I surfed Pleasure Pt.,S.Cruz and Coronado/OB for yrs. Even worked San Mateo Coast sans wetsuit when tanker cracked up off Golden Gate '68/69.Spent as much time on water as land..My second home..Seen this before...Can't get off oil with gopers OWNED by Saudis and oily cartel..Drill baby drill? That's gonna play real well due west of here..Keep blowing up your...

• posted at 7:00 pm on Sun, May 23, 2010.

T & C wrote "Democrats are on their way out and good riddence to them!"This blanket statement shows ignorance.

• posted at 5:42 pm on Sun, May 23, 2010.

I stand corrected. Your honesty is beyond reproach. I'm sure you made up terms like foxsnooze all by your lonesome. Perhaps you'll want to see an intellectual property attorney, as this term is used there quite often.And what points have you made? "Big Oil"? Another meaningless catchphrase. Dems' hands are as covered in sludge as the Reps'.I know some Dems of integrity myself; I have two brothers who are quite left-of-center. They love MSNBC. I think that's great, since I'm all for free speech.Okay, through for good now. I'm kinda mad at myself for even posting this.

• posted at 5:07 pm on Sun, May 23, 2010.

By the by. I'm not the one who is lying on this site ...Not surprising but.....despicable...Noticed that noone has denied or challenged ANYTHING I've pointed out..Instead atack me personally. How pathetic and typical..But really, thanks for the revelry.I tell mes amigos about all the limbawww fans whining about how "hateful " and mean I am..Do you have any idea how hilarious that is? Re: The daily dose of Pavlovian poop that beck, insanity and limbawww air .The irony must escape y'all but really, after goerring talked about hunting American citizens and his problems with his trick finger,you demean my honesty...? Jeepers......P.T.Barnum had it right......

• posted at 4:44 pm on Sun, May 23, 2010.

Taught at Juvenile Hall in Silicon Valley for YEARS ..I don't lie , in my classrooms or on the computer.Grampa was a preacher and my forbears would expect more of me... Understand that some folks can't cope with the real world or differences of opinion..but being a viewer of a particular tv channel does not make one any more honest than anyone else..I know what Daily Cos is but never heard of media matters? I think that 's the blurb..Seems some folks can't handle differences of opinion.. Kinda' amazing to see folks lie about me on this site..It's a first...But not surprising,considering the tactics of foxsnoooze and their admirers..Confirms everything I've seen .....and we're supposed to hand the country back to these worthys.......By the by, I'm known for my sense of humor and lively but totally well managed classrooms..Worked with several Stanford grads who were gopers/ Beethoven fans including the wife of Los Altos Mayor.But she knew that differences of opinion were not cause for poisonous bile and tripe,lying and ameteurish libel...A great lady,damn good teacher and one of the few republicans I honestly admire...

• posted at 2:03 pm on Sun, May 23, 2010.

I suppose I'm stupid for taking the bait, but Bayowolf, you can say you're a former Republican on the 'net just as I can say I'm a former brain surgeon turned nuclear physicist. You can say you're a Viet Nam vet just as Richard Blumenthal of CT can say the same. Who'd be the wiser? (Well, in Blumenthal's case, he's being exposed left and right, but I digress).From what I've read from you, it's hard to distinguish you from a typical poster on Daily Kos. I know, you've never heard of the Daily Kos.Okay, I've spoken my piece.

• posted at 2:40 am on Sun, May 23, 2010.

Historical footnote...Was a Goldwater kid at '64 Republican Cnvention in SF. Worked for MccCain,Navy Guy in 2000. Couldn't believe that Rove's machine would slime his wife and adopted daughter in SO.Carolina .BUT THEY DID...Born again huh...? See Atwater on the southern strategy...Despicable..Voted for P. McCloskey in 2008 GOP primary...Happens from time to time..But if A. Lincoln could see his party in action today..He'd hurl...

• posted at 11:26 am on Sat, May 22, 2010.

Bayowolf would never vote R anyway, so it's best to ignore him with respect to this story. I'm still leaning toward Harmer or Emken. I like the fact that Emken advocates for persons with disabilities. Since she's the mom of a child with autism, she has a unique and needed perspective on this issue.

• posted at 7:14 am on Sat, May 22, 2010.

PS...........tt...what in helk is mediamatters?

• posted at 7:04 am on Sat, May 22, 2010.

Pleasant drive cross town via Hutchins and Ham this AM...Noticeably fewer Goehring signs on display.P'raps even the locals have figured out that talking about shooting 30/40% of the population might not be real good for business,seems even foxsnoooooze victims can do that math...Sorry about mr. g's blowing up his own campaign trying to be a s. palin wannabe..Just another IQ test...and now back to the Senatorial candidate from Kentucky,mr. paul...NEXT...

• posted at 5:12 am on Sat, May 22, 2010.

Bayowolf... Yawn... snooze....I’m beginning to believe you are a bold face liar. You must be a mediamatters.com employee. You are neither a vet nor a farmer I think. Its obvious you do not like the right... blinded by your hatred. There are two sides to a coin and are many variables that influence the outcome of events. Personally, I think a majority of politicians both left and right do not have our best interests at heart. You and other employees of Media Matters have such a narrow focus, that your distorted reality is reflected in your thoughts you have expressed.I’m not going to respond to you any further as it is very obvious that your agenda has nothing to do with most peoples reality. I hope you can find peace and find another job that doesn’t breed hatred. Good Luck

• posted at 2:49 pm on Fri, May 21, 2010.

Called righteous rage..Guess that's what comes from being a foxsnooooooze victim. After the namecalling and personal sliming you can expect flat out lying..Just make stuff up.Lessons from limbaw and beck I spoze, but kinda sad...Not clear how the "conservatives" have any self respect, no honor....Registered GOP in o8 to vote for McCloskey,anything to get rid of that walking oil slick, Pombo. Lost 4 buds in the Nam,names on the wall.Mess in Afghan. is a going away gift from lil george,gotta ease out. Karzai's bro is a major drug lord.McCain said we can just muddle along there...8 yrs later, after blowing 1 Trillion in Iraq....for OIL... cheney , lil george.....war criminals...Should swing.. .. Now 1000 dead in Afghanistan..Yeah thanks for the depression.Why would any informed citizen be bitter? They must hate freedom....Why is sans sanity building a palace in NY on the backs of war vet's kids..Where's the money? Your heroes and gurus are..........despicable.Deregulation means NO RULES..Open season on the people..

• posted at 12:01 pm on Fri, May 21, 2010.

Bayowolf... congratulations... you communicate like a true follower of mediamatters.com and moveon.org ... I’ve seen your thoughts and words dozens of times when reviewing their websites. I’ve seen several of your blogs there... I can see why you are so angry and bitter. If you really are a vet and farmer like you say, I respect what you have given... but your anger is misplaced and misguided. By the way.. .have you counted the hundreds of woman and children that have been killed by Obama’s drones... where is your criticism there... you seem so one sided. I dislike all war and killing, Dems and Rep. both have blood on there hands. How Many deaths have been caused by your friend McNerney and his immigration policies (hundreds)... you have selective outrage.

• posted at 11:33 am on Fri, May 21, 2010.

I'm surrounded by vets thanks.Taught for the Navy and the Air Force, worked for the Army before that.Military History, Latin etc. Got skin in the game..My blood, young dad headed for the Afghan front , two babies at home..That's why I don't like bogus wars started by dick "5 deferment" cheney and his oily buddies.Sometimes dads,sons,brothers, don't come home.Blood is precious,lives lost break hearts and leave gaping holes.. Also graduated with Pat Tillman's mom and dad in San Jose. The hero that Rumsfield and those other liars used and abused in death..Despicable.Hard for me to understand why some folks/bloggers who always claim to be so patriotic would defame vets..

• posted at 3:15 pm on Thu, May 20, 2010.

Bayowolf... Independent? hummmmMaybe mediamatters.com and moveon.org would have a a different view of your independence.

• posted at 1:21 pm on Thu, May 20, 2010.

Independent soul and voter that I am , methinks I'll ask for a gop ballot so I can punch b.goehrings' ticket. With his gift of gab and widely acclaimed tact and people skills, Congressman McNerney should have no problem retiring him to his facebook page where he can resume talking to himself..

• posted at 1:01 pm on Thu, May 20, 2010.

Bayowolf wrote on May 20, 2010 5:44 PM:" Seems some contributors have REAL problems with the free exchange of ideas and freedom of speech... I agree Bayowolf... you have a serious problem in letting others express themselves. I wish you would let people express themselves without constantly degrading them. You really do give the appearance of a dog with rabies. Practice what you preach.

• posted at 12:44 pm on Thu, May 20, 2010.

Seems some contributors have REAL problems with the free exchange of ideas and freedom of speech. All taxpayers and citizens are free to express their views on this site...This is a result of the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights..Those with issues regarding those documents should go to the Nation's Capital, enter those hallowed halls and shout and have your tantrums there.Be sure and call foxsnoooze so they can film the event..

• posted at 11:47 am on Thu, May 20, 2010.

Bayowolf wrote on May 20, 2010 4:22 PM:" Psssstt. I have inside information that some local growers ... Drip ... drip drip... can you please stop getting us soaking wet with the foam flowing from your mouth. I think you are having problems focusing. I wish you well. I hope you can find a vet soon.

• posted at 11:22 am on Thu, May 20, 2010.

Psssstt. I have inside information that some local growers and producers are violating our laws and employing undocumented workers, or people who look like undocumented workers, or who dress like undocumented workers, or who talk like undocumented workers who who may know or associate with undocumented workers. Hey wait a minute, that would make those growers, ranchers and employers criminal too..Uh oh,I fear that some of our contributors may be victims of foxsnoooze.. The most uninformed voters in the nation..You can tell and sell them anything...Please send us your gold,second hand smoke is GOOD for you, the Insurance Companies are our big, wonderful friends and just because the US Military is planning for climate change and global warming doesn't mean it's REAL...

• posted at 3:52 am on Thu, May 20, 2010.

Opposed a committee amendment to prevent illegal aliens from accessing taxpayer-funded health care in 2009… H.R 3200Rep. McNerney is a cosponsor of H.R. 2414,… This bill is an amnesty for agricultural workers. Of the 1.2 million illegal aliensMcNerney voted against a motion to H.R. 5719, which was a vote supporting sanctuary cities in 2008Voted in favor of allowing illegal aliens to vote in union elections.. H.R. 800Rep. McNerney is a cosponsor of H.R. 371…bill to create an amnesty for illegal agricultural workers in 2007.

• posted at 3:51 am on Thu, May 20, 2010.

Bayowolf.. thanks for your view... but talk is very cheap. What he did was rubber stamp Obama’s agenda: Health care reform, tax increase upon tax increase. Complete support or illegal immigration rights. You are an unusual farmer... you somehow conclude that bay area interests and San Joaquin county interests are the same. The democrats resorted to gerrymandering to elect a bay area man for San Joaquin interests.

• posted at 11:06 am on Wed, May 19, 2010.

Met the Congressman at School St. Bistro with some LHS kids and local folk.He was accessible, taking questions and listening intently to all points..focused on keeping Lodi's greenbelt,looking to improve water quality and air quality in the valley..Smog and asthma on the rise,inversion in the summer heat..Talked about Delta conditions and supplies, groundwater. Working to end that disastrous,unnecessary fiasco in Iraq and save a few bux and US lives.His efforts on behalf of vets is my biggest issue..More boys coming home in one piece or getting the help and support they need so they can climb back on that tractor..that's the real deal..Unlike Pombo, who like most chickenhawks couldn't find his way off of the golf course but waved the flag and thumped the bible for public consummmption. Then he'd happily mail our kids off to die in the desert for Exxon's profits..Also like McNerneys' efforts to free us of Big Oil and break the Saudi stranglehold on Congress.Trillion dollars gone..and people wonder what happened to the economy....Do the math..Oh yeah where were the gopers then,worried about "our children' and their future...The silence was deafening..but now it's all Obama's fault..? Just another IQ test..

• posted at 5:26 am on Wed, May 19, 2010.

Whoa Nellie.. Hey... please enlighten us with details... I met all the candidates and have a completely different perspective... please tell us ... what makes Amador- too loony, extremist.. Goehring- no thanks. He can't even FINISH a degree at Chico State. Pathetic.with... Goehring can you go a little deeper... who cares if he finished his degree or not?.... Multi-generational ... who cares ... maybe you can provide something of substance and state something that might be helpful in the evaluation process... was that the best you could do?

• posted at 5:12 am on Wed, May 19, 2010.

Bayowolf... I cannot imagine how a grower would think Mcnerney has done a good job for the agricultural community. Can you please be more specific and list actual things he has done that meet with your approval. Since he has voted for everything that the Bay area wants, I would be surprised if you could name specific legislation that he voted for that meets agricultural interests.

• posted at 4:40 pm on Tue, May 18, 2010.

Well, I'm pretty happy. Specter the Defector lost.

• posted at 4:19 pm on Tue, May 18, 2010.

Hey, I'm a farmer too. Grow grapes, olives,cherries...Jerry Mcnerney has done a good job representing the entire District , not just the Eastern fringe and the provincial politics of Lodi. This District extends into Silicon Valley and the East Bay now so no matter how much noise the wing-nutz make, they don't run the show anymore..*See tonight's election results...Fox snoooooooze cut away from election returns because they were going under fast,their team was going down..Poor sans sanity was almost in tears.....Noise is noise, not news...

• posted at 2:17 pm on Tue, May 18, 2010.

I was at the "debate" (as you referenced, more of a forum). The problem I have with Harmer is that he is from politics and clearly cares alot about getting elected, somewhere, anywhere. It seems that will likely lead him to care more about "getting along" than about representing his ideals and his district. Other than that he seems OK. Goehring doesn't seem to have that issue. He has a job. I am a farmer. I like that he is local, he is a farmer, and he has already fought and beat the Govt. on property rights issues.

• posted at 1:51 pm on Tue, May 18, 2010.

Hey "shotgunlo" - if you were at the forum a few months ago you would see that Harmer is anything but "dull!" He is our best bet to rein in a runaway government. Of the four, he is the strong man to take on Washington.Emkin should take a graceful bow out - too mean spirited - she should fire whoever is running her campaign. She ruin her chance of gaining my vote the second she launched into hateful rhetoric against the other candidates.Goehring - A few courses short from graduating at Chico? He'll get torn apart by the McNerny machine. Too many skeletons in the Goehring campaign closet. (word is out about what he did to Beadles)- found this while looking at all the candidates sites: http://www.robertbeadles.org/press/

• posted at 10:35 am on Tue, May 18, 2010.

P.S., IMO: You will have a chance to vote McNerney out in November of this year. You don't have to wait until 2012, because congressional elections are every two years.

• posted at 10:33 am on Tue, May 18, 2010.

McNerney has voted to support Nancy Pelosi many more times than he's voted to support his constituents - the people who supposedly sent him to DC. Check his record. I agree - he has to go.I'm thinking Emken or Harmer are two good choices. We don't need Washington insiders, but we do need people with polish and savvy to handle themselves around those types of people.

• posted at 8:51 am on Tue, May 18, 2010.

it's my understanding that emken and harmar are both washington insiders. i hear you saying the other two are extreme. how so? i'm looking forward to replacing jerry. 2012 can't hardly come soon enough. barry and his wacked out administration are troubling to say the least. boxer, waters, and pelosi need to be replaced also. not to mention our ag rippin on the AZ 1070, that he hasn't read. holder is the same person that was representing gitmo detainees. now he's our ag and appointing attourneys formerly with his firm, that also represented gitmo detainees, to the doj. WHAT?! health care/student loand bill, cap and trade, and bail outs. they're just trying to ruin us. vote out the progressives. decrease the size of govt, cut spending, and cut taxes.would you consider me an extremist? i thought i was a conservative constitutionalist. i don't agree with seat belt or helmet laws. for safety, i agree, we SHOULD wear them. but, for it to be a law...does anyone think insurance is a scam. life, health, home, or car.

• posted at 8:26 am on Tue, May 18, 2010.

Gee, this is the best the GOP can offer our district?Goehring- no thanks. He can't even FINISH a degree at Chico State. Pathetic.Harmer- has already ran a couple of times, and his Dad was a politician. Multi-generational politicians is a bad idea, Dems or Reps: Bush, Kennedy's, Chicago's Daly family just to name a few.Amador- too looney, extremist.Emken- great private sector work experience combined with two degrees in associated fields. However, the fact that her husband ran for Congress worries me.As liberal a Jerry is, he has delivered some votes for the farmers, water, etc. But he does have to go! If you have every spoke with him you will wonder how he got elected.

• posted at 7:36 am on Tue, May 18, 2010.

"...most excellent representative..."LOL, is that anything like "Bill and Ted's Most Excellent Adventure"?

• posted at 4:32 am on Tue, May 18, 2010.

I agree robcrew, but we don't need punka-- snide people either. We already have a bunch of children running the candy store- we need some maturity and adults in DC. I'm voting for Harmer as the candidate that can hit the ground running--Goehring will have a fatal case of Potomac Fever the day his plane lands in Washington. He and Emken are resorting to dirty personal attacks, mostly against Harmer. I have no patience for that anymore-- it is childish and counter productive. We have too big of fish to fry in this country to resort to this behavior. If they are like this now, what will it be like when they are on our payroll?

• posted at 4:07 am on Tue, May 18, 2010.

Shotgunlo - If the "most excellent representative" leads us straight down the path to socialism, stripping our freedoms and changing us into a nation where the people serve the govt., instead of how the founders intended where the govt. is a servant to the people, then let's look for an ideologue. Someone who believes in the principles of our founders. In this race you have 4 people who profess that belief. Not a bad place to start. CaPatriot- Let's start with some division in DC. The country has been on a two year undivided path to financial & political destruction.

• posted at 3:21 am on Tue, May 18, 2010.

Nothing about running for office is clean. I recall Dukakis tried that approach in 1988. Look where that got him. Amador and Goehring are just too nutty and extremist for the good of America or our district. Harmer's a dull same-old insider that got America to the craptastic state we're in. Everything he says is legalistic government doublespeak and he'd sell us out for a dollar. Emken might be scummy, but she's the best of this lousy bunch.However, best for the job doesn't seem to enter the minds of folk so much as, "...who is best-equipped to battle incumbent Democrat Jerry McNerney." We've got our politics backwards if we're looking for someone with a particular nametag rather than the most excellent representative we can get.

• posted at 2:48 am on Tue, May 18, 2010.

Democrats are on their way out and good riddence to them! Register and VOTE!

• posted at 1:04 am on Tue, May 18, 2010.

Amador and Harmer are the only ones running a clean campaign. Goehring and Emken have resorted to exactly the kind of politics we are trying to rid DC of...politics as usual, and hitting below the belt- Goehring is the kind that would just incite more divisiveness and this country doesn't need any more of that.