Women of a Certain Age

Kimberly Anger
  • Kimberly Anger
  • E-mail: amazingangers@comcast.net
  • Kimberly's blog celebrates the trials and tribulations of being "a woman of a certain age."
Sunday 11/27/2011
Who said he could leave the court?

Like a great number of women my age, I have adult children. Getting to this point has been a combination of joy, struggle, frustration, happiness and pride. There have been millstones and milestones as they have reached new levels of responsibility and achievement.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:43 am. Updated: 6:09 pm. Comments (1)

Thursday 11/17/2011
Keeping it real in the ’burbs

I went for a morning walk earlier this week. Because the mornings are crisp and clear, this is my favorite time of year for walking. As I walked along I was enjoying an eclectic selection of music on my iPod. It started with Toad The Wet Sprocket's Dam Would Break, followed by I Shouted Your Name by Curtis Salgado, Blondie's Dreamin' and then I'll Be Here Awhile by 311. See? Quite the varied playlist and I was secretly congratulating myself on my musically open mind.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:07 pm. Updated: 6:09 pm. Comments (1)

Sunday 11/13/2011
Some stories simply do not end ... ever

Many years back, in my teens, my mom casually mentioned that when she was in her 7th month of pregnancy with me, she threatened to miscarriage. This wasn't an informational exchange, this was just conversation. I asked her what happened and she told me she took a drug, went to bed and rested. Oh, and she couldn't hang out wash until after I was born. One day before Mom's due date I appeared; all 8 pounds, 12 ounces of me. Fat, pink and healthy...kind of like today. So can we assume the story ended well?

Posted in Women of a certain age on Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:42 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Sunday 11/06/2011
Get her some sweatpants! STAT!

I know I've written about blue jeans before, but like a dog with a bone, I just can't seem to let it go. Most people absolutely love jeans. To quote the advertisement produced by the cotton industry, they are the fabric of our lives and as meaningful to many as food and water. Even little Max knows the difference between "pants" and "jeans". Sorry, but I do not share this love affair with man's oldest fashion, right after animal skins.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Sunday, November 6, 2011 9:50 am. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Sunday 10/30/2011
Blindsided

In the opening credits of the movie The Blind Side, Sandra Bullock narrates the preceding play and epic career-ending injury Joe Theismann sustained during an NFL game. She explains in detail which player missed his assignment and allowed Lawrence Taylor to hit Theismann from his blind side. After that, the movie pretty much was lost on me.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:49 pm. Comments (2)

Thursday 10/27/2011
The ugly side of nature

"With wings spun of silver and hearts of gold, these tiny creatures our hearts behold. With angelic features and colors so bright, make even the heaviest heart seem light. The magical way they flit through the sky, they appear, then vanish in the blink of an eye. They're sending a message for us to retrieve: Anything's possible for those who believe!" - Christopher Griffiths

Posted in Women of a certain age on Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:28 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Monday 10/24/2011
They were Ohana to us Haoles

We recently took a trip to Oahu. It was after our son's wedding and we figured if they could go on a honeymoon, so could we. Our 29th honeymoon to be exact. (I'll add a note here about those who think Oahu is all flash and traffic and tourists and LA-like development. Well it is in some places but there are other parts of the island that are just magical and I'm glad we chose to go back)

Posted in Women of a certain age on Monday, October 24, 2011 3:15 am. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (0)

Tuesday 10/11/2011
Now the fun begins

It was the perfect wedding. The sun smiled down on them as they exchanged their vows and then sealed them with a kiss. Then they danced back down the rose petal lined aisle to join their family and friends for photos that would forever capture the moment.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:15 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Sunday 10/02/2011
If it’s pink ... it must be October

I know right up front this blog is going to offend the sensibilities of some breast cancer survivors and their supporters; yet I persist.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Sunday, October 2, 2011 7:17 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Sunday 09/25/2011
Why I'll never be the ‘Get off my lawn’ gal

Its Sunday evening and I'm sitting at my computer.  There is a huge window next to the computer and with this welcome change in the weather, it is wide open.  Its dark out but I can hear the neighborhood children playing in the street.  Young voices running and laughing and being children.  That wonderfully innocent song of kids enjoying the late summer evening.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:32 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Wednesday 09/21/2011
Wedding vows — more than pretty words

You've heard them hundreds of times.  You've probably spoken them or been a witness to them.  Its those popular wedding vows.  The ones that have you promising to love, honor and obey.  Back in the 70s many couples chose to strike the idea of "obey" and substitute it with cherish, something a modern, liberated woman could actually promise and mean.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:01 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (0)

Saturday 09/17/2011
When it’s your time ...

There's been some events just recently that have really taken their toll...death toll that is.  Last year 8 spectators were killed in the California desert during an off-road race when a truck jumped the barrier and landed in the crowd.  Last month it was an outdoor concert where the stage collapsed and killed some of the folks right up front.  Yesterday, it was the Reno Air Races that caused the fatalities in the box seats.  Other than letting go of the idea that being as close to the action as possible is a good thing, it caused me to think about the concepts of fate and destiny.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:14 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (2)

Saturday 09/10/2011
The Lion King

As the wedding of my oldest son, Christian, approaches, I'm struck at the wonder of it all.  I shouldn't be surprised or caught off guard by their marriage.  They have been together for 12 years and they are 28 and 27.  What did I think was the next logical step?  Yet, the bride's mom and I discussed just today how it felt so surreal, like we were moving from task to task and the gravity of the event had not sunk it.  I think its a "Mom" thing.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:55 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (0)

Tuesday 09/06/2011
Don’t hate me because I have ‘Bingo Wings’

Way back when..oh let's say the olden days, women's fashions were appropriately modest.  The collars were up to their ears and hems just brushed the tops on their button-up shoes.  There was no "off the shoulder" or just a "peep of thigh".  The clothes were voluminous with corsets and layers of undergarments.  In those days, any body flaws a woman had, were well concealed.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:28 pm. Comments (1)

Saturday 08/27/2011
She who laughs last

We get chances to laugh at ourselves every, single day. Many of us don’t take the opportunity for one reason or another and, well...that’s just a shame.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Saturday, August 27, 2011 4:33 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (0)

Thursday 08/18/2011
My finest work

Tonight, oldest son Christian and I went to see one of our favorite bands, Toad the Wet Sprocket (do not mock please).  Christian and I have traveled to see this band for the last 10 years or so.  And giving that he is getting married this coming October, I figured it was probably our last venture out.  We have been going to concerts since he was 10.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:16 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (0)

More than an exercise class

Earlier this week I took an aquatic exercise class with one of my Gal Pals. It was something we had always talked about doing. But this class was special because my Gal Pal's daughter was the instructor. As it turned out I got some exercise and spent quality time with great friend. But, I got something else. I got to see up close and personal how one of my friend's kids turned out.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:35 pm. Comments (0)

Sunday 08/14/2011
Why do we stop playing?

As I recently wrote, Jim and I have had several opportunities to be with Grandson Max these past weeks.  Retirement has allowed us to be pretty darned flexible when the kids need child care or we just want some time with our boy.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Sunday, August 14, 2011 3:24 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Friday 08/12/2011
Why do we stop learning?

I had an opportunity to spend quite a bit of time with Grandson, Max, this week.  At 19 months, he is learning about this world at the speed of light.  You tell him a donkey says hee-haw, he accepts it as fact, files it and moves on.  Five minutes later when you ask what a donkey says...he tells you "hee-haw" with great joy and his little nose scrunched up.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Friday, August 12, 2011 7:02 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Sunday 08/07/2011
I have immunity!

Jim and I were watching the last 45 minutes of a movie last night, Predator XVII, I think.  You know the drill:  Alien Monster stalks hapless do-gooders.  The Aliens had superior internal technology, knowledge of the landscape and weapons that would literally shoot right out of their fingertips.  But, when it came right down to it, the Aliens had the greatest weapon of all...fear.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Sunday, August 7, 2011 10:50 am. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Tuesday 07/26/2011
Cheating death AND the insurance company

Like most people my age I have life insurance. I bought a $150k policy way back when the boys were little. The amount was designed to bury me, take care of the boys college education (okay, everyone done laughing?) and any incidentals Jim might need to carry on a life with out me or my income.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:18 am. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Living outside my normal boxes

If you've shopped anywhere recently, you've probably been asked to complete an online survey about customer service and such and there is usually a chance of winning a pretty nice prize.  The URL  to the survey is traditionally at the bottom of your receipt.  I always participate in this surveys because, heck, I just might win something.  And, this would most likely explain the amount of sales material and spam I receive.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:27 am. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (0)

Saturday 07/16/2011
Werner Erhard didn’t get the last laugh

Back in 1978, it was a whole new world for me.  I was out on my own and in my first real adult (I thought) relationship.  Think about 1978.  Think about the fashion, the music and the culture.  Our Hippie leaders were no longer relevent and as a generation we were left to our own devices.  Most of us turned to drugs at one point or another to expand our minds but all that really did was expand our troubles.  And because nature abhors a vacuum, something new came along.  Self-awareness and self-discovery were becoming big business and there was money to be made from sheep like me: People who wanted to squeeze every drop out of life.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Saturday, July 16, 2011 3:58 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (2)

Saturday 07/09/2011
What day is this...really?

Remember when you were a kid and Saturday came?  For me it meant up early with cold cereal and cartoons.  And not today's stilted animated crap or feel good, morally centered ones like Barney, Care Bears or Dora the Explorer, who's main goal is to sell merchandise and not entertain anyway.  Nope!  We're talking Looney Tunes with Bugs, Sylvester, Tweety, Porky Pig and my personal favorite Daffy Duck.  This was a time where no one was overly concerned if it was damaging to the childhood psyche if Elmer Fudd blew Daffy's beak off repeatedly with a shotgun.  But by 11:00 the TV was off and it was back to real life and chores.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Saturday, July 9, 2011 9:25 am. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Monday 07/04/2011
It’s all about Independence!

My sis asked me yesterday, "So how is retirement?".  I have been retired one week today and I really have no idea how retirement is.  The morning after I retired we headed to Susanville; ate, drank, partied and I got to experience my very first post-retirement hangover.  Drove (I rode) 450 miles in 3 days.  Next day I flew to the Seattle area, with my sis and my mom, to a niece's wedding.  1500 miles and 2 full days spent in airports.  Today is the 4th of July.  Being a holiday, I wouldn't be working anyway.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Monday, July 4, 2011 10:50 am. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Tuesday 06/21/2011
On the move part two

I've watched enough National Geographic to recognize characteristics of certain animals.  And if you watch society closely, you will see those same traits in human interaction as well.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:46 am. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (0)

Wednesday 06/15/2011
The last stop

For an event that was so well planned for so long, its coming down to crunch time.  I'm supposed to be well on my way to giddy by now, but there is still so much to do.  I guess I am supposed to slip into a short-timer mentality, but its simply not the way I work.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:19 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (2)

Wednesday 06/08/2011
Whatchwaitinfor?

It's been said that life is not a dress rehearsal. I can attest to that because no amount of rehearsal could have prepared me for the life I have been living.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:48 pm. Comments (2)

Friday 06/03/2011
Money of my own

With a very short period of time left before I retire, Jim and I are taking care of some of the niggly details of creating a more relaxing lifestyle, and man there's a lot to do before you get to do nothing.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Friday, June 3, 2011 11:43 am. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (4)

Tuesday 05/31/2011
Watch that first step

26 days. That's it. After months...no years of planing its nearly here. And yet for all that retirement planning, number crunching and dreaming, I'm still terrified.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 2:37 pm. Comments (2)

Tuesday 05/24/2011
Too bad there’s not a APP for parenting, Part 2

Every time I set out to write a post like this, I feel myself creeping toward being a crotchety old woman.  Well, I am "A Woman of a Certain Age", but what that really means is that I've lived enough of a life to form opinions based on personal experience.  That in itself gives me license to push forth.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:33 am. Comments (0)

Saturday 05/21/2011
God 1, Self Indulgent Blowhard 0

It's 1:40pm on May 21st here in California and Harold Camping and his Family Radio followers and fans have missed their deadline in New Zealand. Its not likely that the end of days will start in a previously undisclosed location and catch us all with our pious pants down. Its as everyone, but Mr. Camping predicted: That our lives will go on. That we will continue to love and hope and make mistakes and make amends.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Saturday, May 21, 2011 1:18 pm. Comments (3)

Friday 05/20/2011
Will work for ...

...I'm just not sure for what.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Friday, May 20, 2011 3:01 pm. Comments (1)

Thursday 05/19/2011
Pillow talk and the Original Fab Four

Remember the movie Pillow Talk with Rock Hudson and Doris Day? Doris was everyone's best friends and Rock was ruggedly handsome and well...gay as it turned out. But that's not what this is about.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:57 am. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (2)

Monday 05/09/2011
Its a family thing

I write about a lot of things but they are, for the most part, things I know about…things I can be sure of.  I feel I am an expert on families and food.  I have a family and I love food, so there ya go.  I am not a food critic but I know great food when I taste it and great service when I experience it.  And I can also experience the love of a family, even when they are not mine.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Monday, May 9, 2011 7:40 am. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Friday 05/06/2011
On the move

Way back when, in 1986, I started my career in the newspaper industry at the Lassen County Times in Susanville, California.  I was the afternoon receptionist.  It didn't take me long to realize the sales "gals" had more fun, more freedom and made more money.  In short order I appealed to the publisher to let me try my hand at sales.  I was in a no-lose position, taking my handsome $4.50 per hour wage with me and gaining commission.  Trouble was they didn't have a place for me so I worked off a large box for the first few weeks until office furniture and bodies could be rearranged.  I concluded my three-year tenure at the Times when Jim received a promotion in Sacramento.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Friday, May 6, 2011 12:42 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Monday 05/02/2011
Legos - Not For Men!

I thought about trying to be poignant or funny on this post but I can't think of a way to dress up the fact that an adult cannot visit the Legoland Discovery Center in Dallas, Texas, unless a child accompanies them.  I first read about this in my very own LNS.  In fact, here is the language right from their "important information" page:

Posted in Women of a certain age on Monday, May 2, 2011 3:31 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (3)

Friday 04/29/2011
Walking toward the ‘other’ light

I get up at 5:30 most weekday mornings.  Sometimes I will sleep in an extra 1/2 hour on Wednesdays because my favorite TV shows aren't over until 11.  My routine is simple:  Roll out of bed and into my walking shoes.  If I think too much about it, I'll come up with a dozen reasons why I deserve to sleep instead of walk.  When it's cold, I use the treadmill, but lately the mornings have been crisp and clear and beautiful, so I head out the front door.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Friday, April 29, 2011 1:46 pm. Comments (1)

Wednesday 04/27/2011
Sin Twisters

I'm going to say straightaway that I feel bad for women who don't have sisters.  Well, I guess I should re-phrase that to "good relationships with sisters".  Who else has the potential to be so much like you.  She is the same gender who knows the path you have taken and where all the childhood bodies are buried.  You were raised by the same people, in the same house, subjected to the same trials, drama, dynamic.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:30 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (5)

Friday 04/22/2011
Irony is often Karma's calling card

I am a firm believer in Karma.  The notion of "what comes around, goes around" appeals to me and, very often, keeps me in check.  But if I were writing the principles of Karma, I would include the stipulation that when something comes back to bite you in the arse, you would instinctively know what it was the result of.  Possibly a card would drop down or a lable would appear stating something to the effect:  You are being run over by a bus at this moment because you unceremoniously dumped a guy simply because he was a bus driver...something subtle like that.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Friday, April 22, 2011 10:28 am. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (3)

Monday 04/18/2011
A heart, under construction

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the photo to the left of this column.  If you don't recognize it, that's the Grinch's heart when it began to expand.  It even broke the little monitor used to see it.  Now, its not Christmas in April...well maybe.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Monday, April 18, 2011 3:20 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (2)

Thursday 04/14/2011
Flying blind

Nathaniel and his little family leave for Maui on Easter Sunday.  This is Nat's first real "big-boy" vacation.  They plan on playing in the sand with Max, relaxing, enjoying the sun and generally taking a break from what has been a whirlwind couple of years.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:52 am. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (2)

Friday 04/08/2011
The ‘never say die’ approach is highly over-rated

There was a time, when the kids were little, that we'd go to some event like the circus or the Ice Capades, and we'd go early and stay until the very last moment.  Then I'll admit, that for a time, I convinced the boys the show was over at intermission, we'd hurry to the car and it was years before the kids knew what an "intermission" was.  Three hours for a circus?  Really?  But, I always felt guilty...like we'd probably missed something.  Well, that and juking the boys.  But, I've grown up and so have they.  We all lived.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Friday, April 8, 2011 3:04 pm. Comments (0)

Friday 04/01/2011
One sweet ride

Way back when, when you were in high school, wasn't there one kid who had the best car ever?  For me it was 1973 and Jeff Ault had a 1967 blue GTO.  Jeff had a little blonde beard and so we called them both "The Goat".  Jeff also had a pretty good sense of humor so when me and all my friends collected pantyhose for months then created a giant net over his "Goat", he took it in stride using his pocket knife (because you could carry them to school then) to cut an opening around the driver's side door, getting in and driving away...pantyhose flapping and us standing in the parking lot, mouths agape.  Jeff showed only a slight irritation when we showed him the photo of all us girls perched on top of his pantyhose covered car.  "You sat on my car?  My baby?"  Yep, it was a beautiful car.  Now, if we'd only put that much planning and energy into our homework.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Friday, April 1, 2011 1:17 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (3)

Monday 03/28/2011
Memory Lane has a tollbooth

They say memories are priceless.  Well, I beg to differ after paying better than a hundred bucks to get four VHS tapes transferred to DVD format.  Although I'll have to admit, watching an Easter egg hunt from 1992 is a whole lot easier and infinitely more fun on DVD.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Monday, March 28, 2011 12:56 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Wednesday 03/23/2011
Breasts of a certain age

A good friend of mine was telling me she got a mammogram.  I love hearing when my friends get 'routine' mammograms.  It means they are taking care of themselves.  But mammograms are not pleasant and volumes of information have been written on how to cope, what to expect and best practices for recovery.  The bottom line is you strip it off, plop it down and grin and bear it.  No getting around it.  And no, you cannot practice for it by lying down on the chilly garage floor and having your husband slowly back the car...over your breasts.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:34 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (5)

Monday 03/21/2011
The geography of adversity

Okay Kids, head's up!  You're getting a top notch geography lesson here.  Are you paying attention?  By now you should know where Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Libya are.  And if you can point out the Gaza Strip...there are bonus points.  The good news is that no education is a waste.  Now for the bad news:  You will have learned about all these locations, and more, while watching the evening news.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Monday, March 21, 2011 9:47 am. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Wednesday 03/09/2011
Yep, that's mine there on the bottom...I want it back

Every time I think I have problems, I look around and decide that I'm just short of not having a care in the world.  And if its a contest, I'm hoping I come in last or that it's scored like golf...less is better.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Wednesday, March 9, 2011 12:32 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Tuesday 03/08/2011
Identity...free to good home

Because of my mother's declining health and the death of my step-father, my sister and I have spent the better part of 4 years sorting and dispersing, donating and storing my mother's things.  Since 2007, we downsized her from a 2 bedroom, 2 bath + 10'X10' storage unit in the Bay Area, to a 1 bedroom, 1 bath + 10'X5' in Sacramento, to her current 1 room residence at an Assisted Living facility.  During that time we ran across mountains of paperwork, peppered with social security numbers, birthdates, PIN numbers and passports.  Marriage certificates, divorce documents and custody filings and other very sensitive information was thrown in there too.  With a goal of protecting Mom, we shredded and destroyed the information.  Yep, her identity is now safe.

Posted in Women of a certain age on Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:16 pm. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (1)

Wednesday 03/02/2011
Parenting by the species

Well folks, its time for another episode of...Driving Down Stupid Lane!  Yesterday was a big day, I tell ya.  Stupid scattered over two counties.  You're probably thinking..."Only two, Kimberly?"

Posted in Women of a certain age on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:48 am. Updated: 6:10 pm. Comments (2)