Here is a list of tasks for high school students this month:
- Complete your applications for regular admissions.
- Make sure you’ve had your test scores sent to all colleges that require them.
- Confirm that your letters of recommendation have been sent.
- Submit the FAFSA (Free application for financial aid).
- If you are accepted to a school through early decision, be sure to follow directions carefully. Submit required forms, and notify the other schools to which you applied of your decision.
- Continue to focus on your grades and extracurricular involvement.
- Have midyear grades sent to colleges.
- Continue to keep track of all deadlines and application components.
- Continue to research scholarships. Apply for scholarships well in advance of deadlines.
- GPA verification for FAFSA in program will be sent in electronically by the registrars on behalf of the senior class. Make sure to verify that your social security number is correct with your school’s registrar.
The following California State universities are still accepting applications for fall 2014: East Bay, Dominguez Hills, Channel Islands and Cal Maritime (Business Administration and Global Studies majors only). Filing period could close at any time.
Don’t forget to sign up for the SAT/ACT. ACT testing will be held in April at Tokay and Bear Creek high schools.
Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors
Your counselors are beginning to schedule courses for next school year.
Need help planning for life beyond high school? Try bigfuture by The College Board, a free online program.
To help you find your future career, college or major, go to PayScale. This handy resource lists salary potential by school and major.
Tokay High School: Financial Aid Information Night from 6 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 15 for the Class of 2014 and their families, in the Tokay Theater.