Your guide to the best Labor Day ever
The Hot Air Balloon Festival in Ripon is one of many ways to celebrate Labor Day.
Do you know why we celebrate Labor Day? Take the quiz to test your holiday knowledge.
1. When is Labor Day?
a. Friday, Sept. 7.
b. Monday, Sept. 3.
c. Thursday, July 4.
2. Who began the labor movement?
a. Peter McGuire.
b. Barack Obama.
c. Tom Cruise.
3. Why did he have to work at such a young age?
a. He couldn’t get a baseball scholarship.
b. His mother died during childbirth.
c. His father went to war and he had to help support his family.
4. What happened in the spring of 1872?
a. Peter McGuire and 100,000 workers went on strike.
b. A factory fire killed 100,000 workers.
c. Peter McGuire quit his job.
5. What did Peter become known as?
a. Disturber of the public peace.
c. Distribution manager.
6. What were the organized workers demanding?
a. A 6-hour day, two weeks vacation.
b. A longer lunch hour.
c. An 8-hour day, secure job and future in their trades.
7. When was the first Labor Day Parade held?
a. Sept. 5, 1982.
b. Sept. 5, 1882.
c. Sept. 5, 1802.
8. When did congress vote Labor Day a federal holiday?
1. b., Monday, Sept. 3. 2. a., Peter McGuire. 3. c., His father went to war and he had to help support his family. 4. a., Peter McGuire and 100,000 workers went on strike. 5. a., Disturber of the public peace. 6. c., An 8-hour day, secure job and future in their trades. 7. b., Sept. 5, 1882. 8. a., 1894.
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 8:53 am
The last three-day weekend of the summer is approaching. Will it be hot? Probably. Will it be boring? Definitely not. Here are ways to celebrate this federal holiday at your pace, from hot air balloon rides to days on the beach.
For the person who wants to get up and go
Friday, August 24, 2012 8:53 am.