default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard

Authorities engage in standoff, fight fire on East Oak Street

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 9:40 pm

One person is dead after a standoff in Lodi on Tuesday.

San Joaquin County Sheriff’s deputies and Lodi police officers and firefighters were on scene of a standoff and house fire on the 300 block of East Oak Street on Tuesday evening.

Sheriff’s deputies received information about a recent Honor Farm escapee, which led them to a residence on that block, according to Lt. Dave Oliver of the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies located a person of interest who ran back in the house and barricaded himself inside, leading to a standoff between him and deputies. The man inside died during the standoff, according to Oliver. His identity was not released, and the cause of death is under investigation.

At around 5:20 p.m. officers and deputies had rifles and guns drawn, facing the residence, while they gave the person inside commands to come out with his hands up.

A fire had also started in the residence, drawing the need for help from Lodi Fire Department firefighters, who stood by as law enforcement went in with ballistic shields to clear areas of the house. From outside the house, fire crews hosed down burning areas through windows that police broke through. Police cleared areas and escorted firefighters to different sections of the house from the outside to access the fire.

The blaze was contained to one room of the residence, Oliver said, and its cause is not yet known.

Very close to the scene were more than 50 bystanders from the neighborhood, watching the standoff play out. Many were young children.

Down the street from the residence, one of the neighbors, Lauren Hart, was watching with her family and said that she saw officers throw tear gas into the residence.

The house has a bit of suspicious activity surrounding it, she said.

“In my opinion, it’s always got nefarious-looking characters going in and out,” Hart said.

Nearby in the back seats of two sheriff’s cars were two unidentified women.

Soon K-9 units were sent in to search for the person inside, and after an hour, sheriff’s deputies entered the residence.

By 7:30 p.m. law enforcement were giving firefighters and paramedics notice that they could pack up and leave the scene. The guns that were pointed at the residence were put away, and crime scene tape went up around the scene.

The investigation is ongoing, and no further information was available Tuesday night.

Contact reporter Christina Cornejo at



New Classifieds Ads


Mailing List

Subscribe to a mailing list to have daily news sent directly to your inbox.

  • Breaking News

    Would you like to receive breaking news alerts? Sign up now!

  • News Updates

    Would you like to receive our daily news headlines? Sign up now!

  • Sports Updates

    Would you like to receive our daily sports headlines? Sign up now!

Manage Your Lists