Irksome to some, pollution inspectors in San Joaquin County say they work to clean our air

Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 10:00 pm

In late November, an inspector with the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District cruised through a neighborhood of stately homes north of Turner Road.

It was a Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 p.m., and the inspector noted that smoke was issuing from the chimney of a home at the corner of Junewood Drive. As that day in November was an official "no-burn" day, the inspector then mailed off a "notice of violation" that the homeowner had broken air regulations by having a fire and was therefore required to pay a $50 fine.

• posted at 9:30 am on Sun, Mar 1, 2009.

This is where all the waste in the state is located. Agencies like this. 310 employees at 200k each is only 62 million yet the budget is 137 million. Where does all the money go? Why not only have 150 people in the department and add 150 sheriffs? This is the biggest joke in the world. These departments could be ELIMINATED with no adverse effect on citizens, yet they never talk about cutting this department, no no, lets cut teachers and cops and firefighters. This is why there should never be another tax increase....

• posted at 2:59 am on Sun, Mar 1, 2009.

Andrew Adams: This is a fine article! We need more like this. It makes me reflect on the inanity of many state agencies. Air pollution is a serious issue, but sending out bureaucrats (who esentially retire the day they are hired), to drive around polluting the air WHILE hunting for a chimney with any wisp of smoke is ludicrous. Its hilarious until you realize that working teachers are being pink slipped so these self-appointed chimney patrolmen are where our tax money is going. We need to start downsizing our state government. Many of our state employees really don't work for agencies, they work for "commissions" each with their own monstrous bureacracy. These commissions hide under the radar of public opinion. I wonder if the smog patrol investigator uses his government vehicle for transportation between home and work? on weekends? vacations? Yes, I know there might be some campfires near his secret fishing spot. ROFL... Give me a break. Hypocrites---all of them.

• posted at 1:20 am on Sun, Mar 1, 2009.

As much as I loathe the idea of some State tax-sucker driving around in a polluting car looking for fireplace smoke, Smog is an enormous problem in this area. I drive in from the Bay Area and when I pop over the Willow Pass and look east...its often, well, like what I've seen in China. A solid gray massof guk. I burn these Duraflame-like logs and man, do they put out the acrid smoke! I think I'll install a gas log and be done with it.

• posted at 12:26 pm on Sat, Feb 28, 2009.

PART 2. HEAR MY WORDS who of you had your income increase by double PLUS 30% in one year. see ???? the state agencies do. Your lives are so regulated there is nothing you can do without a permit, approval, satisfying a regulation, or any of thousands of regulatory crap. You [WE] are slaves of a NANNY government that is destroying our lives. But the useless pimples at the 'environmental sewer of useless waste" This agency has 310 employees making a lot more than you and retiring with full benefits for doing nothing day aqnd collecting full benefits. Maybe they are suing some poor truck company for polluting.

• posted at 11:41 am on Sat, Feb 28, 2009.

An agency that destroys companies and workers, measures cow methane ??? What has happened to Kalifornia ???Ok, I will type this really slow for you nitwits, pinheads, and citizens of Lodi. Name one item in your life that is not regulated by at least 2 governmental agencies. Neither can I. You are dead meat people.

• posted at 10:14 am on Sat, Feb 28, 2009.

You have to admit, of all people in town to receive a citation.....Adam Dados. What I would have given to be there when he opened the letter. I just can't stop laughing. I hope you let us know when he'll be in court, I don't think I could miss it.

• posted at 9:45 am on Sat, Feb 28, 2009.

A budget that goes from 50 million to 137 million in one year ?? 310 people with nothing to do but pick their noses and go sniffing for campfires ?? The nanny state controllers are a poisonous snake that needs its head cut off. Next you will be cited by the Obesity Police for eating chips and a coke. When are you going to get fed up with these out of control government nannies. Maybe when they come and require you to put a methane converter on your dog or cat's posterior you will realize how crazy and out of control the State has become. These agencies are terrorists with the states blessing.

• posted at 6:03 am on Sat, Feb 28, 2009.

However, this intrusion into people's privacy is based, in my opinion, on control and money. Why? Look at these.What are Pollution Credits?http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-pollution-credits.htmCreators of carbon credit scheme cashing in on ithttp://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/cover031307.htmCooking up carbon creditshttp://money.cnn.com/2008/08/11/technology/jpmorgan_carbon.fortune/index.htmSince these credits are traded on the open market, it seems to me that the average person is funding those who do the majority of polluting; meaning they make the little guy cut back and do without so the "usual suspects" can pollute with impunity.

• posted at 6:03 am on Sat, Feb 28, 2009.

I have to agree with all of the posters as well as those quoted in the article. A few years ago, I was returning from Shasta and it is true, from that altitude you could see a blanket of gray gunk in the Valley. I was also raised in the Bay Area, where the air is fairly clean due to a stiff breeze picking up every night about 5:00 p.m.

• posted at 1:58 am on Sat, Feb 28, 2009.

Here is a non-elected governing body which sets its own regulations, administers the enforcement of those regulations and collects the fines that these rules generate. These funds are kept by the disctrict. This is the same as having the police department declare what is a crime, how to catch who thy consider guilty, determin how much a fee to charge and keep any money they can grab. If you have any civil rights concerns bout this type of government, you are not alone.

• posted at 12:32 am on Sat, Feb 28, 2009.

The state can no longer afford these types of job, cut them and all like them. I bet you could close a lot of the gap.

• posted at 12:07 am on Sat, Feb 28, 2009.

So we could lite a BBQ on those days? If so, then I am BBQ ing a steak in my converted fireplace. A man has to eat!

• posted at 9:22 pm on Fri, Feb 27, 2009.

I wonder how much pollution is caused by the inspector driving around in his car looking for violators?I am glad that Mr. Dados will fight his ticket. Who voted for the air quality control board in the first place? If we did not elect them, how can they have the power to issue tickets and fines?I am proud to say that I used my fireplace whenever I wish. If I get a ticket, the ticket will go up right into the fire.