Lodi Union High School cornerstone laid 100 years ago
Lodi Union High School’s main classroom building facing Hutchins Street is shown in this photograph taken around 1920. The cornerstone for this building was laid on Feb. 13, 1913.
- Cornerstone’s 100th anniversary marked with plaque and museum exhibit
The 100th anniversary of the cornerstone laying at Lodi Union High School will be commemorated with a plaque dedication ceremony and a special exhibit at the San Joaquin County Historical Museum.
The plaque ceremony will be held at 10 a.m. on Feb. 13 at the entrance to Kirst Hall at Hutchins Street Square. The public is invited.
The special exhibit with the cornerstone’s time capsule contents from 100 years ago will be ready for viewing by Feb. 13. The exhibit will be in the Weber-Kennedy Gallery of the Erickson Building at the San Joaquin County Historical Museum located in Micke Grove Park south of Lodi. The museum is open Wednesdays through Sundays, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The old high school site, at Hutchins Street between Walnut and Oak streets, served Lodi students from 1913 to 1977 when it was closed. The buildings sat empty and decayed until the Old Lodi Union High School Site Foundation was formed and began fundraising and renovation. Between 1980 and 1998, the site was reborn as Lodi’s community center, Hutchins Street Square.
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2013 12:00 am
One hundred years ago, Feb. 13, 1913, was a momentous day in Lodi.
That winter day, with perfect weather and throngs of proud citizens, Lodi celebrated the ceremonial laying of a cornerstone in Lodi's grand new high school under construction at Hutchins and Oak streets.
Or, use your
Saturday, February 2, 2013 12:00 am.