Plans for free swimming pool sink in 1914
The Lodi Municipal Baths, shown here as it was ready for demolition, opened in 1917 and operated as a public swimming pool in Hale Park until 1948. The building, originally built over the pool as a "peeping tom proof" measure, was used as a Boy Scout meeting hall and a recreation center beginning in 1952. The building was later condemned and torn down in 1988. The pool was filled in and covered with a parking lot.
Posted: Saturday, June 7, 2014 12:00 am
A century ago, in the hot summer of 1914, a local group began a doomed push to build a free public swimming pool in Lodi.
Pools were extremely rare in those early days. Often called a "plunge," "swimming tank" or "municipal baths," pools were usually built with a city or business backing. Stockton and Sacramento had public mineral baths.
Saturday, June 7, 2014 12:00 am.