City opened second fire station in 1924
The Lodi Fire Department's two engines are shown in front of Lodi City Hall and Fire Station No. 1 at 114 N. Main Street. This photograph was taken in the 1920s when Lodi's second fire station was built at Maple Square west of the railroad tracks on Lodi Avenue.
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 12:00 am
From the early 1900s on, it was clear Lodi was growing faster to
the west. And that presented a problem.
Lodi's only fire station was located at City Hall, 114 N. Main
St., east of the railroad tracks that divided the growing city. If
there was a fire west of the tracks and a train blocked the roads,
then the fire equipment would be trapped and unable to get to the
Saturday, May 21, 2011 12:00 am.
| Location Tags: