Suspect leads officers on high-speed chase - News - Mobile

back Side Panel

Suspect leads officers on high-speed chase


A man wanted for questioning in connection with a recent Calaveras County murder led police on a high-speed pursuit from Lodi to Sacramento where he eventually pulled over and gave up Thursday evening.

California Highway Patrol officers took Gary McMahan, 31, into custody along Highway 50 and 16th Street in Sacramento after a 30-minute chase that reached speeds of 100 MPH, according to Lodi Police.

McMahan is a “person of interest” in the investigation of a bloody assault inside a West Point home that left one man dead and sent a woman to a hospital on Tuesday, according to Calaveras County Sheriff's Office Spokesman Sgt. Chris Hewitt.

Thursday afternoon, Lodi Police heard McMahan was in town.

Authorities tracked McMahan's cell phone to Lodi, where they believed he was riding a stolen Harley Davidson motorcycle, according to Lodi Police. Lodi Police officers, San Joaquin County Sheriff's deputies and Calaveras County Sheriff's Office investigators canvassed Lodi for the burgundy motorcycle around 6:20 p.m.

After roughly 30 minutes authorities received new reports regarding McMahan's location and converged in the area around Lodi Avenue and South Hutchins Street, according to Lodi Police.

An officer spotted McMahan, and once other officers closed in, McMahan fled.

McMahan, who was wearing a wig, raced east on Lodi Avenue, hitting speeds of 60 MPH before finding his way on Highway 99, according to Lodi Police. With multiple units in pursuit and CHP officers joining the chase, McMahan rode north, hitting speeds of 100 MPH.

McMahan served through rush-hour traffic, with a California Highway Patrol helicopter following overhead. But once in Sacramento, he decided to call it quits.

McMahan is being held in Sacramento County Jail and might be transported to Amador County, where two warrants are out for his arrest.

Meanwhile, Calaveras County Sheriff's Office investigators are interviewing McMahan in regards to his involvement in the West Point murder, according to Hewitt.

The Sheriff's Office received a call around 11:30 a.m. Tuesday after a neighbor found a couple bloodied and beaten. Norman Curtis Gresham III, 45, was killed while a 37-year-old woman was severely injured and currently being treated in a hospital, according to Hewitt.

Contact reporter Kristopher Anderson at