With Thanksgiving just a few days away, I thought it would be a nice thing for me to take off my snarky hat and dust off my halo and mention a few things I'm thankful for. We all have halos y'know. They just get misplaced and we forget about them sometimes. It's a good idea to get in touch with your gracious side once in awhile. If you can't find your halo . . . check the sock drawer. They like socks.
Anyway . . . I'm thankful for lots of things. And not just because it's Thanksgiving. I'm thankful often. It's easy to lose sight of the good things in your life when you get caught up in the stress and hardships of everyday life. So stop and count your blessings now and then.
That said . . . in no order of importance, here are twenty of mine:
1. I'm thankful for the fact that those cool retro cruiser bicycles came back into style. People look happier and prettier when they ride them.
2. I'm thankful for my girlfriends who know all my secrets and love me anyway. Some of these friends go back for decades (that's a LOT of secrets!)
3. I'm thankful for my husband who loves me unconditionally. That's a tall order.
4. I'm thankful that my husband is a tall man who can handle a tall order.
5. I'm thankful for the Coen Brothers.
6. I'm thankful that I don't have to cook on Thanksgiving Day. We will, of course, roast a turkey over the weekend so we can have the sandwiches - you gotta have the sandwiches.
7. I'm thankful for my big brother who loves me and keeps me sane and makes me laugh.
8. I'm thankful that even the most dysfunctional members of my family are physically healthy. And that there's always hope.
9. I'm thankful I have a job that I love most of the time.
10. I'm thankful for the new roof we just put on our house before the rain started.
11. I'm thankful for the fresh mushroom soup at the Wine Country Restaurant.
12. I'm thankful that I have no air travel plans in my immediate future.
13. I'm thankful for birthdays.
14. I'm thankful that I have a dog who gets so excited by my very presence that she leaps around me in circles. (Well. To be honest, she leaps around everyone, but I think she leaps a little bit higher for me.)
15. I'm thankful that I live within spittin' distance of some of the finest wineries in the world.
16. I'm thankful for my DVR.
17. I'm thankful for Red Roobios Tea.
18. I'm thankful for everyone who reads this blog (which is much of the "love" part of my job).
19. I'm thankful that my husband's brother married such a cool chick (who also loves me and knows all my secrets).
20. And finally, I'm thankful for the genius of Dr. F. Karl Gregorius a neurosurgeon who opened up my brain and fixed it when it was broken. Without that particular gift, I wouldn't be around to enjoy my blessings.
After rereading my list, I've noticed that mixed in with all the stuff I'm thankful for . . . I have a lot of love in my life.
How cool is that?