Children’s Hour at the Movies in 1912
The Lyric Theater was first located on Pine Street, just east of the School Street intersection, as shown in this photograph. Later, the theater moved to Sacramento Street. After a little more a year in operation, the theater was purchased by the Tokay Theater.
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:00 am
Updated: 7:22 am, Sat Mar 17, 2012.
A century ago, Lodians were worried about sinful influences on their children.
The early spring of 1912 was a time when automobiles were beginning to outnumber horses, and the need for hitching posts in newly paved streets was argued. There were two grammar schools, one high school and a new public library building. The city was buying rubber coats for its volunteer firefighters and planning to install electric street lights by summertime.
Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:00 am.
Updated: 7:22 am.