The mission of Joe Serna Jr. Charter School is to create an educational opportunity of choice that offers kindergarten through eighth-grade students an exemplary education that guides them toward lifelong learning, self-motivation and responsible citizenry.
The school seeks to assist students to value diversity, attain a global perspective and develop a community spirit, supported by parents, staff and the community.
Joe Serna Jr. Charter School strives to provide authentic and challenging opportunities for students. There is a strong focus on language arts, math, science and social science with an emphasis on application of information and knowledge. In addition, visual and performing arts are integrated throughout the curriculum. Through two-way immersion, English-speaking students become proficient in Spanish and Spanish-speaking students become proficient in English while maintaining their native language.
- Small school: Joe Serna Jr. Charter School has 14 classes of kindergarten through eighth grade, with a total of 290 students.
- Community: Each parent, teacher and staff member commits to constructing a positive learning environment in which students are the focus.
- Character development: Behavioral expectations agreed upon by the staff will be taught, emphasized and reinforced.
Parents as partners
- Common learning experiences: Agreed upon best practices and curriculum will be common to all classrooms.
- Assessment: Frequent and meaningful assessment will focus on quality of work and will drive instruction of the teachers.
- Authentic experiences: Students go on several field trips each year to see the things they are learning about in the community.
Joe Serna Jr. Charter School is celebrating its 12th year this year, and there are several events the school is sponsoring or participating in over the next several weeks for the Lodi community.
On April 28 at 4:30 p.m., we will be hosting our fourth annual Wine and Dine event at the historic Bare Ranch. Dinner will be catered by Alebrijes Mexican Bistro and the wine will be provided by Michael~David Winery. Tickets can be purchased by calling 209-331-7809.
Our school band will be playing at Borra Vineyards on May 11 in conjunction with the St. Anne's School Band. They will be playing with several professional musicians and will be led by Frank Bailey, the band conductor.
Finally, our school will be hosting a Combating Childhood Obesity workshop also on Friday, May 11, at the school. For registration, please contact Ali Britschgi at email@example.com.
Michael Gillespie is the principal of Joe Serna Jr. Charter School.