In 1936, members of the Lodi Fire Department lined up for a photograph outside Lodi Fire Station No.1 on Main Street. Most of the men were businessmen and farmers who volunteered for the department. They were summoned to fires by the loud fire alarm behind the station. The alarm, heard all over the city, blasted in a code that told volunteers where the fire was located, and they responded directly to the scene. Shown kneeling in front, from left: Clifford Bull; Albert Peters; John Miller; Fire Chief William Moser, one of the few paid firefighters at the time; George Polenske; Jack Baker; David Mittlieder; and Harold Diehl. Second row, from left: Matt Rodacker, Leonard Kolb, John Perrin, John Stirm, John Schaeffer, Jerry Hellwig and Earl May. Third row, from left: Bob McLane, Robert Channell, Kenneth McLane, Bert Wilson, Frank Buell, Jake Philippi and Louie Rinn. Back row, from left: Matt Sherman, Gustave Hust, John Jacobsen, Jack Peters, Irwin Newcomb, Art Blewett, Albert Nuss, Wayne Wilson and Harold Dames.