I’m going to blog today. There’s no Q&A format today, and the reason is because I have to speak my piece.
I’ve gotten some flack from endocrinologists who disagree with some of the comments made by myself or my presenters for the “summit” I held recently, which aired worldwide over the Internet.
I recorded presenters and we shared the truth about the best tests, the most effective medications, excellent laboratories and helpful supplements for all sorts of thyroid-related conditions. It took me a year, I offered it for free for the entire week (now, we sell the MP3 downloads if you missed it).
The point, and the part that blows my mind, is that some endocrinologists insist the conventional TSH test is a sufficient biomarker to detect thyroid disease! Trust me, it misses up to 80 percent of you!
Some shamefully believe that it doesn’t matter what you eat or drink. One physician said that his patients with low thyroid were just “hypochondriacs.” A psychiatrist from Ohio emailed me and had this to say regarding women with depression, “Suzy, women with depression should see a psychiatrist, and you should go back to selling drugs at the pharmacy.” Stuff like that makes me laugh, but then I think of hypothyroid self years ago, and then I think of you. Small thinking like this locks people into misery for decades!
I’m absolutely, 100, percent right with everything I said during the summit. I also stand by my presenters, who are the biggest names on the planet (www.thethyroidsummit.com). They are all world-leading authorities and bold enough to care more about you than what the status quo says. Some risked their licenses to boldly tell you information contrary to the gold standards of practice. They were paid nothing.
I have no need to defend myself or my presenters. The truth is, we received thousands of thank you notes and positive comments. We have respect from good endocrinologists and other docs that were grateful for the learning experience. What I want to do today is empower you, because old-school docs are apt to mislead you. This isn’t against doctors; I love them, many are my dearest friends. I’m against uninformed practitioners who refuse to learn. So listen to me: this is how to destroy your thyroid:
1. By trusting the TSH blood test. If this is all your doctor tests, you’re in trouble. Run! This test is a mere reflection of brain levels of thyroid hormone. It has nothing to do with intracellular levels. You might be sick as heck, but your TSH could be normal, in fact, the sicker you are, the more likely your TSH and total T3 levels are normal. Shocking but true.
2. By seeing psychiatrists and taking antidepressants when you need thyroid medicine, The biggest study ever done on antidepressants (called the Star D trial) proved that thyroid medicine worked better than some popular antidepressants.
3. By taxing your liver. Most thyroid hormone is activated in your liver, not your thyroid gland. Eating refined junk food or taking medications suppresses your ability to convert T4 to T3, and T3 is what makes you feel energetic and happy. Alcohol harms your liver. Certain wines are very high in saponins, a soap-like chemical that harms the gut. Saponins, also found in oatmeal, reduce thyroid hormone.
4. By eating a lot of soy-based foods and drinks. Soy is often genetically modified, plus it’s a goitrogen, so it lowers thyroid hormone.
5. By letting yourself become iodine deficient. Going vegetarian or vegan can induce iodine deficiency in as little as five days in some people.
This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. For more information about Suzy Cohen, visit her Website at www.suzycohen.com.