Vintage View: Lodi’s Carnegie Library
This early photograph shows Lodi’s Carnegie Library building on West Pine Street just a few years after it was built in 1910. The building was the first permanent home of the library and among the first municipal buildings Lodi erected. It was built with a $9,000 grant from the Carnegie Foundation. Designed by Stockton architect Walker King and built by J. Lucas, the building was dedicated Feb. 12, 1910, in a grand ceremony. This building served as the Lodi Library for 69 years until 1979. That year, a new library building was opened at Church and Locust streets. The old library building on Pine Street was remodeled in 1989 and became Carnegie Forum, where the city council and various city commissions hold public meetings.
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:00 am
Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:00 am.