Vintage View: General Mills comes to Lodi
The General Mills plant along Turner Road was 3 years old when this aerial photograph of the operation was taken in 1949. In 1946, General Mills, the largest flour producer and one of the largest breakfast cereal and animal feed producers at the time, announced it was building a plant in Lodi to expand its West Coast market and reach Asian countries. The plant was built on Ray Gerard’s 20-acre cherry orchard across from Lodi Lake. The $2 million plant officially opened on June 5, 1948. A year later the lake, with its undeveloped shore and the surrounding orchard land, showed that Lodi’s post-World War II housing boom had not reached the plant.
© Copyright 2016, Lodinews.com, Lodi, CA. Powered by Blox CMS from TownNews.com.