Frank Beckman, Hilliard Welch and Wilson Thompson store served Lodi in the early 1900s
Between 1900 and 1904, the staff of Thompson and Beckman's store line up outside the grocery on South Sacramento Street. From left: Wilson Thompson; Hilliard Welch who became a part owner in 1904; Edwin Steacy; Jean Hogan; Jean Knowles; Frank Beckman; Adam Brehm; Mr. Cooper; and the store's delivery horse, Polly, harnessed to a wagon not visible in the photograph.
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 12:00 am
In the early 1900s, the Lodi store that had nearly everything
anyone could want was Beckman, Welch and Thompson's.
Customers could buy anything from ground coffee, thread and
thimbles to 10-pound sacks of flour, nails and plows at the store
on Sacramento Street. While the popular grocery and hardware store
was an important and regular stop for early Lodians, the store also
was noteworthy because of its three young owners.
Saturday, April 2, 2011 12:00 am.