December 1913 an eventful, prosperous month for Lodi
The Bank of Lodi unveiled its new quarters at the southwest corner of Pine and Sacramento streets in December 1913. The Lodi Sentinel called it “the finest banking quarters on the Pacific Coast”. The new bank building replaced the old wooden Hotel Lodi on that corner.
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2013 12:00 am
December a century ago was a prosperous time in Lodi. The Bank of Lodi opened its new building in Downtown. Growers were elated with a successful grape harvest and were spending money on new automobiles. But grammar schools were seriously overcrowded, and city streets were in bad shape, with no paving and no drainage during rains.
Though the community rejoiced in its good fortune, Lodi was having growing pains.
Saturday, December 7, 2013 12:00 am.